Sign in to follow this  
macantley

American bass VFL-8" woofer depth?

I've tried emailing american bass with no response and so many different sellers of this subwoofer give me different measurements for the mounting depth of the 8" VFL subwoofer that id rather have an actual owners answer. 

i've got 6" of mounting depth, maybe 6.1" I dont think the subwoofer will work in my depth but id love to have a real response from an actual owner.   can anyone give me the mounting depth of the subwoofer providing the box i'm putting it in will be top mounted so i need the measurement from the back of the magnet to the back of the mounting flange. 

matthew

I would try calling AB directly, they list a phone # on their site. I couldn't find any info.

I do happen to own an XD8 and it appears to (maybe)  share the same box with the VFL8, the box has the XD8 on 2 sides and the VFL8 is on the other 2 sides. FWIW mounting depth on the XD8 is 5 physical inches and keep in mind these subs both have pole vents, so you don't want to choke that off. 

giphy.gif

9.8"

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

16 hours ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

I would try calling AB directly, they list a phone # on their site. I couldn't find any info.

I do happen to own an XD8 and it appears to (maybe)  share the same box with the VFL8, the box has the XD8 on 2 sides and the VFL8 is on the other 2 sides. FWIW mounting depth on the XD8 is 5 physical inches and keep in mind these subs both have pole vents, so you don't want to choke that off. 

or just bug Aaron. Hey, @denim is @Slo_Ride correct?

22 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

or just bug Aaron. Hey, @denim is @Slo_Ride correct?

Slo ride is not correct, he quoted the info from sonic electronix. No way in hell that thing is damn near 10 inches deep. 

giphy.gif

22 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

Slo ride is not correct, he quoted the info from sonic electronix. No way in hell that thing is damn near 10 inches deep. 

thats why i say to bug @denim he sells those and has easy access to the specs

Walmart and Carid say 9.8 also. Looking at photos it does look about as deep as it is wide so its close. 

Kenwood KDC-X597 head unit, Alpine R-S65C.2 comps, RF P300.2 amp, Pioneer TS-W3003D4 sub i(1.5cf @ 40hz), JBL GTR-1001 amp, Knukonceptz fuse blocks/wiring, Stinger 4k series rca's. 

so i called american bass today, was on hold for 10 minutes or so and the guy who got back to me said 5 inches...... i dont think american bass even knows what the specs are to be honest.  i've seen everything from 5.75 inches to 9.8 inches, its the main reason i'm asking for someone with one to measure for me. they look to be about 1/4 inch taller than the HD subs but no one has accurate specs for these things.    I really dont want to have to purchase one just to find out if it will fit or not because its gonna suck if it doesnt fit.....   the american bass VFL works in my airspace and i've also got an american bass VFL 12 (old school, 19 years old now) in the car as well. if i cant do american bass i was also look at PSI, they make a really stout looking 8" driver. 

7 hours ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

Seemed a little deep to me as well. I didn't quote it from SE. It was some other site. 

Refs = PapaGeno21, Goindef154, 92c1v1c, Disarmer, chemmins, 97maxima, kroid777, ithertz, basscort2009, hunterw, mar08052, appleyard, millimac247, jonny101abc, sundownz, cranberryyumyum, mig139, daboyfrumdabx, skateguy92, basebalz13.

@macantley

I just got off the phone with American Bass, he said the mounting depth is 5".

8 minutes ago, Slo_Ride said:

@macantley

I just got off the phone with American Bass, he said the mounting depth is 5".

thats what he told me too, but i'm 90% sure he's full of shit or has no idea what the hell he's actually selling/building. Looks like i'm going to buy one and measure it myself. 

It sounds about right to me. Amazon lists the package dimensions as 10x10x7.5

odd that the HD844 says it requires 5.75" mounting depth then. 

Don't know buddy, I don't own one or know anyone who does. 

well, i just placed an order on amazon prime, so hopefully by friday at the latest i'll know the answer and post the results. 

14 hours ago, macantley said:

well, i just placed an order on amazon prime, so hopefully by friday at the latest i'll know the answer and post the results. 

Free shipping and great customer service here: https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/vfl-comp-8d-inch-400w-rms-dvc-subwoofer/ 

AB didn't provide us with depth.  It 's mounting depth much closer to 5 than 9.8 based on the images.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

17 hours ago, Slo_Ride said:

It sounds about right to me. Amazon lists the package dimensions as 10x10x7.5

It uses the same box as the XD8

17 hours ago, macantley said:

odd that the HD844 says it requires 5.75" mounting depth then. 

Probably 5 physical and 3/4 for the pole vent

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, denim said:

Free shipping and great customer service here: https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/vfl-comp-8d-inch-400w-rms-dvc-subwoofer/ 

AB didn't provide us with depth.  It 's mounting depth much closer to 5 than 9.8 based on the images.

thanks for the link to your shop (assuming its your shop) Providing you are a dealer, How do you compare the ampere audio 6.5" subwoofer to the sundown x-6.5? the only thing i can find is the SA-6.5 online but i'm guessing the x-6.5 is a dealer item only.   I'm going to give an accurate measurement of the american bass VFL sub when it arrives, I'm sure i wont have great customer service but amazon had the VFL-8 for $109 with free shipping, But i'm guessing its cheaper since its been discontinued, its no longer on american bass's website.  However i found the 6.5" american bass HD subs on alibaba without the american bass name, but you have to be a legal business to buy from them, and even then you have to buy in bulk.  

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/6-5-ALUMINIUM-SUBWOOFER_50029949284.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normalList.111.48594c58CIoBcp

Edited by macantley
grammer

I have not tested head to head of the Ampere to the Sundown, but they would be fairly comparable. 

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Got the sub in, turns out that the sub is 5.125 inches from mounting flange to the back of the magnet. But that wouldnt allow any room for the pole to breathe. So in my opinion it requires 6 inches of depth which i have, except my box has a slight angle inside and the magnet hit the side of the angle so i cant use it for my audi but im gonna put it in crew cab sierra.

20190124_152533.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this