0/1 gauge wire - less ofc or more cca

I hear what you are saying and agree with the supply to demand needs and goes to what I was trying to say. The OFC is going to run more current more efficiently then the ACC. With less heat less resistance adds to cleaner power as in ohm's law.

I hear what you are saying and agree with the supply to demand needs and goes to what I was trying to say. The OFC is going to run more current more efficiently then the ACC. With less heat less resistance adds to cleaner power as in ohm's law.

All conductors have natural resistance which will cause voltage drop (even if it's very small). The larger/more conductors you have the less overall voltage drop you'll experience. I'd say for 90% of the users on this forum 1 run of 1/0 would be enough because the voltage drop wouldn't be noticeable to the ear but for those who compete even a 1/10th of a volt is significant.
Also, even though an alternator is only capable of supplying 200A (or whatever it's rated at) batteries are capable of producing much more than that. I always size my wire based on the demand not the supply, it eliminates it as being a weak link.

Tip Toe Winggggggg In My Jawdinnnzz

2 runs of CCA > 1 run of OFC

hell if I were you. I'd do 1 run of 2/0 welding cable which would still be cheaper than the OFC car audio cable.

Reason why I'll never buy it again. You're paying for a brand at that point

Tip Toe Winggggggg In My Jawdinnnzz
2 runs of CCA > 1 run of OFC

hell if I were you. I'd do 1 run of 2/0 welding cable which would still be cheaper than the OFC car audio cable.

Reason why I'll never buy it again. You're paying for a brand at that point
They sell a 25 foot spool of 4/0 welding cable for $125 in town here. It says 100% copper, so I don't think its CCA.

Hell of a deal

I'm not a huge fan of CCA, but I am a fan of science, and that's what I'm trying to get at.

Uh, no.

Formulas on paper (educated people generally refer to this as "engineering") are how we perfect real world application. Only incorrectly applied theory is disproven by testing/application. And in some cases those results can be catastrophic.

Silver's main advantage over copper is resistance to corrosion. It's electrical advantage is insignificant (~6%), and copper has better conductivity vs mass.

Capacitance is not an issue - Certainly not in short run power wiring.

The typical idiot may be intelligent enough to realize slightly reducing cross section over almost zero length has no effect at all on current capacity.

Yep, poor engineering. Imagine that. The errors have long since been corrected, and aluminum is a common use for residential/commercial electrical wiring today.

I REALLY hope that's not a brain-dead discussion on the SOUND of silver.

What TYPE of power??

Hey! Something of value. Well done.

They're of equal importance.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

At least SOMEONE on this forum knows what they're talking about...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ChucklezZ

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
ChucklezZ
Patton, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date