Using a standard Bosch relay for parking brake bypass

The pioneer stereo I am uses boots up each time and a 2 or 3 second delay won't work. It needs a few more seconds.
You may benefit from one of these-
Screenshot_20230212-114556.png

What did you do? What old parts did you use? How did you set it up for a 10 second delay? I can wire a button in there, but I would really like to spend some extra time and setup the bypass to delay about 10 seconds. The pioneer stereo I am uses boots up each time and a 2 or 3 second delay won't work. It needs a few more seconds.
I used a relay out of an old TV or stereo system board, a transistor or two, a handful of resistors and a capacitor to to delay the start time of the relay; i bread boarded it to get it dialed in. Basically the transistor doesn’t conduct while the capacitor charges up first boot up each time, then once the cap reaches a target voltage it switches on the relay. It isn’t precision timing, but haven’t had any problems out of it. It’s powered by the remote output so just allows the relay to wait about 10 seconds after the head unit turns on before its contacts close, pretty crude really. That said, my circuit wouldn’t work the same for all relays and I didn’t do a schematic for it as I tested on a breadboard until I got it dialed in. I use to do electronics repair so already had tons of old / spare parts laying around to play with, hence it cost me nothing.

That said, you could buy a bypass for what the parts cost to build it if you had to buy parts. The bypass kits are fairly cheap and guaranteed to work, I only built one since I had parts and I’m cheap like that. If you were to build one, a 555 timer IC would be the way to go, and you can find videos on / schematic to delay the start of a relay with it.

The board posted above might work okay as well.

The legit bypass kits are likely much smaller though and easier to install / mount. I honestly wouldn’t recommend anyone waste the time building one unless you have the parts and have a rough idea how to do it already.

I wonder if the OP’s bypass he ordered worked out okay.

From what I am reading, grounding it will not work. But using a relay will. It just needs to see a ground after the car is started.
That doesn't make any sense. The directions say to hook it up to the parking brake. The parking brake is engaged when the car is off. You start the car, and then disengage the parking brake. ---
For a delayed relay to be required, then you would be required to take off the parking brake before every time you start the vehicle. Then once started, you would need to reengage the parking brake to setup the nav on your stereo (every time you use it), then take the parking brake off again to drive.

For a delayed relay to be needed, your normal operation would need to be:
Get in car,
take PB off,
Start car
PB on, to Set nav
PB off to drive.

Its not. You
Start, Set nav, pb off, then drive. (and that's by what the manufacturer says).

That wire is either ground or hot. You can connect the head unit, then add an extension piece to that wire and touch your battery terminals to find out. Start with batt neg. Once you find out, you wire it in permanently. I THINK its that when your PB is engaged it is ungrounded.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...