10" type r's werent as loud as I thought?

Nico Koutouzis
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys I set the gains using a volt meter to 31.6 ac volts at 1 ohm (1000w) using a 50 hz tone and then I tested the sub with music and it still didnt sound very loud. It's an mb quart onyx 1000.1 D and there are 2 swr-1043D's in a 1.3-1.4 cube sealed box. The volume on the HU was 34 out of 40 which is a tad above 85% volume. I also tuned the subsonic and low pass filters by ear. Any opinions? (p.s. I tested them ourt of the car next to it in closed three car garage but I should still hear a good thump to em)

Edit: Everything on the HU was set to flat... should I try bass boost?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes they are wired to a 1 ohm load. And idk what the filters are set to. I just played an instrumental and when I heard the cymbals/ high pitched instruments go away was where I stopped.

I cant build a ported box. I dont have the trunk space.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

I wold think it is amp settings. Even in a sealed enclosure they should do decent.
thats what I was thinking?

I cant build a ported box. I dont have the trunk space. 

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

thats what I was thinking?

What vehicle? You could fit 3 cubes in just about anything

He said he tested the outside his car so it sounds like he wants to be able to hear the bass outside also as if it were a ported box.
He said he tested them out of the car. Meaning he took the enclosure out and set it beside the car.

Amp settings are the issue here. Would a different enclosure help? Perhaps. However, he should adjust what he has now to see if he can make it work.

in a g35 coupe. Need to keep some trunk space as it is my dd (excluding winter)
Get a pic of the control settings on the amp and how they are now. We can help you with that. Also, it never hurts to go back and double/triple check the wiring. In many cases the easiest thing to over look is the issue.

If you have a DMM check to see what is the resting ohm load is.

no no the only reason I tested the subs out of the car was because I needed to wait for the old man to come home to help me put the subs in the car. (they are car specific and a nice tight fit) I would never be able to do it on my own. It was a 2 man job. Yes it would sound cool to have a good thump outside the car when the subs hit as well but at this point im looking for good output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.