12" Eclipse Ti box

jimmyjames1700
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just bought a Sw9122 from the local eclipse dealer. I told them I wanted to make my own box, so I asked them what Eclipse recommends. All they could tell me is a small sealed box? Well, WTF, so I called Eclipse themselves and they seemed almost clueless as the dealer.

So anyway's, for those of you with experience with a 12" Ti, what do you guys recommend. I want to go vented, my aim is SQL, and I have about 900 Watts RMS to throw at it.

Mine is in 2.0 ft^3 tuned @ 33hz, and it gets pretty loud and sounds good. I may tune a little lower eventually though. In a sealed box it just didn't extend into the low frequencies as I wanted, they really shine in a ported box.

Mine is in 2.0 ft^3 tuned @ 33hz, and it gets pretty loud and sounds good. I may tune a little lower eventually though. In a sealed box it just didn't extend into the low frequencies as I wanted, they really shine in a ported box.

I agree, ported is the way to go with these subwoofers. I have my 15" in a 4.3^3ft box tuned to 24Hz and the lows are gut wrenching, and the highs are still defined and punchy.

I am glad to hear someone else went vented with theirs. Would you quys say that the SQ is still pretty good in the vented box?

Hey ShakinSupra,

How much power are you giving yours and what kinda db numbers do you think it does? I just picked up a DA7122 amp, 950 rms x1 @ 2 ohms, think the ti should be able to handle it? You also said that you would tune yours lower next time, what freq are you think of tuning to?

The SQ is still great with mine like I said, also, Ti's are known to handle in excess of 1.5kW for daily driving, and the DA7122 is underrated I believe. I had a friend who ran the exact same set-up and he preffered it over his previous B15 and XXX.

I agree, ported is the way to go with these subwoofers. I have my 15" in a 4.3^3ft box tuned to 24Hz and the lows are gut wrenching, and the highs are still defined and punchy.
wow gut wrenching bass.....i love the sound of that...i cant wait to get my millenia up and running

i've seen ti's fall apart with 1.5kwrms on them daily.....i mean literally. the magnet and voice coil were rolling around inside the box! it also scorched the basket a lil....all eclipse did (after 5 months of no sub) was reattach everything. the basket is still scorched and they couldn't explain why the sub fell apart like that.

also, i have yet to hear a ti setup that sounds good. loud, yes, very loud. but sound good? nah..IMO the eclipse alums are far better subs then the ti's. they sound far and away better and get **** near as loud. and,again ,IME, the alums last longer.

btw, most every ti setup i've heard has been ported, save one.....the 15" setup was two of them in about 8ft^3, tuned in the low 30's, each with a st1500d memphis amp(ford expedition/caddy 'lade). one a dual 12" setup, in about 5ft^3 total and a rf 1501 d on each (crown vic)one and a three 12 setup in the back of a cutlass supreme..all three sharing power from a pair of rf bd 1501ds...this setup was eventually changed to three alpine type r's and then to three eclipse alums. i have no idea how they wired it..but i know this..each was in about 2ft^3 sealed each..and the alums kicked the hell outa the other two setups...

but that's just IME...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

mrray13,

You think the alums are close to the same performers as the Ti's? It's just hard to believe that looking at the construction of the two. Either way I really want it to get real loud, granted, but I want a good SQ box also. According to BassBox6 pro, a 2.25 cube box, net, tuned at 32 hz will give ruler flat response with a -3 db down at 32 hz and huge output at 1 kW. I would think that box would be a good SQ box with great extension and SPL.

mrray13,
You think the alums are close to the same performers as the Ti's? It's just hard to believe that looking at the construction of the two. Either way I really want it to get real loud, granted, but I want a good SQ box also. According to BassBox6 pro, a 2.25 cube box, net, tuned at 32 hz will give ruler flat response with a -3 db down at 32 hz and huge output at 1 kW. I would think that box would be a good SQ box with great extension and SPL.

in my experience with them, yeah, i do. i'm not saying that ti's ****, especially since sq is mostly subjective anyway. what doesn't sound good to me might just sound wonderful to u. and like i said..every ti setup i've heard, messed with got hella loud. i just believe there are more capable subs out there, the memphis m3 mojo for instance or the eclipse alum. hell, even the re xxx can keep up spl wise and it doesn't sound bad at all!

