Best lithium for 14.6-15.3V charging

Water Bear

Senior VIP Member
Question as per the title. Thinking the answer is LTO, even though my charging voltage can only get them to between 40-75% SoC. Can't go 5s as that charges at 14, but 6s charges at like 16.8 which is way above where I'm at. What do you guys do?

The voltage range is what I observe under max load and warm (14.6) to cold idle (15.0 - 15.3), depending on the volt meter. I've got several hooked up and all they report differently ("a man with many clocks never knows what time it is"). Mechman says charging voltage should be 14.8 warm and that's probably the reality.

As an additional question, how do you guys figure required Ah? These claim a 10c rating, so do you guys figure "I need 1600A of fusing, so 6s4p @ 10c = 1600 A burst should work"? Plus maybe another bank for headroom?

So here is the answer to my own question: sodium ion batteries like this one. The charging voltages are right there and include the 14.8-15.3 range.

Note to anyone who finds this thread via a search: There are basically two Li options in the universe right now. Batteries that require you to charge at like 16V (typical LTO) and batteries that can't charge higher than 14.8 (LiFePO4). Those are your options. If you charge in the low 15s, sodium ion is the only game in town. Go LTO, and you'll never charge the battery above roughly 50%, and the reserve capacity will be poor. Go LFPO, and you might set the damn thing on fire. Oh, and if you're under ~10k and / or don't really know what you're doing, you really don't need Lithium at all...just get a D7500.

There is no sodium in either battery. Hispls made a very informative post about lto. I personally use lifepo4 (lithium iron phosphate) because it works with oe.

I too have a 200 Amp BMS, 100ah lifepo4 as my new second battery. Works great! I have a pretty nice 300 amp smart isolator too, for other reasons than voltage/charging compatibility. So far, so good!

There is no sodium in either battery. Hispls made a very informative post about lto. I personally use lifepo4 (lithium iron phosphate) because it works with oe.
Hmm...my post might have been confusing. I am saying that sodium ion is the one to use if you're charging low 15's. Not either of the Li ion options. It was an attempt to explain why the Li options don't work at 15.3. you're either way over voltage or way under.

Sodium ion batts would cover your needs in a 4s bank but I believe they are 10c cells as far as what sirko has available

6s yinlong will be fine above 15v mine charge at 15.5v but youre only gonna lose 5-10% capacity at 15.3v

The 40ah yinlong are 10c. A single 40ah bank I know can put out over 400amp because it would start my truck. I have 80ah in my truck just to have some extra reserve.

And just an fyi 6s lto does gain much of anything charging above 15.8v even though they are safe to 16.8v

And 4s lifepo4 should not be charged over 14.6v not 14.8v.

5s lto is good up to 14v and should only be used in old cars, Hondas , or when you don't care about shortened battery life and charge at 14.4v

Last edited:
Wow 24ah per cell that is impressive or am I reading that wrong pop? Because at those prices 4 of those is a hell of a lot cheaper then anything else out there for 96ah!

Wow 24ah per cell that is impressive or am I reading that wrong pop? Because at those prices 4 of those is a hell of a lot cheaper then anything else out there for 96ah!

They are 2.3 volt cells. You would need 6 in series for a single bank of 24ah.
The Yinlongs are 40ah but 10C where these Plannanos are 24ah and 30C.

I love my Yinlong but if I were to buy now I would do Plannano.

Those are good cells be sure to find a bus bar maker before ordering. They should have several options by now other than diy. Even sirko cells bus bars now. Nothing fancy but they work

Kinda thought so Pop but wasn't sure as what they put up there can be kinda confusing since I know nothing about lithium or those setups. Either way not too bad. If I ever go that route still thinking I will go the route you put up awhile ago for those one batteries that are 499 or w/e they are the glow voltage ones iirc.

Kinda thought so Pop but wasn't sure as what they put up there can be kinda confusing since I know nothing about lithium or those setups. Either way not too bad. If I ever go that route still thinking I will go the route you put up awhile ago for those one batteries that are 499 or w/e they are the glow voltage ones iirc.
Glowevoltage makes good preassembled batts, advanced electric makes some nice ones too. I think sirko was working on a cased sodium ion batt too.

They are 2.3 volt cells. You would need 6 in series for a single bank of 24ah.
The Yinlongs are 40ah but 10C where these Plannanos are 24ah and 30C.
Damn, that explains why the Plannanos are hot right now.

Sodium ion batts would cover your needs in a 4s bank but I believe they are 10c cells as far as what sirko has available

6s yinlong will be fine above 15v mine charge at 15.5v but youre only gonna lose 5-10% capacity at 15.3v

The 40ah yinlong are 10c. A single 40ah bank I know can put out over 400amp because it would start my truck. I have 80ah in my truck just to have some extra reserve.

And just an fyi 6s lto does gain much of anything charging above 15.8v even though they are safe to 16.8v

And 4s lifepo4 should not be charged over 14.6v not 14.8v.

5s lto is good up to 14v and should only be used in old cars, Hondas , or when you don't care about shortened battery life and charge at 14.4v
That all agrees with what I've read. And yeah, the Na ion pre-built I linked above is like 40 Ah 10C so pretty similar to the Yinlongs overall. The only thing about the Yinlongs that concerns me is that 14.8 only gets me to 50% full, whereas 15.3 would be over 75%. I can't tell you how many times I've checked the voltage under my hood with a DMM trying to figure out what the Mechman really does.

Damn, that explains why the Plannanos are hot right now.

That all agrees with what I've read. And yeah, the Na ion pre-built I linked above is like 40 Ah 10C so pretty similar to the Yinlongs overall. The only thing about the Yinlongs that concerns me is that 14.8 only gets me to 50% full, whereas 15.3 would be over 75%. I can't tell you how many times I've checked the voltage under my hood with a DMM trying to figure out what the Mechman really does.
Usually you can get a pigtail to bump up the voltage on me an alts maybe contact them and see if it's possible. I took my factory 115amp alt and bypassed the factorys voltage control with a pwm generator and set my alt to its max of 15.5v but this was in a gm truck but I'm pretty sure there are also options for Ford and Dodge as well as other subsidiary brands

Usually you can get a pigtail to bump up the voltage on me an alts maybe contact them and see if it's possible. I took my factory 115amp alt and bypassed the factorys voltage control with a pwm generator and set my alt to its max of 15.5v but this was in a gm truck but I'm pretty sure there are also options for Ford and Dodge as well as other subsidiary brands
That's a possibility. Mechman sells +0.5V plugs. Then the concern would be that 15.8 might burn up the electronics. But if it worked, that would be an easy way to access LTO.

Edit: That's a nice truck in your sig. You still driving it?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...