18" FI Q Installed

shouldn't bass level on the headunit be all the way up? And whats the volume on the headunit at?
No.

Check your EQ settings, and other settings on HU to make sure you have a powerful enough signal. But either way, gain is input sensitive so it shouldn't matter. I have my 50hz at -5 on my HU, to adjust for crappy stock speakers, and only had to turn my gain up a tiny bit.

Something is very wrong, 3.6 is nothing voltage wise.

alright... well as you can see from the posts above I was havin some problems with the numbers my DMM was reading, so I called the guys at HiFonics and talked to an engineer there, and he said that setting 1 amp to 1 sub with a DMM is pointless... said just to play the 50Hz test tone, and adjust it by ear until it doesnt get any louder/story.

I also told him that many people on this forum were telling me I had to do it with a DMM to do it properly... he said, "Yea we have been getting a lot of calls in the last year with people asking the same question, I don't know why so many people all of a sudden think you have to use a DMM. A DMM should be used only when you have multiple amps, or you have multiple amps linked so they put out the same amount of power"

take it for what you will..

Umm, since the gain is input sensitive as stated above, I'm pretty sure that a DMM is a very helpful tool in setting the gain.

I don't use one to set my gain just to guide my setting it.

alright... well as you can see from the posts above I was havin some problems with the numbers my DMM was reading, so I called the guys at HiFonics and talked to an engineer there, and he said that setting 1 amp to 1 sub with a DMM is pointless... said just to play the 50Hz test tone, and adjust it by ear until it doesnt get any louder/story.
I also told him that many people on this forum were telling me I had to do it with a DMM to do it properly... he said, "Yea we have been getting a lot of calls in the last year with people asking the same question, I don't know why so many people all of a sudden think you have to use a DMM. A DMM should be used only when you have multiple amps, or you have multiple amps linked so they put out the same amount of power"

Again, not everyone on here says "you MUST use a DMM!!!" But if we do, we say that because most brand new noobs, who don't use a DMM, will just turn up their gain to the highest and blow their subs. Telling NOOBS to use a DMM insures they don't blow their subs. We say that for your and their sakes, not because we think you have to do it. I have set every sub I've owned by ear and have been fine.

If you can't get your DMM to read...did you say 63 volts? Then something is wrong. That should be your starting point. Set with a DMM to 63 volts on a 50 hz tone, then change to music (Hypnotize, blueberry yumyum, etc.) and maybe turn the gain up a tiny bit more. Until where it sounds good, before clipping, and before the sub is bottoming out or anything.

I usually set them with a DMM just to be sure the gain is set correctly.

But I have found that when I set by ear the gain knob usually ends up in the exact same spot that it does with the DMM.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.