Q: Best highest performing 5.25" round speakers

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
I know I'm opening a kettle of fetid fish here, but what's CarAudio.com's opinion on the best quality high performing 5.25" round speakers? I have Alpine SPR-50's in here right now and I KNOW there are better speakers available. I'd like to get a pair for my current progressing slowly build.

Here's how my current Alpine SPR-50's mount, Cheap and cheesy I know, but leave it up to Chrysler and that's what you get!

14468747_1145671528826659_2466094923017711820_o.jpg

John Kuthe...

What do you want to improve? That type of mount will do bad things for the low end response of any speaker.
I would LOVE to improve the speaker mounts, but that's not in my plans for the near term case. I'd love to get into a very great compact mounting 5.25" round speakers right now and upgrade later to separate mids and tweeters. I Googled "best highest performing 5.25" round speakers" and got a few interesting hits, but again I am looking for CarAudio.com's best wisdom.

John Kuthe...

Well there isn't a good answer. It's not a good location or fit for a full range driver. Only good for about 200hz up. And most coax will beam before the tweeter picks up.
Yes there is, you just don't like it!

John Kuthe...

Without doing mods to the dash i wouldn't replace what you have. I would however change the direction of the tweeters. I find reflecting off the glass to be rather harsh. Try angling them at the opposite seat, drivers dash at the passengers seat and passenger dash at the drivers seat. Without sealing off those back waves you will have a lot of cancellation even on the best speakers. A budget helps for finding a product as well if not get focal be 5.25 mid.

Without doing mods to the dash i wouldn't replace what you have. I would however change the direction of the tweeters. I find reflecting off the glass to be rather harsh. Try angling them at the opposite seat, drivers dash at the passengers seat and passenger dash at the drivers seat. Without sealing off those back waves you will have a lot of cancellation even on the best speakers. A budget helps for finding a product as well if not get focal be 5.25 mid.
Good points! Yeah these Chrysler speaker mounts have to be the cheapest worst I have ever seen! Only two opposing mounting screw mount points and NOTHING behind or enclosing the speakers! Just hands them there in mid-space!! Could be because I have the base model Grand Caravan which didn't even HAVE speakers in there when I first looked! Just some stupid fiber cover plate bolted in! I plan on eventually pulling the windshield out after measuring carefully for the dimensions of a dashtop speaker cabinet I could have built for a pair of maybe 8 inch midrange drivers and separate tweeters, but for right now I'm looking to optimize the cheap little mounts I have, as best I can. The Alpine SWR-50s I have in there now are kinda nice but I'm sure there are better 5.25" speakers out there. I am looking for suggestions. I'm thinking of getting some F.A.S.T. rings to mount on the 5.25s too, maybe.

John Kuthe...

Read up on cancelation and backwaveInstall matter more than equipment.
YOU are evidently just INCAPABLE of answering a simple question! There are lots of 5.25" speakers out there. I'm looking for people's experiences with them!

Plonk! (Sound of LosIsATool dropping into the troll bucket!)

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.