Q: Best highest performing 5.25" round speakers

I would get 5.25 components. Stuff the hole with polyfil and then use aluminum ducting tape to fill the gaps around the speaker. Powerbass 2xl components are often overlooked. Also the 3 way 2xl that comes with a 3 inch mid would be another good and cheap option. Dragon sound has a cheap 3 way also that don't perform bad. I would not go coaxial in that spot. Just asking for harsh reflections off the glass.

Sometimes, the best answer to a question is the wisdom of why it's the wrong question being asked.

"What's the best 18" subwoofer to fit in my front doors?"

"None. That's not a good place for a subwoofer"

"Oh my God! Just answer the question without your ego!!!"

That's basically what happens in most of your threads. The methods you're using to seek advice are as poor as your ability to exercise humility and accept truths that you might not prefer.

Rather, you could just take the advice and appreciate an idea that might be better than your initial plan, or even just say "I hear what you're saying, but even though my plan isn't ideal, I have reasons why I need to stick to it. So, which 5.25" speaker will be least bad in that location?"

You guys just don't get it!! I'm looking for the BEST 5.25" round speakers, The best. Highest power rating, good sensitivity, good frequency response, etc. Bulletproof and excellent sounding.These Alpine SPR-50s are plastic! Doesn't anyone make speakers with metal frames?

This NOT my final audio system, this is a fast make do for now! I do NOT need to hear about all your "Well, what you should so..." because I know what I should do. Get separate audiophile level separate drivers, etc. And that's my final plan! I guess I will have to build my own perfectly fitted speaker cabinetry up in the top of the dash of my 2006 Grand Caravan, call a windshield replacement truck, pay for two trips: one to pull existing windshield (and LET ME WORK ON IT!) then a second trip to put a new windshield in over my excellent 4 driver speaker cabinet maybe with two 8" mid range and two tweeters, REAL tweeters! On four output channels of a sound processor like the:

Alpine PXA-H800 Digital sound processor at Crutchfield.com

Other four channels to the existing Alpine SPR-69 6x9s in there, but all speakers wired with new 12AWG wires! Actually that's what my installer guy is installing for me! 0AWG from the power and gnd, 12AWG for all speakers, 8AWG for the subwoofer.

Sound like a somewhat decent plan? 0AWG was my installers idea, Alpine specs power and gnd at 4AWG, but I;ll have plenty of power from a power distribution thing fed from 0AWG!! Pretty good, I'd say.

John Kuthe...

I would get 5.25 components. Stuff the hole with polyfil and then use aluminum ducting tape to fill the gaps around the speaker. Powerbass 2xl components are often overlooked. Also the 3 way 2xl that comes with a 3 inch mid would be another good and cheap option. Dragon sound has a cheap 3 way also that don't perform bad. I would not go coaxial in that spot. Just asking for harsh reflections off the glass.
Would not a 3 way have as harsh a reflection as a coaxial?

And you've given me a great idea! I wish I was skilled at CAD or something (could probably learn it fairly easily from a tutorial) to draw the space and figure out how I need to build a cabinet for up there! Maybe I could even slope the top more facing me than reflecting off the windshield! If I have the space.

John Kuthe...

Yeah they are cheap but have great reviews. For the price it's worth a try. Sealed back eliminates the need to work on the dash, it's a mid good up to 15k so no need for a tweeter and 50wrms with 92db sensitivity so they should be decently loud.

I thought you wanted the best? That's a side step
I'm comparing my options. Problem with auto audio equipment is the same as with auto audio enthusiasts!! Everybody claims there's is the best WITH NO SUPPORTING EVIDENCE!!

John Kuthe...

I'm comparing my options. Problem with auto audio equipment is the same as with auto audio enthusiasts!! Everybody claims there's is the best WITH NO SUPPORTING EVIDENCE!!
John Kuthe...
It's not a problem. There is no best. Everything is application and install dependent. What's good to you may not be good to me. Price, brand, materials, etc don't mean best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.