150+db from IB. can or has this been done.?

Joseph are u down to help on the build. if so maybe we can get our builds going simultaneously. i know u want a spl build and i want a sql. u know what they say 2 heads are better then 1. this will also give me a comp buddy cause everyone else is not into audio like us!.
Yes, yes, and yes!! I am always down for a good build. And I always love to the do the parts most hate, like the tedious monotonous stuff.

Check out my car on youtube search (151.9 Saleen ) You can see no box when the guy video tapes the trunk ...one 12 one amp...on barely 13v's running with under drive pulleys...stock alt 4g power wire...lots of room left for improvements
Mr. Dave, there is not much you haven't done, and I seriously doubt anyone would ever turn down advice and a chance to pick your brain!

nice to see someone's done it without 2 24" subs. im thinking I'll do 2 15 hdds with custom soft parts more IB friendly. probably 3-4k power depending on how they handle this power in IB. what amp should i use? I would think a high damping factor would be a must. maybe a old US amps ab current hog?

what's ur plans for the wrangler?
Im gonna try to go ahead anf get a HO alt...Ive always ran stock....and probably hook up my DD M4 to two DD 9512s...It will run .5 daily most likely...I still have older DD componets in the dash...So I'll keep them....I need to find my box of 1/0 from when I pulled the system a few years ago and rerun it...Right now I have a Crossfire 1400d on my Funky Pup hybrid...and its fairly nice...but not enough ....

i think a stout IB with a long-throw sub and plenty of power can meet your goals if you are willing to build a 2" thick IB wall that totally seals off the trunk and rear deck. that means a multi-layer wall that starts below the rear deck (below the torsion bars) and extends down behind the rear seats. i think firing the sub up at the rear glass will perform better by loading the sub (like a hatchback). that means cutting out the rear deck middle and building a new frame and baffle that is supported independent of the rear deck (i.e. have sides off the floor and angles off the baffle across the rear seat opening). you'll have space for amps behind the rear seat on that vertical baffle.

my 2001 Accord sedan had an IB wall that ended up getting to 3" thick behind the rear seats but the rear deck was just deadened/sealed, not reinforced. I measured 12Hz cleanly from that IB wall, so don't get worried about low frequency performance like some think. my build log (link in sig) shows you the process in detail.

it's really easy to hit mechanical limits so typically higher Qts subs last longer.

First off thanks @keep_hope_alive ; for the reassurance and wisdom. i have a 1" thick slab of cream colored granite that i had left off a job. i was wondering if i glued a 1"thick sheet of plywood to the back;would this make a good baffle? this would eventually hold 116lbs of subs 2 15" hdds with custom softparts geared towards IB. i love the look of the granite it's just kinda been in the way really. it matches my interior pretty good to!

granite is awesome - but it would need to extend to the extents of the opening and not have gaps. so you could build a 3" or so wood wall with a framed opening for the granite slab.

then 2"-3" covering to isolate the rear deck and any other weak point into the car.

then vent the hell out of the trunk to reduce back pressure because with that cone area you aren't IB but just a leaky trunk box.

i have all kinds of diamond tools for granite work so hopefully i could make it seamless so i wouldn't have to do trim on the inside. "HOPEFULLY" I hope by the time im done i have a awesome one off build. which do u think would be better the 2 15's or 1 18" @keep_hope_alive ;? as long as i can accomplish my goals with one 18 i would be open to that. this would also save me 5-700 in sub and recones and would free up that money for electrical and new amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i can angle the baffle enough i could possibly fit 1 18. I have about 17" of height were my current box sits. if i started there and angled back towards the seats i believe a 18 may just fit. i haven't taken the old box out yet so im not 100% sure it will fit. the angle would also allow the sub to point more towards the window possibly helping with loading. this would simplify sealing the front off from the trunk as i would be well behind most of the rear deck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.