however, u already own ur ti, so why not run it? the box u have mapped out sounds about right for a sub of this caliber. me personally, i'd tune a lil higher as every time i tune a 12 down that low, it sounds like ass at higher freqs...the re xxx (and soundsplinter rl-p) ****** in 2.5ft^3 tuned to 30 hz, yet in 2ft^3 tuned to 34hz they were both amazing. i usually xover at about 80hz...so unless u have some really strong mid bass(which if u do, drop ur xover to around 60-65hz), i'd suggest at least a 34hz tuning or 36hz. again though, this is in my experience..

toy with it....find what sounds good to ur ears...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:peace:

thanks for the info mrray,

As for mids, yeah I think I am good. I got a pair of Peerless CSX 6.5" dedicated midbass, and for high's, a set of Mb Quart Reference 4" components. So I was planning on only running the sub up to 65 hz or so. One question for you though, the box I have designed has 33 sq" port area. Do you think that will be enough area for that sub in that box at about 1 kW? Also the only thing that ***** for me is that I can't get my hands on 1" MDF and I can't sacrifice the space required to double up 3/4" MDF, so I have to roll with 3/4" and brace the living you know what out of it!

the 3/4" will be plenty...all this double baffle and double wall stuff is only good to gain u a tenth or so on a mic. u will only need to brace long stretches. u won't have to brace the hell outa it, it's a waste of time, especially with just 1kw of power. ur not going to flex the box enough to ever matter in a daily.

the 5.7ft^3 box i built for a 18" solo x had two braces...and those were to just support the weight of the sub. otherwise, the 1" mdf i used would have been plenty.

33in^2 of port should be plenty for ur twelve, that's about all i ran for a 12" xxx and the 12" memphis mojo i have now.

good luck man..sounds like u got a good plan going!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

The sub fell apart because someone ****ed with it and loosened the allen bolts that hold the motor together. It is made like that so that if something happens it can be shipped seperately and save drastically on shipping weight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

And your right, SQ is subjective, but I think it is wrong of you, kimmyjames to change your opinion on the equipment due to one person not liking it, and he mentioned that in a way also.

And Ti's can handle the power, you just have to know how to give it to them.

And I agree with mrray13, the box sounds good, and 33sq inches should be good.

The sub fell apart because someone ****ed with it and loosened the allen bolts that hold the motor together. It is made like that so that if something happens it can be shipped seperately and save drastically on shipping weight //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

nope...noone messed with it. we took it out of the box. the owner was complaining that he had blown one (just a few days before, i had mentioned that one was moving quite a bit more then the other, the owner just adjusted his gains until they were moving about the same). when we went to pull it out, we were braced to yank out a heavy sub, instead brandon nearly fell outa the 'lade when he yanked because there wasn't anything there to pull.

the sub had just fallen apart.

And your right, SQ is subjective, but I think it is wrong of you, kimmyjames to change your opinion on the equipment due to one person not liking it, and he mentioned that in a way also.
i don't see where jimmyjames changed his opinion of the ti. and ur correct, i did mention more then once, that my opinion was based upon my experience with them.

we have a gentleman right now at the shop who is going to be running a pair of 12 ti's off a memphis mojo. he liked the sound of the setup i ws just talking about falling apart and is going to run ti's based on it. i still don't like them..lol..

And Ti's can handle the power, you just have to know how to give it to them.
And I agree with mrray13, the box sounds good, and 33sq inches should be good.

agreed, any sub can handle power if done properly. i just believe ti's are a touch overrated. again, though, that is my opinion.

agreed..lol...jimmyjames ur box is designed..lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

I just talked to the regional Eclipse rep today, and asked him if I was on the right track with my box model, and he asked my what T/S specs I was using. When I told him that I went with the ones in the manual, of course, he told me those parameters are totally wrong! But, he couldn't tell me what the real ones are either! So I am, stuck. If I can't get the real specs, I'll have to rely on my first design or follow shakinsupra's.

DUD I HADED THE SAME THING HAPPING TO ME WITH THE ROCKFORDFOSGATE POWER T1s the manel said 1.75 for ported then 2 months later it said 1.25 for ported??????????/ i call and ask them what's up with that and thay had no clue on what to say !!!!!! so i ported to 1.25 after sub and port. dam it ******!!!sooooooo after a mad wife later i builded a 2.50cu.ft for my sub and daaaam that **** knocked well j.j 1700 my wife is being a ***** so good luck with your subs .let us know how it sounds

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.