Vintage cabinets repair help

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello guys, I'm still new to this forum. I joined looking for help and info to upgrade my car's factory setup but it was crashed outside my home as some may remember. The car is fine now but I have kind of a financial crisis. I decided to buy and restore an old console with new receiver and setup to sell at my dad's furniture store. I bought it in the street in a place where you can find old furniture, and the guy who sold it to me gave me a pair of cabinets he thought were part of the console, but they aren't. Long story short, turns out the console I bought for 50 bucks (which I thought was a POS) is in very good shape, with it's warranty from 1966 and decided to keep it. I'll keep the cabinets to but they have no speakers inside and I can't see a name, logo or brand. I don't know who made this things.

They seem broken inside and I can't figure where the speaker should be mounted. This is my question. I'll post pictures to make everything clear and I can make a rough drawing (side cutout) of what it looks like inside.

Console is a Saba-Truhe Breisgrau Automatic 8 in non working condition with original greencone speakers. Is it worth anything?

Are these resonating cabinets?

Here is one of the 4 greencones. Two are about 4.5 inches and two are about 6.5

Since the small ones are mounted on the sides, I guess it would be ideal to place the console on a corner to send the sound of the side mounted drivers frontwards

I wish you the best here, but these are primarily car people. A 1966 counsil may be a tube amplifier set up. That is a whole different animal. If it is tubes there is high voltage involved. Approximately 325v on EL84's, or 400v on EL34's. Better to look on Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Forums for info. It is a vintage audio site that I belong to. Somebody there will know what you have.

Just checked it out online.Is a cool unit. If you decide to try to restore it, that will be a learning experience. I can guarantee that. I do not know if you have plugged that unit in yet? If not I would not do it until it could bring it up on a variac. Looks to be manufactured in 1957, and 1958 and it is a tube unit.When you clean it up use a lemon oil cleaner. It will make that wood stand out.I do it to all of my wood cases,and speakers. I got that trick from a "high end guy".

Do not know what to say about the short wave radio part of it...

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/saba_breisgau_automatic_8.html

Would it be a bad idea to sand it? Some of the clear coat looks cracked. I'll post on AK to see what else I can learn, I already did my own research and seems like it's a good console indeed, and I got it for $50 including those cabinets, original paperwork and some records haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.