10W7 or 12W6 in a sealed box in the trunk of an IS350?

TT061880
10+ year member

FL
I know this question probably been asking 123232132 times but my situation is different and yes I did do a lot of search and reading. This is my first time adding aftermarket subwoofer to a car so I want to make it right and thanks in advance for all your help.

My car come with a Mark Levinson system that has a DVD player so I can't put in an aftermarket HU althought aftermarket HU sounds better with the sub. I will use low level converter or whatever you call that. Right now I have a 500/1 and I don't have a lot of trunk space in my car. I want something with SQ, I have heard the W7 before but not the W6. What do you guys recommend?

Not going to make a sub decision but I will say that you may want to remove some of the sound deadener from the trunk (sounds weird huh) because they deaden it so very little sound gets through from the trunk to eliminate road noise. It will prevent some bass, OR you could remove the back speakers, but with that setup, I woudln't.

I will remove the stock 8" sub on the rear dash and the back seat has a hole where the arm rest come down. Also what's the smallest size of sealed box I can make for either the W6 or W7?

from what i know the w7 is just loud. it does sound super nice but i think the w6 is nicer sounding. I personally would get the w6 with that 500/1 cause it will sound awesome and even if its not w7 loudness it will still be loud.

lol. actually i had built a fiberglassed enclosure for my old boss that was in his IS350 it sat on the driver side of the trunk firing to the opposite side of the trunk. it was sealed and housed a 12w6 ran off a 500/1

let me see if i can find some pics.

The w7 will have better SQ They dont get as loud as many people would like but the SQ on them is great
No. W6 sounds better. You obviously haven't heard them.

Not going to make a sub decision but I will say that you may want to remove some of the sound deadener from the trunk (sounds weird huh) because they deaden it so very little sound gets through from the trunk to eliminate road noise. It will prevent some bass, OR you could remove the back speakers, but with that setup, I woudln't.
I disagree, you need to add more sound deadener to keep rattles away from your trunk. There are a lot of ways to improve the sound into the car from the trunk but removing deadener is not one of them.

Go with the W6, you will love it. Or save some dough and get something other than JL.

lol. when we did work on the IS350 trunk, we matted everything.

there is an opening in the back seat, that i had made a cover board for. that allowed plenty of bass to enter the cabin.

and the w7 vs w6. they both sound great. but it depends on the application.

tight space and sealed enclosure: id recommend the 12w6 (or smaller)

enough space for ported: go with a W7

JL 12W6:

The W6 has amazing sound quality, but won't get as loud as the W7

JL 10W7:

The W7 gets very loud, but doesn't have as good sq as the W6.

Now you have to decide which is more important to you. SQ [sound quality] or SPL [loudness]. I hope this helped.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.