17 Year Old - Little Help

Live_Free
10+ year member

Hey CarAudio Forums.

I drive a 2011 Ford Focus SES and wanted to get some better sound. As for now everything is stock. I can either spend 200 or 400 and am thinking of just getting a sub and amp. I know someone who can install it and knows what they are doing so no worry about that. But the problem is I don't know what to buy. I was thinking of a RockFord Fosgate 12in sub and 640 watt amp. But don't really know specifics. I heard that if I want two subs I would need to run a cross over and in turn rip out most of my car to redo the system, is this true? Also in order to get my system louder (for parties and such) would I need to replace my deck and all speakers?

Thanks all and sorry for the many questions I want to learn and don't know much. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

regardless of how many subs you run you'll need some kind of crossover to cut off anything above ~80hz, but just about 99.9% of all mono amps have a built in LPF (low pass filter).

feel free to ask questions lol its a lot easier to give you answers then try and fix impulse buys (which i highly suggest you don't do...). most of the mainstream stuff you see is overpriced/junk, we can hook you up with some good equipment. do you feel comfortable buying used? most of us buy stuff for a couple weeks then trade it out cause we like trying new stuff. for a full system $400 is a bit low. used headunit is gonna cost $100, sub amp & wiring kit is like $200, speakers are around $50 - $150 depending on what you buy, speaker amp you could prob snag for like $80 used. then you have the price of the subs & the cost of MDF to build a box out of

Full system for 400? No lol Just a sub and amp. I was asking if I was to do a full system would I need to rip out a lot of stuff.

Also to get my system louder I would need to redo all the speakers right?

I am DEFINITELY going to upgrade the sub and amp, but wanted to ask questions about the entire system as I am contemplating that (I would of course spend in upwards of 1k)

Not worried about wiring and boxes my father (who has worked on helicopters in the US Navy for 27 years) knows how to do all that and will be teaching me.

I would like to know what I could get (for just an amp and sub) for 200 and then also for 400.

To get louder your going to need to replace at least your fronts with at least some very good component speakers and a good amp to run them. Sound deadening would help as well. Depending on the amount of power you run, at least doing to BIG3 if not a HO alt or extra battery to keep the electrical needed for the power.

Depends on the brand and specs on what you can buy for 200 and 400, you are going to get louder spending more obviously.

Again my kicker 400.1 and Massive sub can be had for about 225 shipped.

If you are going to have stock electrical I'd run a single twelve setup on maybe 500 watts. Also, unless its a sealed box, I doubt the fact that your dad being in the navy qualifies him to build a box tuned to specs. No offense and also a twelve sealed up wont have the same output as a slot ported box.

so with this being said id check out pawn shops and haggle with them a decent budget brand is the older alpines and the rockford amps. As far as subs, I'd go something like this

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/516128-fs-600rms-%40-4-ohms.html

that is a good amp for the money, but you need to have it be either a dual 2 ohm sub or single voice coil 4 ohm.

my sub would do great on that power seen here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/515906-12-older-tc-sounds-sub.html

but you would need to port that to get its fullest potential, and because I dont want this thread to seem like we are all just trying to sell you **** here is another suggestion

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/512740-fs-2-sundown-audio-sa-12s.html

if you are looking for a nice base and nothing to major then I have an almost brand new two 12" DB Drive subs and an 1000 watt class AB mono amp that does 500 watts rms. This amp is perfect for both of the subs and all you would need is a wiring kit and a box to put them in. The work best in a ported box, but can also fit in enclosed boxes. Both subs and amp are in your price range also I can send them to you for $300 depending how far I need to ship them.

If you are going to have stock electrical I'd run a single twelve setup on maybe 500 watts. Also, unless its a sealed box, I doubt the fact that your dad being in the navy qualifies him to build a box tuned to specs. No offense and also a twelve sealed up wont have the same output as a slot ported box.
so with this being said id check out pawn shops and haggle with them a decent budget brand is the older alpines and the rockford amps. As far as subs, I'd go something like this

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/516128-fs-600rms-%40-4-ohms.html

that is a good amp for the money, but you need to have it be either a dual 2 ohm sub or single voice coil 4 ohm.

my sub would do great on that power seen here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/515906-12-older-tc-sounds-sub.html

but you would need to port that to get its fullest potential, and because I dont want this thread to seem like we are all just trying to sell you **** here is another suggestion

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-classifieds/512740-fs-2-sundown-audio-sa-12s.html
Well I didn't want to go into detail which is why I had reservations in the first place. Anyway, he is the CO now but worked as the MO and for anyone who knows the MO controls all part of maintenance of a helicopter, in short he has done the rewiring on an entire helicopter by-himself. That and he builds cars for fun, so he has built more boxes then I care to explain.

To do dual 12s wouldn't I need to run a crossover and rip up a lot of my car? I already have a small (6in?) stock sub in the back now. So I was thinking to just replace that with a good 12.

Can I put two 12s in the back of my car and run use an amp with a built in cross over so I wouldn't have to run a crossover all the way throughout my car to balance the speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.