15" Box build

speakerdude123
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
WA
I'm getting an AQ SDC2.515 for x-mas so I have decided to start the box build for it. Let me know what you guys think, or if I should change anything.

Does anyone know what the dimension on this woofer is from tip to tip? I am worried that it will hang over the edges of the box. I only have 16" of height so I cant go any taller.

Sorry for the images being so big and out of proportion, it took me a while to get them from pdf to something that I could post on here.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Needs more port. You've only got 29in^2. Up it to about 60in^2 and increase box volume to 4 cubes after all displacement.

When I ordered my sdc2.5 15", dj told me how I should make the box, and I made it in google sketchup and emailed it to him and he confirmed. Here's the box that I have, it's sub up/port back, but I suppose you could do sub back too. 4.2ish net cf, 38hz (what aq recommends)

audioque.jpg

The cutouts fit perfectly onto a sheet of mdf, too.

When I ordered my sdc2.5 15", dj told me how I should make the box, and I made it in google sketchup and emailed it to him and he confirmed. Here's the box that I have, it's sub up/port back, but I suppose you could do sub back too. 4.2ish net cf, 38hz (what aq recommends)
The cutouts fit perfectly onto a sheet of mdf, too.
Hmmm, much bigger than what I thought. I will probably end up building it to these specs though.

BTW, I think I have seen your vids on youtube, white expedition right?

Yeah it's a white expedition but i don't think I've upped any vids to youtube. Maybe one but I can't remember. That was a long time ago with sh*tty demo songs. I'll have to get a new one up

Personally I'd tune a little lower than 38, I have the same subs and tried them first at the recommended 38hz and they were really lacking on the lows. I have them at 35 now and they are better, but I am building them a new box soon that will be tuned at 32hz. Check out the vid in my sig, they are in 9.5 net @ 35 with 144in^2 port in that vid.

Personally I'd tune a little lower than 38, I have the same subs and tried them first at the recommended 38hz and they were really lacking on the lows. I have them at 35 now and they are better, but I am building them a new box soon that will be tuned at 32hz. Check out the vid in my sig, they are in 9.5 net @ 35 with 144in^2 port in that vid.
Nice vids, I see you had a type r there as well. That is what I have in my trunk right now.

I defiantly like the idea of tuning lower. How much longer would the port in the box that justafifteen posted to tune to say 32Hz?

Okay so I found this box and it is tuned to 35Hz which seems a lot easier then trying to make one myself so I'm thinking about going with this design.

Only thing I am worried about is that the front cutout has a height of 14.5", I'm guessing I would probably have to change that to a 16" front and have it overlap the top and bottom cutouts compared to what this says in order for the 15" sub to fit on the face.

4cubes34hz65sqinup916inchhieght.png

Yeah, the last design you posted looks alright. First one had too small of a port. I hate how simplistic the "free box designs" are with no bracing, 45's, roundovers, etc. And they don't account for driver displacement either. But you really can't expect much for free, generic designs.

Yeah, the last design you posted looks alright. First one had too small of a port. I hate how simplistic the "free box designs" are with no bracing, 45's, roundovers, etc. And they don't account for driver displacement either. But you really can't expect much for free, generic designs.
By 45's you mean taking away the 90 degree angle at the corners right?

How important is this and what does it exactly do?

Yep using 45's to get rid of those 90 angles. 45's help reduce port noise.. I tried a box with no 45's and the port noise was just horrible. Use 45's or be prepared to build urself a new box.. Rounded port edges also helps reduce port noise as well and it helps to keep the air moving with more ease and velosity. Less turbulence!!

P.S give Mike465 of AMI a PM he does DIY boxes for **** near the price of you buying the materials and labor of cutting it urself. He cuts everything for you 45', dowels, double baffles, rounded port edges and sends u directions on exactly how to put it together. I mean all u gotta do is glue it and boom u got urself a well built custom box. I have bought all my boxes from Mike and I am ordering a DIY kit later today from him and his work and craftsmanship is second to none.

By cheap I mean a 3.5cf box with dowels,45's, rounded port, double baffle, 54sq inches of port, using 3/4's mdf is only going to set me back $125 that includes the glue I will need to buy plus paint for the port. Of course different kinds of boxes will have different prices I am just stating mine as an example. You just cant beat that. As most custom builders on here want atleast $150 just to build a box and that dosent include the materials which is about like going to a local shop they try to bust your head and rape you with a smile. Not trying to ruffle any box builders feathers on this forum as I understand ur time is money but I think you value your time alil to much.

Yep using 45's to get rid of those 90 angles. 45's help reduce port noise.. I tried a box with no 45's and the port noise was just horrible. Use 45's or be prepared to build urself a new box.. Rounded port edges also helps reduce port noise as well and it helps to keep the air moving with more ease and velosity. Less turbulence!!
P.S give Mike465 of AMI a PM he does DIY boxes for **** near the price of you buying the materials and labor of cutting it urself. He cuts everything for you 45', dowels, double baffles, rounded port edges and sends u directions on exactly how to put it together. I mean all u gotta do is glue it and boom u got urself a well built custom box. I have bought all my boxes from Mike and I am ordering a DIY kit later today from him and his work and craftsmanship is second to none.

By cheap I mean a 3.5cf box with dowels,45's, rounded port, double baffle, 54sq inches of port, using 3/4's mdf is only going to set me back $125 that includes the glue I will need to buy plus paint for the port. Of course different kinds of boxes will have different prices I am just stating mine as an example. You just cant beat that. As most custom builders on here want atleast $150 just to build a box and that dosent include the materials which is about like going to a local shop they try to bust your head and rape you with a smile. Not trying to ruffle any box builders feathers on this forum as I understand ur time is money but I think you value your time alil to much.
Thanks for the input, but half the joy from getting a new sub is building the box for me. I enjoy working with the wood and doing this type of stuff otherwise I probably wouldn't have a subwoofer. I take the time to do it right and make it look nice, it is a hobby for me not a chore so I will be building all of this on my own.

How wide do you normally make the 45's before cutting the angles?

Oh NP. Just an idea I love building boxes also but I do not have the 100's of dollars in tools needed to make the kinda percise cuts needed. Even if I did I doubt it would still turn out half as good as having mike do it. GLWB though.

they do seem to account for driver displacement if you look at the title. the stated volume of the ones i looked at were all lower than the calculated volume. this was driving me nuts until i thought of displacement of the woofer inside the box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.