0ne 15, or 2 12s

doctorcheeze200
10+ year member

Well, for my first system, im looking at either getting one 15" sub or 2 12"s.

I drive a 2000 Mercury Mystique if that matters

I listen to mostly metal (Suicide silence, all shall perish, lamb of god)

and as of latley, a lot of rap as well (wu tang clan, Young Jeezy, snoop)

what i need help on is whether i should get one 15 or 2 12s in my trunk.

Im worried if i get a 15, it will sound too slow for metal, but the 12s may not be a deep and hard hitting as the 15 for rap.

Oh, and the enclosure will be built to manufacrurers specs, and will be sealed or ported, whichever is recomended for the sub(s)

Well, for my first system, im looking at either getting one 15" sub or 2 12"s.
I drive a 2000 Mercury Mystique if that matters

I listen to mostly metal (Suicide silence, all shall perish, lamb of god)

and as of latley, a lot of rap as well (wu tang clan, Young Jeezy, snoop)

what i need help on is whether i should get one 15 or 2 12s in my trunk.

Im worried if i get a 15, it will sound too slow for metal, but the 12s may not be a deep and hard hitting as the 15 for rap.

Oh, and the enclosure will be built to manufacrurers specs, and will be sealed or ported, whichever is recomended for the sub(s)
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

A 15 will not be any slower than an 8, each in it's respective properly built enclosure.

Also, an 8 will hit just as low as a 15, again, in the properly built enclosure, albeit not with the same volume due to cone area.

So, say i have one 15 in a ported enclosure build to spec, it will be just as good for fast double bass metal as a 10?

Also, would ported/sealed anclosure matter at all for the music genre?

All depends on the sub. A 15 isn't inherently slow nor a 10 inherently fast.

If I was you I'd probably look a pair of good 12's in a sealed box so it's got the push for the rap but the accuracy for the metal (Suicide Silence fvck yeah).

size has nothing with the speed of the sub. More than likely if you get 2 12's ported, will be louder than 1 15 ported, more cone area. Also double the motor power will relieve the stress on just one motor.

Cone area doesn't always matter. If you are using the same wattage 12's vs 15, then do the 12's. But if you are using double the power to the 15, thats the route I would go. I've had experience with both but thats just my 2 cents.

I think the assumption is putting the rated power at whatever setup he gets. I mean yeah if you've got 1000W to work with it's better to put it at one sub than to underpower two, but two 12's of whatever sub will (I believe) always be better than a single 15 of the same type.

Alright then, so its the enclosure that matters.

So, i think im going for 2 12's.

Now, ported or sealed?

Someone said ^^ that sealed would be good and all, but ive herd that ported will be better for the bass and such.

I was thinking ported...

And ill be running the 2 subs with a Kenwood eXcelon X1200M mono (rms 800 watts), and im not sure which subs i will be getting.

Suggestions?

If you have space for the ported box and don't mind losing a little clarity for the sake of volume, by all means port it. Every box I've ever had was ported and I was never disappointed, even with a sub that supposedly had bad SQ (specifically, CVR's and an L7).

If one sub is moving 'slower' than the other, it would be playing a different frequency. Frequency = cycles per second. Since the signal dictates frequency, we can conclude that cone speed is not dictated by cone diameter. Its dictated by frequency, and excursion. Period.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.