car radio battery wire 0v when harness is disconnected from the car radio, but after harness connected to the radio , it has 12v, why??!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

lh333_34

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone
I am new in this forum and this is my first thread.

Car model: Toyota echo 2004 sedan.

I used a multimeter to test the car radio battery wire ( blue/yellow) when it was disconnected from the car radio, its reading was 0v. ( as shown in photo 1 ) before and after ignition, isn't it supposed to have 12v even being disconnected from the original radio?

but after I connected the original radio to the harness, its reading was 12v before the ignition (as shown in photo 2) , and 12v after the ignition ( as shown in photo 3) .

I would like to find out why it is like this?

When I tried to connect an after market radio to the harness, the battery wire still read zero before and after ignition, because of this, the after market radio could not be powered up. ( I tested it on direct 12v power supply, the after market radio was working) .

I am looking forward to getting some advice from experienced members on this forum.

Thanks in advance.

photo 1 ( harness disconnected from the original car radio )
zero vol.jpg

photo 2 ( before the ignition)

12v before ignition while connected to the original radio.jpg

photo 3 ( after the ignition )

12v after ignition while connected to the original radio.jpg

Attachments

• zero vol.jpg
    zero vol.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thank you all for your input....It happened that I was following wrong instructions from a webpage saying that the black wire is the ground...and in reality it isn't !

The ground for my car actually is the white/black one! The black is for power antenna.

Once the true ground is identified, puzzle is solved...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...