Fi Q neo 12 down firing box @ 3? Hz extended cab ranger

just got my hands on a dd m1d and an Fi Q neo 12.

94 ranger extended cab. max outer box dimensions look like 32"wide. 18" deep (front to back). 20" tall. looking to keep this as stealth as possible, so thinking down firing woofer side exit rectangular port.

i dont have any box modeling software experience. however, i do have a buddy with a cabinet shop.

i am a machinist by trade so i understand dimensions, construction methods, radiusing sharp corners etc.

but i do not know how much space needed between the woofer and the floor etc....

music is some rap, lost of techno and drum n bass, no competition , but like it very loud on occasion

hope that is enuf info

looking for somebody willing to give me dimensions for a "diy kit" and perhaps further my knowledge in this subject

I'd avoid downfiring..

sub forward, port driver/pass depending on what you want is a pretty good combination that won't cause you to lose the ability to throw stuff on top of the box if need be

Then i would have to go 4th order . i need the woofer not to be visible from the windows. is 4th order band pass an option. if i remove the fold down seats i can get more width...
that'd take up too much room

it'll be hard to see it through the window if its tinted but it's up to you

im just trying to learn, why is down firing to be avoided?
Not sure what everybody’s beef is with down firing. I have 2 12’s in a sealed box down firing underneath my rear seat in my Silverado crew cab and they sound great. Booms so hard that I have the remote bass adjustment knob at half most of the time. I was told “That’s never gonna work”. Even by the place that installed it. Well, it worked. Even the installer couldn’t believe how hard it hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='mikedeezxxx']Not sure what everybody’s beef is with down firing. I have 2 12’s in a sealed box down firing underneath my rear seat in my Silverado crew cab and they sound great. Booms so hard that I have the remote bass adjustment knob at half most of the time. I was told “That’s never gonna work”. Even by the place that installed it. Well, it worked. Even the installer couldn’t believe how hard it hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Without trying to insult @mikedeezxxx ... I wonder what setup he has and whether he has heard a decent 2-12 setup... this was not even what I would consider really loud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9wp4XVDC5E

A lil' rowdy maybe... but hey, it's budget gear

This?.. any thoughts?

4kByFd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. very cool. I would be interested to see where the center of that port is. with the dimensions i can check to see if its firing right between the two seats, which would be great.

also if the height was reduced to 18in, what is the increase in width?

and is it a characteristic of 4th BP boxes to be tuned higher that straight up ported boxes? i often hear ppl saying box tuned to 33 or 38, rarely do i hear 50...

hope to hear back

38hz, 33hz... thats a ported tune... for a 4th I'd recommend a mid-hi 40's tune. the ratio lends itself to good low end without being too peaky. Should be pretty musical. I can lengthen the port slightly and lower the tune. It'll change sealed volume slightly hence ratio... but not too much so it'll be musical still. the Q has a 11.5" depth so the port has to be offset. My first attempt had a 44hz tune but after some consultation it needed to be raised a touch as over 55hz it fell flat on it's face.

wow. very cool. I would be interested to see where the center of that port is. with the dimensions i can check to see if its firing right between the two seats, which would be great.
also if the height was reduced to 18in, what is the increase in width?

and is it a characteristic of 4th BP boxes to be tuned higher that straight up ported boxes? i often hear ppl saying box tuned to 33 or 38, rarely do i hear 50...

hope to hear back
yes because in ported box the port controls the sub.. bp box is a sealed box with a ported box on the back of sub lol

just got my hands on a dd m1d and an Fi Q neo 12.
94 ranger extended cab. max outer box dimensions look like 32"wide. 18" deep (front to back). 20" tall. looking to keep this as stealth as possible, so thinking down firing woofer side exit rectangular port.

i dont have any box modeling software experience. however, i do have a buddy with a cabinet shop.

i am a machinist by trade so i understand dimensions, construction methods, radiusing sharp corners etc.

but i do not know how much space needed between the woofer and the floor etc....

music is some rap, lost of techno and drum n bass, no competition , but like it very loud on occasion

hope that is enuf info

looking for somebody willing to give me dimensions for a "diy kit" and perhaps further my knowledge in this subject
I understand about the tune.
what if the height was reduced to 18in, what is the increase in width?
if you would have given accurate dimensions in the 1st post re-sizing wouldn't be necessary... as far as new measurements and what would be what... I really don't know offhand and I'd just look for a 2:1 ratio for good musicality... peakiness or loss of output can be something you might get either tuning too low or too high of a ratio or a combination of factors. That box above is for your power (DD m1d @ 1 ohm) and looks good to me for the music taste you listed. A 46-48hz tune might be something to look at but this is what I came up with after a 44hz tune was deemed too low after some consultation.

It's actually fairly good sized on the sealed side and should go low pretty well.

But hey... I'm learning new things daily. This enclosure is what I finally settled on... I'm sure it can be improved

the dimensions are accurate. i was just curious. no worries. i was not sure how difficult a minor shift was. so moving forward with your initial design, how do i get specifics? how can i get a cut sheet of parts and their respective dimensions?

thanks

the dimensions are accurate. i was just curious. no worries. i was not sure how difficult a minor shift was. so moving forward with your initial design, how do i get specifics? how can i get a cut sheet of parts and their respective dimensions?
thanks
I'll send a PM in a sec

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.