0/1 gauge wire - less ofc or more cca

What is there no rear battery? What is the need to run 3,4,5 runs? 300 amp alt is only going to put 300 amp at 2k rpm for one. Your going to have to have some kind of buffer. Idk, I have to reread this. I must have missed something. I'll stick to the OFC anyway.

What is there no rear battery? What is the need to run 3,4,5 runs? 300 amp alt is only going to put 300 amp at 2k rpm for one. Your going to have to have some kind of buffer. Idk, I have to reread this. I must have missed something. I'll stick to the OFC anyway.
All conductors have natural resistance which will cause voltage drop (even if it's very small). The larger/more conductors you have the less overall voltage drop you'll experience. I'd say for 90% of the users on this forum 1 run of 1/0 would be enough because the voltage drop wouldn't be noticeable to the ear but for those who compete even a 1/10th of a volt is significant.

Also, even though an alternator is only capable of supplying 200A (or whatever it's rated at) batteries are capable of producing much more than that. I always size my wire based on the demand not the supply, it eliminates it as being a weak link.

All conductors have natural resistance which will cause voltage drop (even if it's very small). The larger/more conductors you have the less overall voltage drop you'll experience. I'd say for 90% of the users on this forum 1 run of 1/0 would be enough because the voltage drop wouldn't be noticeable to the ear but for those who compete even a 1/10th of a volt is significant.
Also, even though an alternator is only capable of supplying 200A (or whatever it's rated at) batteries are capable of producing much more than that. I always size my wire based on the demand not the supply, it eliminates it as being a weak link.
I was waiting on this reply +1

As Ive said many times. I went from 2 runs to 1 OFC, 300 amp alt and a D3400 under the hood. TL score did not change any at all. I'm going of my experiance with a high end, power hungry setup. Not off my opinion when I never had more than a 1000 watt setup

As Ive said many times. I went from 2 runs to 1 OFC, 300 amp alt and a D3400 under the hood. TL score did not change any at all. I'm going of my experiance with a high end, power hungry setup. Not off my opinion when I never had more than a 1000 watt setup
And therein lies the problem. I'm speaking from my electrical theory knowledge and you're speaking from your knowledge of a single experiment. Your TL score could have stayed the same for a myriad of reasons but that doesn't really prove anything. Just because your case didn't see a difference doesn't mean no one will.

And therein lies the problem. I'm speaking from my electrical theory knowledge and you're speaking from your knowledge of a single experiment. Your TL score could have stayed the same for a myriad of reasons but that doesn't really prove anything. Just because your case didn't see a difference doesn't mean no one will.
So you choose theory over reality?

He can try. I've showed real world proof, he showed nothing but opinion.
No you have showed a video of a test being done in a controlled environment, then continue talking about your own opinion and tests you have done.

1 run of OFC with multiple (2-3x) grounds can lessen heat compared to 2 runs of cca to power and 2 runs to ground.

This in all will remove the load off one wire reducing the heat from constant power going thru one wire.

You indeed have a grasp on certain aspects, but you don't have the grasp on simple concepts of real life examples.

We do not ride around on test tones hitting more then 30 secs so unless you are hitting the maximum on each wire of cca from test tones constantly playing then you wont ever notice a difference other noticeable voltage drop, which OFC compared to two cca would be more then what the two cca would have of heat.

No you have showed a video of a test being done in a controlled environment, then continue talking about your own opinion and tests you have done.
1 run of OFC with multiple (2-3x) grounds can lessen heat compared to 2 runs of cca to power and 2 runs to ground.

This in all will remove the load off one wire reducing the heat from constant power going thru one wire.

You indeed have a grasp on certain aspects, but you don't have the grasp on simple concepts of real life examples.

We do not ride around on test tones hitting more then 30 secs so unless you are hitting the maximum on each wire of cca from test tones constantly playing then you wont ever notice a difference other noticeable voltage drop, which OFC compared to two cca would be more then what the two cca would have of heat.
When you build a setupi that requires that kind of power flow you can talk. When you have done years of testing you can talk. When you have went from CCA to OFC on only 1500 watts and seen gains you can talk. When you say one thing that makes sence you can talk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ChucklezZ

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
ChucklezZ
Patton, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date