focal k2 power 165kr sound terrible

alex1002
10+ year member

Good day,

I installed my focal k2 power 165kr fronts by professional installer with sound treating material in the doors. And they sound absolute terrible. I tried three different amps and all sound the same. It feels like the bass is missing and give me headache. I tried a zed levithian amp, a nakamiki pa2004 amp and JL audio 500/4 amp. All sound the same terrible.

What am I doing wrong here?

Alpine Ina w910 headunit.

Thank you

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

It feels like the bass is missing
Are you using a subwoofer? Where are your crossovers set? Are you using crossovers on your head unit, amp, passives that came with the components, or some combination? Do you have any EQ or other boost or "enhanced" settings used on your head unit?

Likely this is user error because Focal isn't known to make junk, but sound of components is pretty subjective. Have you used any other components in that vehicle?

Good day,I installed my focal k2 power 165kr fronts by professional installer with sound treating material in the doors. And they sound absolute terrible. I tried three different amps and all sound the same. It feels like the bass is missing and give me headache. I tried a zed levithian amp, a nakamiki pa2004 amp and JL audio 500/4 amp. All sound the same terrible.

What am I doing wrong here?

Alpine Ina w910 headunit.

Thank you

sounds like the guy has no idea how to tune your head unit. you need to know how to use your EQ. Changing amps wont do sh*t

I was told that the speakers may be blown by installer. That's why they sound horrible. On my head unit I found setting for bass and treble frequency. I tried playing with them no improvement.

You should not be using crossovers on your amp and your head unit. Pick one and use the other through-pass.

Try to use balance/fader to isolate one speaker at a time, do they all sound right? Does the bass get louder or muddier when you fade/balance back to all channels?

What subwoofer are you using? If none you simply can't cross your mids over at 100hz and expect there to be bass and you definitely can't expect to throw 100W full range into those components and not destroy them. Either add a subwoofer or run FULL RANGE to those mids and keep the volume way down to avoid over-excursion.

Try flipping the + and - wires at one of the 6.5's and see if the bass returns, from your description sounds like one of the speakers are out of phase....

If you are using the xovers that came with the set you can do it at the midrange output on the xover....

I was told that the speakers may be blown by installer. That's why they sound horrible. On my head unit I found setting for bass and treble frequency. I tried playing with them no improvement.

swap out the head unit. Its not cutting it in sound tuning options. To be honest that head unit model is garbage for actual sound quality.

With focal speakers you need at least a 13 band EQ head unit and be able to run active network mode. Clearly the passive crossover of that component set does not fit your vehicle's acoustics so you'll have to ditch that crossover, wire the speakers to the amp directly and control the crossover points where the midrange and tweeter meets through the head unit. Also with your current head unit you only have bass and treble which does absolutely jack sh*t So does swapping out amps. Does absolutely NOTHING.

All this is not the speaker's fault and definitely not the amps' fault. Its the head unit's inability to properly tune the speaker. You can throw any other speaker on it and it'll sound like junk as well. All actual sound quality starts from the source. Shitty source = shit system no matter what you have installed.

I wanted to provide an update on changes I made. I took out the crossover and wired the tweeters directly into channel 1 of my zed amp and the woofer into channel 2. Now my issue I only get the tweeters working and if I move the rcas to channel too I get the woofers working. What am I doing wrong
ec9c8ba573eeb139f1fc229c1edda4a1.jpg
7347d27a8b685dc0324c359dc3b48377.jpg

I wanted to provide an update on changes I made. I took out the crossover and wired the tweeters directly into channel 1 of my zed amp and the woofer into channel 2. Now my issue I only get the tweeters working and if I move the rcas to channel too I get the woofers working. What am I doing wrong
ec9c8ba573eeb139f1fc229c1edda4a1.jpg
7347d27a8b685dc0324c359dc3b48377.jpg

you should stop before you blow your tweeters.... did you see what I said? your head unit does not offer any of that capability. if you wire the tweeter straight to the amp without your head unit to cross things over you'll blow the fk out of your gear.

your goal is to first

get an active capable head unit for example pioneer 2800bs or 3800bs, 4800bs, 5800bs.

the top rca output from the head unit will be tweeter

the mid rca will be midrange

the bottom will be subwoofer

buy some rca splitters and split the midrange rcas so you'll have two lefts and two rights.

tweeter rca should be plugged on channel 1 and 2. same with speaker wire.

channel 3 and 4 will be left mid rcas and the speaker wire will be bridged

channel 5 and 6 will be right mid rcas and the speakers will be bridged as well.

you will need to start off the head unit in network mode or else you'll blow your gear. report back when you are at this stage. If you still haven't changed head units then nothing else matters, you'll have the same sh*tty issues over and over again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.