12" NVX VCW124 Subwoofer 1000 watts RMS

Ok, if it’s a ***** box than it’s a ***** box and I don’t care to argue about the ***** box and the Alpine sub anymore or go by general assumptions/generalizations here. Just looking for someone’s experience with the NVX please.

Please let’s just forget the Alpine sub and it’s box. I’m sorry I even mentioned the Alpine box now at the start of this thread. Can we just focus on those NVX subs (someone’s real world experience with them) and I’ll figure out the box for the NVX subs on my own later. I have my own wood shop tools, cabinet making and carpentry skills, and eventually some box modeling software I can use later.

Talking about the Alpine is important. It gives us a reference and idea to what you are hearing and what you don’t like.

Rarely do equipment swaps make much of a difference. When the equipment is this close.

When I said 1.5 I meant sealed. That’s way to small for ported. If you plan to do the same thing with the new woofer it will also be a let down. Nail the install then find out what you don’t like.

Ok, if it’s a ***** box than it’s a ***** box and I don’t care to argue about the ***** box and the Alpine sub anymore or go by general assumptions/generalizations here. Just looking for someone’s experience with the NVX please.
In 1.5 I'd do a idq 12 what was the tuning?

Talking about the Alpine is important. It gives us a reference and idea to what you are hearing and what you don’t like. Rarely do equipment swaps make much of a difference. When the equipment is this close.

When I said 1.5 I meant sealed. That’s way to small for ported. If you plan to do the same thing with the new woofer it will also be a let down. Nail the install then find out what you don’t like.
Good point and that is appreciated so thank you for staying positive, (having a bad day today). I do realize that what Alpine is specifying for a ported box may be too small for that subwoofer. I didn’t check it but just assumed Alpine wouldn’t specify a box that is too small, although I do see the light now. I built a box for my 10” Alpine exactly to the larger ported specifications in the Alpine manual, which is a 1+ cu ft ported box tuned to 35 Hz and it sounds very good in the Sienna. I assumed the same would be true for the 12” version but now that it is pointed out to me the box does seem a bit too small. The box I used for the 12” is tuned to 32 HZ if I remember right.

My thoughts are to use the Alpine 12 for possibly my truck in a custom built angled sealed box behind the seat if I can make it fit come this summer with my Mono GTX500 amp. Also considering two Dayton Audio 10” shallow for that maybe. The NVX I’m curious about and really wanted to try something a little different with more power capability, a lower fs, and stronger motor. I don’t mind spending the money on the more powerful sub and part of the fun of this is trying new and different setups, which I know most of you can understand. So yes the ported box for the Alpine 12 was not ideal for sound quality. The TS parameters for that sub also lend themselves in favor of a sealed box, where it’s 10” smaller brother is more 50/50. I’m looking for something that has the sound qaulity of my 10” ported with more SPL and can go lower, given the tuning is correct. I do like the way that the current Alpine 12 sounds sealed now and if I didn’t have this desease for wanting to constantly improve and try new equipment in car audio and home audio than I would be perfectly happy with my Alpine.

Good point and that is appreciated so thank you for staying positive, (having a bad day today). I do realize that what Alpine is specifying for a ported box may be too small for that subwoofer. I didn’t check it but just assumed Alpine wouldn’t specify a box that is too small, although I do see the light now. I built a box for my 10” Alpine exactly to the larger ported specifications in the Alpine manual, which is a 1+ cu ft ported box tuned to 35 Hz and it sounds very good in the Sienna. I assumed the same would be true for the 12” version but now that it is pointed out to me the box does seem a bit too small. The box I used for the 12” is tuned to 32 HZ if I remember right.
My thoughts are to use the Alpine 12 for possibly my truck in a custom built angled sealed box behind the seat if I can make it fit come this summer with my Mono GTX500 amp. Also considering two Dayton Audio 10” shallow for that maybe. The NVX I’m curious about and really wanted to try something a little different with more power capability, a lower fs, and stronger motor. I don’t mind spending the money on the more powerful sub and part of the fun of this is trying new and different setups, which I know most of you can understand. So yes the ported box for the Alpine 12 was not ideal for sound quality. The TS parameters for that sub also lend themselves in favor of a sealed box, where it’s 10” smaller brother is more 50/50. I’m looking for something that has the sound qaulity of my 10” ported with more SPL and can go lower, given the tuning is correct. I do like the way that the current Alpine 12 sounds sealed now and if I didn’t have this desease for wanting to constantly improve and try new equipment in car audio and home audio than I would be perfectly happy with my Alpine.
For the level of power you have i think a 2.5 in coil will be better suited. A 3inch coil is a lot heavier so combine that with a stiffer suspension for the added power handling and added mass to get fs down, I'd bet that nvx has a high mms and low efficiency. They don't list re, bl or mms which would tell you whether or not there is more motor force or not.

What does dry sound like in your opinion. I think the text book definition is Unmodified. Which would mean accurate
it was much more efficient above 45HZ and was DRY not natural as i would have liked down low. just like the issue your having. when we tried 1.8(recommend for HIFI) we lost all the topend transient response that made it sound great uptop for slightly better low-end.then it was smooth but didn't have the punch. the ported box was the best of both worlds. it was more balanced with more low-end and needed alot less power to do so. 2 was way too boomy and if you tuned any higher than about 34 it got peaky quick. i think this was the older v2 but they haven't changed a whole lot. Ill bet if you try what i suggested you like it..

stil one of my favorite subs are the IDmaxes. i bet 6 of those suckers would be awesome

also tuning low avoided the common phase shift and group delay associated with 99% of ported applications and killed the excellent transition between the fundamentals and harmonics you and I like. ESP on jazz and softer more bassy music.

try it before you comment. i used the IDQ and I've designed a few boxes for the IDmax 12s.

if i might add the ID max and incriminator flatlyne are two of the best sounding subs i've heard. both better than the IDQ.

don't get new amps. get a better sub stage. throw a IDmax or jbl gti in there ported tuned low.

if i might add the ID max and incriminator flatlyne are two of the best sounding subs i've heard. both better than the IDQ. don't get new amps. get a better sub stage. throw a IDmax or jbl gti in there ported tuned low.
Curious to know what configurations you heard these in such as ported or sealed, on what power, and in what type of vehicle if you don’t mind sharing? I’ve always had my eye on that Flatlyne and heard good things about the JBL but if I’m not mistaken the JBL GTI is note made anymore.

Curious to know what configurations you heard these in such as ported or sealed, on what power, and in what type of vehicle if you don’t mind sharing? I’ve always had my eye on that Flatlyne and heard good things about the JBL but if I’m not mistaken the JBL GTI is note made anymore.
all of them where in a extended cab truck and medium sized sedan except the ID max. just your typical midsize sedan. they all are very similar in performance with the ID max being on top in loudness and IDQ on bottom. all of them ported small box low tuned and sealed. i perfered the ported box for the IDQ the IA could go both ways so could the IDmax

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.