To Focal or not to Focal

Karlton

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have someone wanting to sell me these Focal Utopia 165 W3 speakers but I cant find any information about them. Hoping someone could tell me if they are real and if they are in good condition, worth the $800 the seller is asking for.
IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG

It is a quality set, but not a set for everyone. Sound is purely subjective and while these are an excellent quality set, not everyone will like the way they sound. I personally don’t care for how they sound, especially the tweeter.

They're really clear. I would want to be using a really high end amp for em, digital music, and have a vehicle that is sound deadened or you're never going to notice the quality.

That model is somewhere around 15-20 years old.

That picture looks like a copy of a copy of a copy. Not sure how the sale is going to go down, or if you know that person, but be cautious it's legit. Even when I sell something on craigslist, anyone can snap a pic with todays date and send it.

I've used Focal drivers in my home systems for 30 years until they quit selling the individual drivers a few years back. Those are worth what they asking, close ($650-$700, used) but there is a caveat...

As others have alluded to, what you feed them is paramount. With increased clarity and articulation, feed them marginal source material and these speakers are going to expose weaknesses in your system, not make weakness sound better. Properly set up, and fed correctly, they are outstanding speakers. They excel at very detailed, accurate reproduction of the source material. With the advent of DSP, one can take them to levels unattainable prior. If I were in the market, given that I have a high-end system built around sound quality, (and they were closer to $550) I'd probably spring for these.

Last edited:
Those speakers were $2k when they came out. The new model is over $3k.

That model was discontinued probably 15 years ago, and a new model 20+ years ago. That's where it's a gamble.

If I was in the market I would be interested in those for that price. I see it as you're trying to build a $5-$10K system, for $3K-$5K. You may get got.

The thing is though, even if 99 of us say they are the best sounding speaker we have ever heard, you may hear em differently. There is no perfect sounding stereo that covers everyone, it's subjective. No way in hell am I spending $800 on a used set of speakers like that and not having a guarantee. Ebay or paypal, and you can return em. If this is a cash deal, no way am I buying until I hear em. If they don't understand that, or won't make that happen, then the deal is probably not as good as it seems.

I myself would look for a newer set of speakers for the money. Something sitting that long and not used deff depends on how they were stored and cared for properly. Especially speakers and certain subwoofers and or even electronics themselves. Not knowing what environment they were stored in or humidity and temps. leaves it taking a chance of 50/50 they will last, a day, week, a month,or a year or two? If im going to spend that kind of money on speakers.. Id at the least want a warranty of some kind if they arent some type of collectable or Relic

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. I think I will get a new set. Trying to get a new system installed anyway.View attachment 53419

Nice start!!!

I thought I had decided on the Audison bit Nove DSP. I'm going full active and today, I'm happy to say that I just ordered the AudioControl DM-810 instead. I'm Running a Focal FDP 4.600, An AudioControl LC 4.300 to two sets of Pioneer Pioneer TS-Z65CH Comps up front, and the matching coaxial 6.5" for rear fill (I'll now wait for all the Pio doubters), two Focal 33v2 13" subs powered by a DS18 Hooligan 3KO, I'm excited! I urge you to go listen to these Pioneer Z series if you can find a shop that has them up. I've listened to them next to the $4-$500 sets from Morel and Focal and they really stood their own. they are a straight knock-off of the VERY pioneer limited edition drives with the same cones sold in Japan. One of the smoothest aluminum domes I've ever heard. I actually prefer them to the Focal alloy tweeters, they don't have that inherent ringing at around 18-22K that most metal domes suffer from. Those MESOs mentioned are nice and I considered them too - just running out of room. 3 ways complicate the installation a bit too, got to draw the line somewhere! ;) Here's a guy on eBay who is taking offers. Offer $250, and see what he comes back with.

I have someone wanting to sell me these Focal Utopia 165 W3 speakers but I cant find any information about them. Hoping someone could tell me if they are real and if they are in good condition, worth the $800 the seller is asking for.
View attachment 53362View attachment 53360View attachment 53361View attachment 53359
Excellent set of speakers if they're in good condition. I ran the home audio version of that midbass driver for a while. Still have them in my basement. The tweeter is really bright and best run off-axis. Back in the day, people seemed to have the best luck cross firing that tweeter in the a-pillars as opposed to aiming them on axis. That set tends to sound accurate and detailed, a tad aggressive and forward. They lack "fatness" and warmth. If you like the laid back sound of Morel, Dynaudio, CDT, you may not like the sound of the Focals.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...