10" subs for small sealed box

That would be great if he wanted to. I have definitely looked into the Daytons but I've seen reports of QC and build quality issues that dont make it as easy of choice.
Not sure about in a car, but I have a 12" HO (1000w plate amp) and a 12" HF (500w plate amp) in my home system for about 7-8 years now I guess it's been. Zero QC issues at all. And as an aside, I just ordered a Dayton Audio LS10-44 10" Low Profile Subwoofer, Dual 4 Ohm for myself. I went that route because after seeing all these cheap subs, I know Dayton will sound excellent and I have no concerns of quality issues. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ls10-44-10-low-profile-subwoofer-dual-4-ohm--295-251

That would be great if he wanted to. I have definitely looked into the Daytons but I've seen reports of QC and build quality issues that dont make it as easy of choice.
If you mean the low profile Dayton (LS-10), mine didn’t last. Was my go to sub due to lack of space in a single cab. Had coil issues. After a short period, it would only play if I applied pressure to the cone. Got rid of it!

Not sure about in a car, but I have a 12" HO (1000w plate amp) and a 12" HF (500w plate amp) in my home system for about 7-8 years now I guess it's been. Zero QC issues at all. And as an aside, I just ordered a Dayton Audio LS10-44 10" Low Profile Subwoofer, Dual 4 Ohm for myself. I went that route because after seeing all these cheap subs, I know Dayton will sound excellent and I have no concerns of quality issues. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ls10-44-10-low-profile-subwoofer-dual-4-ohm--295-251
don't worry man, could have just been a bad one out of the bunch. it was under warranty but I just wanted to go a different route anyways.

Little slimmy woofers aren’t going to help you achieve harder hitting than your ol lady. Does her sub stage fire toward the trunk lid? I ask b/c Firing direction is going to impact the result of the output so if you’re going sealed why not keep your depth minimal and adjust for increased Wxh to achieve proper volume. Those trunks fit multiple bodies in em so are you really going to max out every cubic inch all the way to the back seat. I’d understand if you were going ported but a real woofer like that ultimax is less than 6” in mounting depth so you can be around 12” or even slightly less in total depth. Also easier wiring job too.

I know it’s not a woofer recommendation but the scenario you outline isn’t going to create an apples to apples environment compared to gf, and you said you want harder hitting then hers. Two ultimax’s on an md1800.2 would be my pick over that jl setup.

I wasn't really looking at slims with the exception of the sd3 as that was there sealed box offering I can get about 7" of mounting depth in my intended location. Issue is I measured roughly the other day and I can get about .65 cubes on each side probably a little more when things are said and done. Her subs fire forward towards the seat and jl wouldn't be my first pick either but she likes them for sentimental reasons. Wxh ? I'm not familiar with that term. And I actually do use all my trunk including putting the seats down and using the ski pass through for lumber, shovel, etc.

I’m doing the 10 inch ultimax in 4th order bandpass. Im getting a nice flat response in software from 32-90 hz, and the box is so goddamn small it was a challenge to fit the driver in there the way I want (I want the motor in the sealed section in case there is some motor noise on these). i had a Dayton reference series 10 in a sealed box, and it seemed louder to my ear than my JL 10w6 was. The JL W6 was probably my favorite sub back when I was building boxes for profit. I’m sure it’s still the good quality sub it always was, with a large price tag. I’m excited to order the Dayton ultimax and run it through the 3 boxes I usually do when I buy a sub. 4th order is first, since that’s why I chose it in the first place, but I will try it sealed and a small ported box with a super low tuning. 28 hz if I can make it work.
you care sharing what specs you pulled for the 4th order on the ultimax

you care sharing what specs you pulled for the 4th order on the ultimax
.4 sealed and .3 @ 52 hz on the ported side. gives a slight roll off at 85 hz. Usable frequency response is from 30-85 hz. It still has a peak on the low end with cabin gain, so it isn’t quite as flat on the graph as a sealed box would be. My midbass speakers will need to be crossed at least down to 85 hz, because there will be no bass above that with a 4th order. They almost don’t even need a low pass crossover. I’m running active on this setup, first timer running an active system, so I’m going to test that.

