1 amp, 2 sub woofers - same size or not, single 2 chamber enclosure. ported & sealed?

my feeling are not hurt,just trying to save you alot of wasted time and money,i was new to all this once too,ive done exactly what you are wanting to do,yes it looks cool but thats about all.2 10's 2 12's and 2 15's all together in one box,and in separate chambers in the same vehicle been there done that and its a waste man.
I just figure in my home theater i have 6? different sized speakers in 2 different types enclosures with some crossover overlap pointed in all kinds of directions and it sounds ****** awesome. so why not 2 subs pointed in different directions in different enclosures in an auto? Ill be the first to admit that it sounds like doodoo when i do it.

i have been into car/home audio since i was 14, I'm 33 now. worked as a mobile installer for 6 years in a shop the rest at home, haven't done this type of enclosure the whole time. 6 hours and $25 for a sheet of 3/4 particle i can spare. just never tried it. What size sub/amp combination, configuration did you try?
ive done everything from 8's to 18's,2 12's mixed with 2 15's and 4 8's with 4 12's,4 15's with 1 18 etc.... and as far as brands,ive had everything from JL to crunch(mid '90's crunch)ive had lanzar(the mid '90's lanzar) kicker,kenwood,pioneer,all the way up to AB subs,mojo's,atomic,and my 2 AB 500.1 amps i have now,so pretty much every brand of sub and amp combination from about '92 up to now,yes that does include jensen,pyramid,legacy and all the other crappy brands too

probably a reason you never saw it or tried it, but I'm all for trying stuff out. So do it and report back on how it turns out...
True that and yes i will. People don't request things like this when you work at a shop because it seems mismatched or looks messy. One of the best SPL boxes that came out of our shop (in its power class) was a box with 4 12inch JLs 2 firing twards the rear and 2 firing to the opposite sides, 2 chambers all ported one amp. This was a space issue, something we never tried before. I don't care about looks and am not concerned with SPL numbers. I just want the low from a ported enclosure with the punch of a sealed and as we agree trying something different is part of the fun in any hobby. Thank you for your reply!

I just figure in my home theater i have 6? different sized speakers in 2 different types enclosures with some crossover overlap pointed in all kinds of directions and it sounds ****** awesome. so why not 2 subs pointed in different directions in different enclosures in an auto? Ill be the first to admit that it sounds like doodoo when i do it.
This is in your living room in your house. Much different than the trunk of a car or the back of an SUV. Speakers can cancel each other out in a room as well if the room is too small. This isn't going to work but I wish you luck and I'm in for results...

Try it out. I'd love to see 3 8's sealed, followed up with 2 15's ported. If you're gonna do 2 subs only, do a 12 sealed and a 15 ported.

Or do a 12w6 sealed and a 13w7 ported.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

OP, it would be a monumental waste of space, money and time to do different style enclosures in the same vehicle. Like previously stated, the resonant frequency of a ported box and a sealed box of the same dimension is going to be different. The ported box is going to overwhelm the output of the sealed box, but thanks to the different resonances, each wave will cancel one another out. You will actually have less output, crappier sound and equipment longevity issues than doing a traditional sealed or traditional ported enclosure.

If you are looking for the best of both worlds, build a low tuned ported enclosure using quality "SQ" oriented subs (ID, JL, Morel, *certain lines from plenty of other companies*), a quality amp (JL Slash, Kicker SX, ARC, Audison, etc) good RCAs and a nice "SQ" deck (99PRS, 80PRS, Clarion 71**). A good signal system (HU, RCA, Amp) combined with a proper enclosure will ensure accurate and non-coloured tonal response. Any sub could actually sound great like this, but some of those named are less output oriented with better specs for what I think you're wanting.

Don't, I repeat, don't do what your OP speaks of unless the sealed sub is on its own amp and is completely crossed-over to play a different set of frequencies from your ported sub. Ex. Ported Subsonic~63hz Sealed 63~100hz

ive done everything from 8's to 18's,2 12's mixed with 2 15's and 4 8's with 4 12's,4 15's with 1 18 etc.... and as far as brands,ive had everything from JL to crunch(mid '90's crunch)ive had lanzar(the mid '90's lanzar) kicker,kenwood,pioneer,all the way up to AB subs,mojo's,atomic,and my 2 AB 500.1 amps i have now,so pretty much every brand of sub and amp combination from about '92 up to now,yes that does include jensen,pyramid,legacy and all the other crappy brands too
If you supposedly "did it all". You would know this is a stupid fvcking idea... It's been said you will have cancellation among other problems and you refuse to listen so what "input" would you like?

If you supposedly "did it all". You would know this is a stupid fvcking idea... It's been said you will have cancellation among other problems and you refuse to listen so what "input" would you like?
umm hey retard im not the one doing it,im trying to let the guy who posted this thread know its not going to work

Last edited by a moderator:
This is in your living room in your house. Much different than the trunk of a car or the back of an SUV. Speakers can cancel each other out in a room as well if the room is too small. This isn't going to work but I wish you luck and I'm in for results...
true that and thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.