10" subs for small sealed box

Crsracing

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I just picked up a new car (2001 audi a4) and have spent about the last week trying to figure out what I want to do for the stereo. I'm still not sure I'm any closer but do know I need more help then just searching can provide on sub selection.

Enclosure type, I do have a pretty large trunk but I use it often and really dont want to give up the space so I want to do custom fit sealed boxes between the wheel wells and taillights on each side due to that I'm limited to small sealed boxes.

Budget, while less is better obviously. I will save up or buy used so I can do it right the first time.

Subs I am considering
Idq thought about it originally but read some reviews that made me rethink that
Idmax would probably give me the output and quality I want but is on the larger side and more $$$
Sundown sd3 worried it wont have enough output
Sundown sa10 always wanted to try them but dont think they would run well sealed

Benchmark/expectations
I set my gf's car up with 2 10w6v2 jl's sealed at 1cu ft each running off a jl hd1200 and am really happy with how it sounds but would honestly like it to hit a little harder. These could be an option to as she wants more so I will probably end up building a ported box or getting her 12w6v2 and then I could put them in my car but in even less space I doubt I would be happy.

Why not a 12,
I'm mostly worried about not being able to provide enough airspace also in the past I have always liked 10's better. But a si sql 12 was suggested to me and I'm very intrigued by it and it's a possible contender now to.

Thanks in advance for any help I have tried searching but everything seems to wind up talking about ported. If any one has any recommended links for me to read that would be great to been slowly making my way through the sticky that has the recommended links

How much power will you be running? After you know that you will have to decide what airspace you are willing to use. I have heard great things about the idmax in sealed along ssa gcon and icon in sealed. More power will get you more output.

I don't have my amps yet so I will get whatever power the subs I end up with need. Hopefully later today i can get some measurements to get a better idea of what kind of airspace I can provide. I had heard the dayton rs ho's recommend but just didn't feel like they would give the output I wanted. I wonder how the ultimax would stack up against the idmax :unsure:

I got a pair of sundown sd4 10"s in my truck. I was pretty blown away how low and loud they get for being in such a tiny box
.5 cubes each. I didn't expect much coming from a pair of x10's but was pretty happy with the output and the fact that I have a back seat now

I’m doing the 10 inch ultimax in 4th order bandpass. Im getting a nice flat response in software from 32-90 hz, and the box is so goddamn small it was a challenge to fit the driver in there the way I want (I want the motor in the sealed section in case there is some motor noise on these). i had a Dayton reference series 10 in a sealed box, and it seemed louder to my ear than my JL 10w6 was. The JL W6 was probably my favorite sub back when I was building boxes for profit. I’m sure it’s still the good quality sub it always was, with a large price tag. I’m excited to order the Dayton ultimax and run it through the 3 boxes I usually do when I buy a sub. 4th order is first, since that’s why I chose it in the first place, but I will try it sealed and a small ported box with a super low tuning. 28 hz if I can make it work.

How does the gcon compare to the icon performance wise? I was checking them out and it comes in a 10 and needs a lot less airspace but has the same xmax and doesn't need as much power to get there. I've been trying for the last couple days to find time to pull the interior panels in the trunk to get accurate measurements of how much space I can provide.

How does the gcon compare to the icon performance wise? I was checking them out and it comes in a 10 and needs a lot less airspace but has the same xmax and doesn't need as much power to get there. I've been trying for the last couple days to find time to pull the interior panels in the trunk to get accurate measurements of how much space I can provide.

@denim might be able to answer this since he works for SSA.

That would be great if he wanted to. I have definitely looked into the Daytons but I've seen reports of QC and build quality issues that dont make it as easy of choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.