How does the gcon compare to the icon performance wise? I was checking them out and it comes in a 10 and needs a lot less airspace but has the same xmax and doesn't need as much power to get there. I've been trying for the last couple days to find time to pull the interior panels in the trunk to get accurate measurements of how much space I can provide.

They are very different subs. The Gcon is modifiable through options per the install needs. So it is pretty versatile. The Gcon sound signature is a little more passive and blending, where the Icon is a little thicker and warmer on the bottom end.

Well I've ended up finding a couple good deals so I have picked some stuff up so I will be running hertz hsk 3 ways and monday or Tuesday I'm picking up a alpine mrp-m2000 so based on power and space it looks like the gcon will be the best option. I'm still open to recommendations I just dont see as many 10's out there as 12's especially for high power in a small sealed box. Denim would you recommend any of the upgrades for this application? They will just be used for daily listening and occasionally showing off a little? Unrelated but I also want to try a dsp for the first time in this build probably a dayton.

Well I've ended up finding a couple good deals so I have picked some stuff up so I will be running hertz hsk 3 ways and monday or Tuesday I'm picking up a alpine mrp-m2000 so based on power and space it looks like the gcon will be the best option. I'm still open to recommendations I just dont see as many 10's out there as 12's especially for high power in a small sealed box. Denim would you recommend any of the upgrades for this application? They will just be used for daily listening and occasionally showing off a little? Unrelated but I also want to try a dsp for the first time in this build probably a dayton.

Try and fit a single XFL1022 . If not, Dayton would be your best choice.

I just bought this. Running it at 600w 2 ohm. Absolutely incredible amount of clean, clear bass (side note-the price today is $7 more than when I bought it last week). Ported box though. Decent grill. All highly recommended. Note, I did replace the cheap, press fit, spring connector cup and replaced it with the Parts Express connector cup with speaker gasket:

Last edited:
So I got to thinking I was limiting my self to .65 as that's the most I could get on one side but I could run a single 12 on the larger side and get .8 to 1 cube. I also picked up the alpine m2000 I mentioned. I was pretty sold on ssa like a couple people here mentioned specifically the gcon. but fi was suggested to me elsewhere which just further confused things, so now my short list is
1 fi q 12"
2 fi ssd 10's
2 ssa gcon 10's
thoughts opinions ? Would love to hear any personal experience with the current models of these sealed

Thanks again, crs racing

That's what everyone (including fi) said go 2 10's for output so its between the gcon and ssd. I got the specs from them for a ssd with the high qts soft suspension and high xmax options they didnt say how the new qts affected the qes/qms so I just plugged the new specs into there chart.
Ssd
Coils DUAL 1 | DUAL 2
FS Fs: 31 Hz | 31Hz
RE 0.75| 1.5
QMS 5.13 | 5.13
QES 0.36 | 0.36
QTS 0.48 | 0.48
MMS 279g | 285g
CMS 0. | 0.
SD 310cm^2 | 310cm^2
VAS 15.1 l | 15.1 l
SPL 83.1dB | 83.1dB
BL 17.11 N/A | 24.3 N/A
XMAX 30+mm (One Way)
RMS 1500W

Gcon
  • D4 / D2
  • Fs. 32.5 / 31.7 hz
  • Re 8.0 / 4.0 ohms
  • Qms 4.22
  • Qes 0.45 / 0.43
  • Qts 0.44 / 0.41
  • Cms 0.15 mm/N
  • Mms 212.6 / 210.5 gr
  • Bl 16.3 N/A
  • SPL 86.1 / 86.8 dB
  • VAS 14.1 L
  • SD 320cm^2
  • Xmax 23mm
  • RMS 950 watts
Only down side I see is that i wont be able feed the ssd it's full rms off the m2000 if the birth sheet is to be believed but i have seen them clamp tested at over 2500. So the ssd looks slightly better for sealed with the updated specs but will I have the power to use it to it's full potential/surpass the gcon ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.