Is it hard to use an RTA?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Using an RTA is simple... .getting the response of your car to what you want it to look like is the tricky bit that people spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars trying to accomplish.

Using an RTA is simple... .getting the response of your car to what you want it to look like is the tricky bit that people spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars trying to accomplish.
Eh, get rta response. tune to flat, then make yourself a curve.

not insanely hard. Ive got lil over $2,000 in mine but thats including sound deadening/power wires,speakers,subs, ect.

Eh, get rta response. tune to flat, then make yourself a curve.
Lol, we'll see if it's really that simple..

"Tuning to flat" may be harder than you think. Also, not everyone prefers a flat response. I for one do not

Mo bass is mo better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Lol, we'll see if it's really that simple..
"Tuning to flat" may be harder than you think. Also, not everyone prefers a flat response. I for one do not

Mo bass is mo better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
You tune to flat then create a curve. i mean you could work with the curve you already have but i would prefer to have notes written down of what exactly i need to have a flat response, And then go from there. That way i always have a "Reset" button of sorts.

You tune to flat then create a curve. i mean you could work with the curve you already have but i would prefer to have notes written down of what exactly i need to have a flat response, And then go from there. That way i always have a "Reset" button of sorts.
What's the issue with your tune now?

The learning curve is based on the software used. TrueRTA is easy, REW is free. You need a preamp with 48V phantom power to run the mic. The mics with USB have the preamp build in but you are limited to a USB cable length. I use an external preamp so I can use a 25' XLR mic cable.

The main benefit is being able to see the acoustic response of each individual driver relative to the listening position. Each installation results in slightly different off axis response. you can see where the drivers naturally roll off and then adjust crossover accordingly. you can also adjust levels. You can use an RTA to evaluate subwoofer phase relative to cabin speakers. this helps you determine the best time alignment delay for your subwoofer so it is an acoustic phase with the cabin speakers.

Of course, you can use the RTA to adjust equalizer settings but that's just one of the many benefits having one on hand. a good RTA program will let you easily save snapshots. That way you can quickly measure each individual, driver save each response, then go back and evaluate. Then you can start to combine drivers in pairs and see how they behave, this lets you determine acoustic phase.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.