1994 explorer and no sound

Participant count
  • Participant list
I recently purchased a 1994 ford explorer, not an eddie bauer edition, and i am trying to install a cd deck. i went to canadian tire and purchased one wire harness for a 1994 explorer but only half of it fits. so it turns on but none of the speakers were hooked up. so i went to future shop and bought a different harness kit for a 94 explorer and they all fit into the required plugs, BUT STILL NO SOUND. before i hooked up the second wire kit the sales man there said that sometimes explorers have an amplified system (sure doesn't sound like it) and that the would cause it to not work. he then stated that only a trained tech would be able to remedy this and that i wouldn't be able to do it myself. I have put in a few decks and amps a few years ago so i can handle anything relatively basic. what i'm wondering is if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what a solution for my problem may be.

ps i know the deck works fine and that the deck itself isn't the problem.

Originally posted by mccabepurcell I recently purchased a 1994 ford explorer, not an eddie bauer edition, and i am trying to install a cd deck. i went to canadian tire and purchased one wire harness for a 1994 explorer but only half of it fits. so it turns on but none of the speakers were hooked up. so i went to future shop and bought a different harness kit for a 94 explorer and they all fit into the required plugs, BUT STILL NO SOUND. before i hooked up the second wire kit the sales man there said that sometimes explorers have an amplified system (sure doesn't sound like it) and that the would cause it to not work. he then stated that only a trained tech would be able to remedy this and that i wouldn't be able to do it myself. I have put in a few decks and amps a few years ago so i can handle anything relatively basic. what i'm wondering is if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what a solution for my problem may be.

ps i know the deck works fine and that the deck itself isn't the problem.
If it is factory wired to an amp you will have to bypass the amp. Check out the manuals or a detailed tech book for yoru truck specifically and it should be able to show you where and how that amp is wired in. Typically it will require a bypass run on the wiring which can get a bit more complex, but best of luck to you either way.

Actually there is a bypass harness for the amplified ford systems. However if this is an amplified system and you use the deck's harness you will get sound. The reason you need to bypass the amp is because the volume becomes very very loud with very little increase on the knob. My guess is that your problem is not related to the factory amp unless it's not working (if there is one). Hope this makes sense.

Yes the bypass harness, but if the new deck is hooked up even properly he is not getting sound because the amp is not turning on due to the connections being slightly diff with the factory deck. Sometimes is easier tho just to bypass it at the amp.

Hey man this should be a easy fix if you have not already done so by now. The passenger quarter panel is where the amp is located at. Since this is your first time doing this take off the pass seat belt by roof. Take all the plastic tabs out surrounding the window. Be carefull these break easy but are inexpensive at dealership. Last of all pull up your carpet in trunk area on right side and take out screws holding panel in. Oh fold that side of the back seat down. You will see the amp unplug the two harnesses and plug them into the bypass plug. You can do this later by feel by undoing some of the window plugs and screws but do not try it until later you might break a panel.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.