Relay 12V Constant

Participant count
  • Participant list

venoxcide

US
Hello everyone,

I'm going to have to wire in a relay to my car audio setup as I currently have my REM wire going to two amps, but now I'm going to be adding in some extra accessories like some fans for an amp rack that I'm building, and I want those to all kick on/off with my amp/radio etc.

My question is for the 12V source power that the goes to pin 87 on the relay, is it required that I get an actual 12V constant direct from the battery or can I use a jumper from one of the 4 GA wires going to my amps?

I'm asking because the relay is going in the trunk and I don't have easy access to a 12V constant. My easiest option would be to grab a 12V from up front and run it all the way to the back but since the 4 GA is directly onto the battery already I was wondering if I can just jump a 16 GA wire from that onto the relay for power or will that not work?

Hello everyone,
I'm going to have to wire in a relay to my car audio setup as I currently have my REM wire going to two amps, but now I'm going to be adding in some extra accessories like some fans for an amp rack that I'm building, and I want those to all kick on/off with my amp/radio etc.

My question is for the 12V source power that the goes to pin 87 on the relay, is it required that I get an actual 12V constant direct from the battery or can I use a jumper from one of the 4 GA wires going to my amps?

I'm asking because the relay is going in the trunk and I don't have easy access to a 12V constant. My easiest option would be to grab a 12V from up front and run it all the way to the back but since the 4 GA is directly onto the battery already I was wondering if I can just jump a 16 GA wire from that onto the relay for power or will that not work?
The wire going to your amp is always 12v. Whether you daisy chain it off the amp's power wire or go directly from the battery, it's still coming from the same source. Since you're just making a small circuit for a remote turn on, there should be no issue going off the 4g as you won't be adding much stress to the wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.