Best lithium for 14.6-15.3V charging

Water Bear

Senior VIP Member
Question as per the title. Thinking the answer is LTO, even though my charging voltage can only get them to between 40-75% SoC. Can't go 5s as that charges at 14, but 6s charges at like 16.8 which is way above where I'm at. What do you guys do?

The voltage range is what I observe under max load and warm (14.6) to cold idle (15.0 - 15.3), depending on the volt meter. I've got several hooked up and all they report differently ("a man with many clocks never knows what time it is"). Mechman says charging voltage should be 14.8 warm and that's probably the reality.

As an additional question, how do you guys figure required Ah? These claim a 10c rating, so do you guys figure "I need 1600A of fusing, so 6s4p @ 10c = 1600 A burst should work"? Plus maybe another bank for headroom?

EnedThat's a possibility. Mechman sells +0.5V plugs. Then the concern would be that 15.8 might burn up the electronics. But if it worked, that would be an easy way to access LTO.

Edit: That's a nice truck in your sig. You still driving it?
The single cab? No it ended up taking out 3 cows in the middle of the night on a local hwy.

My 3500hd I still have.

Most all LTO will run great at 15.3v. I run mine at 15.4 daily, and turn it up to 15.8 for comps. As someone already mentioned, and I know to be fact from running them for 7+ yrs now, most LTO does not really benefit from charging past 15.8v anyways, in a 6S config. I have experimented all the way up to MAX voltage(16.8v) and back down to 15.2, and 15.6 to 15.8 is the sweet spot. BTW, I run a combination of 10ah Scib and 3.5ah pouch cells ...

Last edited:
Most all LTO will run great at 15.3v. I run mine at 15.4 daily, and turn it up to 15.8 for comps. As someone already mentioned, and I know to be fact from running them for 7+ yrs now, most LTO does not really benefit from charging past 15.8v anyways, in a 6S config. I have experimented all the way up to MAX voltage(16.8v) and back down to 15.2, and 15.6 to 15.8 is the sweet spot. BTW, I run a combination of 10ah Scib and 3.5ah pouch cells ...
People have talked about mixing cells to balance C ratings and AH ratings. So it's working for you, then?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...