12" NVX VCW124 Subwoofer 1000 watts RMS

why do you even need to go lower when all the music genres you listed doesn't go anywhere lower than 35hz?
Pop music doesn’t go lower? My wife likes some rap too and she uses the vehicle, otherwise I cannot answer that question truthfully.
Literally every other factor we listed is what makes or breaks your sub setup that you are completely ignoring.
I'm ignoring you because you come off as sort of a know it all who seems irritated and just plain negative. Coming out and telling me in the first reply to "get someone who knows how to build an SQ tuned ported box" , ok go fk your self a-h-le. Anyone who gets a post like that would think to themselves "what a jrk" and "that was no help". Constructive criticism is one thing but that kind of negativity goes right down in flames. If you want to be like that than I do not need your help. I’ll figure it out for myself.

Sub swaps alone wont do anything unless you address core install issues.
Already acknowledged that the ported box for the Alpine was not good and its currently in a sealed 1 cube box. Would rather not discuss it any further, especially if you’re just going to be an a$$ about it.
Keeping on topic is one thing but actually getting you proper results is the key goal here. Really cant be tunnel visioning on the sub quality alone. BTW all the locals that had nvx subs, all swapped it out. Mediocre as fk.
The key goal in my topic was to gain some knowledge about the NVX subwoofers. Ironically you just shed some light on that in this last statement so thanks I guess in a strange sort of way to conclude this.

Pop music doesn’t go lower? My wife likes some rap too and she uses the vehicle, otherwise I cannot answer that question truthfully.
I'm ignoring you because you come off as sort of a know it all who seems irritated and just plain negative. Coming out and telling me in the first reply to "get someone who knows how to build an SQ tuned ported box" , ok go fk your self a-h-le. Anyone who gets a post like that would think to themselves "what a jrk" and "that was no help". Constructive criticism is one thing but that kind of negativity goes right down in flames. If you want to be like that than I do not need your help. I’ll figure it out for myself.

Already acknowledged that the ported box for the Alpine was not good and its currently in a sealed 1 cube box. Would rather not discuss it any further, especially if you’re just going to be an a$$ about it.

The key goal in my topic was to gain some knowledge about the NVX subwoofers. Ironically you just shed some light on that in this last statement so thanks I guess in a strange sort of way to conclude this.
yes that ported box is muddy compared to sealed comment triggered me oh lord oh jesus!!! (sarcasm)

I still stand by my statement(modified to you learning more about enclosure building though rather than having someone else do it) because box building is more than just building to manufacturer's recommended specs. You have to factor in your cabin gain in order to get flatter frequency response and proper vehicle/port loading to get proper phase and minimize group delay. Its supposed to be designed with your vehicle acoustics and driver's ts parameters AND your input power into the equation. Which you completely did not fact in, you literally just looked at the manufacturer's box specs and built it to that which is FAR from optimal. Transfer function aka Bandwidth, group delay and overall output is factors that make up good sounding bass and you literally need to learn all of this or else EVERY sub you buy will be mediocre or underperforming in your eyes. Once you do understand proper enclosure design, every sub even a flea market sub can and will impress you.

Download audacity and use the spectrum analyzer. Pop music literally doesn't go under 40hz most of the times. rap, you barely have a few handful of modern songs that go down to 28hz. Everything is still focused in the 30 to 60hz range. You dont need to tune low unless you listen to rebassed music where its whale notes under 30hz almost all the times.

Thank you, much better response and useful information here and now I’m sorry for the harsh response (but tried to hold back). I will read up on this info and audacity. Any books or links to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Also from now on I will only buy the cheapest flea market subs because all I have to do is build a killer box and it will sound amazing (joking and trying to be funny). Those Rockville’s are like $30 each (again please laugh not serious).

I’ve read about those blue Pyle subwoofers in one of the Parts Express magazines where they were featured in an infinite baffle setup as one of the builds. Some of the Parts Express full range drivers such as the Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 I’m currently experimenting with right now cost hardly anything compared to dedicated car audio midrange speakers and sound really good. I’ve been impressed with Dayton Audio stuff too. The FU Audio 300 10” subs I purchased from Darth also sound pretty good for a low budget subwoofer. I may experiment with those in some custom boxes since I own two on that Infinity K1000 amp, but would have to run at a final impedience of 4 ohms. As a single driver one takes the power from the GTX 500 at 2 ohms well.

Ok I measured the ported box I made more carefully using the12volt.com and came up with this:

Gross volume = 1.67 cu ft

Port displacement 1” x 12.5” x 20.5” long = .152 cu ft

Net box volume = 1.52 cu ft

Driver displacement = .06 cu ft for a Alpine SWS 12 per manual

Total net volume with driver installed 1.46 cu ft

Estimated tuned frequency = 30.5 Hz (probably too low for this driver)

I know the box is too small.

Sealed box is a Belva 1 cu ft box from Sonic that came with the sub. It’s made of 3/4” MDF so it’s not bad for a cheap pre fab box. Box measured 1.029 cu ft and is 12.875” x 14” x 14”. Less driver displacement it nets .97 cu ft. The Alpine sounds best in this box on a clean 500 watts RMS.

Next I sealed off the port in the box I made for a net estimated volume of 1.58 cu ft sealed. In this enclosure it does go a little deeper but doesn’t quit sound as accurate as the Belva box does. The smaller sealed box has that nice kick drum feel like you get in many Metallic songs but still goes low for songs like Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow and others on the End CD I had laying around. Long story sort I like the Alpine SWS best in the 1 cube sealed box.

So now I still want to try a different driver and one that is more suited for a ported box in my Mazda CX-5 so I’m considering the Sundown SA 12 for this in a 2 cu ft box tuned to 33 hz. In my daily truck I need something that will fit behind the seat (regular cab with 8” clearance with seat back) and I’m considering the Sundown SD3 series for that because of its small sealed requirements and it’s designed to be in a sealed enclosure with a semi shallow 4.75” depth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.