SW-Level control on Kenwood HU's

Participant count
  • Participant list

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've been searching the forums, but this question seems to have a lot of different interpretation. I have an x395 HU, and have always wondered regarding the -15 to 15 sub out control if 15 gives rated voltage, or if 15 is the equivalent of setting your amp gains at full HU volume. In my previous setup I had it at 13, and now I'm curious if I was ever sending the sub distortion. But then it seems logical to me that it might just attenuate the voltage it's rated for at the full +15 down to -15, always in the clear.

For my current setup I brought it down to +9, just because I prefer to not have to crank my amps gain when the level is at 0...

Any knowledge on the topic much appreciated!

Your right. My Alpine is the same way...only way to get that voltage up is to have the SW level control up to desired taste. Some Hu have low voltage RCA pre outs because it keeps unwanted noises away as little as possible.

Leave the bass boost on the amp at "0"....and the gain properly set and you should be fine.

Some Hu have low voltage RCA pre outs because it keeps unwanted noises away as little as possible.
Can you try to reword this? Little confused on the wording. Thanks for the respose.. seems like its all good then

Can you try to reword this? Little confused on the wording. Thanks for the respose.. seems like its all good then
Ya. Some o/s HU's had as high as 8 volt pre out RCA's. Nowadays mfgr's have figured out a way to decrease any unwanted noise because of high voltage in RCA pre outs. And By noise I mean unwanted sub thump, speaker hissing, alt whine etc.

Ya. Some o/s HU's had as high as 8 volt pre out RCA's. Nowadays mfgr's have figured out a way to decrease any unwanted noise because of high voltage in RCA pre outs. And By noise I mean unwanted sub thump, speaker hissing, alt whine etc.
Side question... I set all gains with EQ flat and sub lvl up (as discussed), but then tweak the eq a bit (such as turn up bass and midbass a few notches), BUT do not come close to approaching the max volume (volume at which I set gain). For example playing at most around 22 or 23 when gain was set at 29 (out of 35), but with some EQ bumps. I figure with a quality HU I shouldn't be distorting, but I'm not 100% sure with the combination of the two. Do you think I'm fine on that?

gain should be set to match HU voltage. I think some people use the dd-1 (Meade style DDM).

The EQ part I'm unsure of because I simply don't use one.

I started a thread couple hours ago with the same question then seen this one. Except my HU is a DDX771 and its sub level is -50 to +10.

For what reason did they decide to step it back an extra -35 to -40?.

Anyways, theirs a youtube with a dd-1 at one of the preouts on a DDX-6021 - distortion began at 32/35. Subwoofer level range from -10 to +10 on this model. When the test was made sub level was +10.

So looks like the usual: attenuate the sub level volume and at max (+10db) level you only get the full 4v. But, for months my gain was set with a max +10 sub level, also and always been clueless and wondering why a DDX771 went back as far as -50 and max being +10. Finally, I reset the gain by dmm, this time lowering the sub level down to +6 and I hear a big difference their louder and especially the bass notes feel and sound much lower just the way I think bass should sound. Im pretty new and have only heard other peoples systems back in the day and I hated the fact mine seemed to be missing the deep bass that everyone else had.

Dont know wtf if I was distorting the entire time with a maxed out sub level but now they sound much cleaner n louder. Amp gains are 25/100 now before they were about 18/100. I'm going to try 0db now.

My setup is two hds315 with a cx1200.1 kicker on each sub. Matching the gains on both amps can get crazy. I think the vibration over time bumps one of the gain dials by a hair and sheesh bcomin out a phase and sheesh. So i set gains several times a month lol

Okay, I guess the guys at 5 Star Car Stereo did a test on a similar unit w/ 4v pre-out and this is what they said: "..If you play the radio volume up to 30 you can turn the sub volume all the way to 10. If you play the radio volume to 35 the sub volume can only go up to 2."

Without knowing how it was tested, their saying the +2/+10db of sub-level signal is clip free at HU volume distortion levels 31/35.

** They used a dd1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.