Sign in to follow this  
macantley

American bass VFL-8" woofer depth?

I went a bit off script here and made the port 15.5" long with a 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe, so the box is a bit oversized but i just tested the sub in my home theatre room and it sounds pretty bad ass for a single 8" sub, out of curiosity i had my son cover up and hold the port closed while i was playing some music and it cut the output down so much that it was pretty pathetic.  Granted the box is completely too large for a sealed enclosure.   I Cant wait till i get my amps setup and everything mounted and carpeted in the truck.   I really appreciate the help, i would have never been able to get the sound output right without you guys. 
from what i'm seeing it should be tuned to "around" 34HZ
matthew

Edited by macantley
added to story

4 hours ago, macantley said:

I went a bit off script here and made the port 15.5" long with a 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe, so the box is a bit oversized but i just tested the sub in my home theatre room and it sounds pretty bad ass for a single 8" sub, out of curiosity i had my son cover up and hold the port closed while i was playing some music and it cut the output down so much that it was pretty pathetic.  Granted the box is completely too large for a sealed enclosure.   I Cant wait till i get my amps setup and everything mounted and carpeted in the truck.   I really appreciate the help, i would have never been able to get the sound output right without you guys. 
from what i'm seeing it should be tuned to "around" 34HZ
matthew

What are the outer dimensions and wall thickness of the enclosure?

giphy.gif

the front is 28.25" x 9.25" and its double thick 3/4" MDF

the back is 6.5" x 28.14" 3/4" MDF

the top is 14.5" x 28.25" 

the bottom is 13.75" x 28.25"  (so it has a bit of a wedge shape because of the front/rear height difference) 

there is also a notch cut out of the bottom on one side thats  14" x  8" x 1.375"  (had to get the box over the center up in the floor for the driveshaft/transmission)

once i have the box carpeted and everything installed i'll probably post a picture up on the forums. 

The volume is probably around 1cf and that length of a port would put the tune around 30-32hz. I would shorten the port or at least design a way for it to be removable, that way you can play with different lengths and test what works best.

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

The volume is probably around 1cf and that length of a port would put the tune around 30-32hz. I would shorten the port or at least design a way for it to be removable, that way you can play with different lengths and test what works best.

right now i can remove 5 screws that are stablizing the port to the box, and take the sub out and the port can be hammered back out of place, i cut the hole so snug to the port that i had to use a flat piece of wood and a hammer to put it in the box so its a pretty tight fit. I was actually pretty  proud at how good of a circle i cut out using a really old craftsman jigsaw. 

11 minutes ago, macantley said:

right now i can remove 5 screws that are stablizing the port to the box, and take the sub out and the port can be hammered back out of place, i cut the hole so snug to the port that i had to use a flat piece of wood and a hammer to put it in the box so its a pretty tight fit. I was actually pretty  proud at how good of a circle i cut out using a really old craftsman jigsaw. 

In the future try mounting the pvc to plate like piece, this allows you to use bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. You'll want to use a thin piece of closed cell foam weatherstripping on the back side so it seals with the box well. Aeroports work equally as well. If you manage to remove your current port, use a  rotary barrel rasp and a drill to bore out the hole so the pipe slips in easily. Make sure to wear a dust mask because you don't want to be breathing in that mdf dust. 

Here's an example of what I mean:

L11.jpg

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

In the future try mounting the pvc to plate like piece, this allows you to use bolts and wing nuts for easy removal. You'll want to use a thin piece of closed cell foam weatherstripping on the back side so it seals with the box well. Aeroports work equally as well. If you manage to remove your current port, use a  rotary barrel rasp and a drill to bore out the hole so the pipe slips in easily. Make sure to wear a dust mask because you don't want to be breathing in that mdf dust. 

Here's an example of what I mean:

L11.jpg

might be why i've been sick for the last 4 days, I've breathed in a bit of MDF dust i figure. I built a sub box for my wife's car and this one for my truck, my wife's looks like shit because it was supposed to be .4CF sealed for one 8" sub and she said it wasnt loud enough so i made  a 2.25" thick mounting ring on her box and put a 10" sub in the same enclosure and she's happy now, i'm sure its way undersized for her diamond audio CM3 10" subwoofer but she's happy with how it sounds now and thats all i care about.   

Someone say 5 ch amp?!

1232.jpg

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835 (Pioneer DEH-80PRS coming soon)

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Wolfram amps coming soon, 3000.1, 125.4

2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

16 hours ago, Boomin_tahoe said:

Someone say 5 ch amp?!

1232.jpg

something your selling? something tells me a DD amp is overkill for a single 8" sub though. 

17 hours ago, macantley said:

something your selling? something tells me a DD amp is overkill for a single 8" sub though. 

thats not a DD, its an elemental designs

also, its better to have a fair amount more than you need than less

Edited by youdoofus

10 hours ago, youdoofus said:

thats not a DD, its an elemental designs

also, its better to have a fair amount more than you need than less

ah, I see, I'm not very familiar with Elemental Designs but after looking at their stuff it looks top notch! definitely a nice amp, specs look about right for what i need, No idea what the person is asking for it. But in all honesty, i'm hoping to find an old school sony XM-7557 (or is that considered "mid" school)

12 hours ago, macantley said:

ah, I see, I'm not very familiar with Elemental Designs but after looking at their stuff it looks top notch! definitely a nice amp, specs look about right for what i need, No idea what the person is asking for it. But in all honesty, i'm hoping to find an old school sony XM-7557 (or is that considered "mid" school)

they were a firm out of somewhere in iowa (very close to where i live) and were korean built. They went bust, but not for the same reason twisted sounds went bust. I should say that by saying theyre korean built, thats a good thing. Not sure if you knew that or not

Edited by youdoofus

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this