The dumbest thing you've ever done with a system

Colossus281
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I was going through some post and decided to start this one what are the dumbest or stupidest things have you ever done with a system?

Example

in the late 90's me and my friend hooked up his 2 k amp with two 12 gauge power wire and we would have a contest to see who system would dim there headlights the most and turn the gain up so much the bass didn't even sound like bass lol

lol..ran 6 sets of 6x9s free air in a 66 chevy truck off of a pushknob hu,with a sparkomatic eq, and used duct tape..was back in 1988,my first real stereo system..lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

used a single run of 16g speaker wire to power a 4ch alpine amp then bridged it at 2 ohms. surprisingly didnt blow for quite some time

also ran a sony 4 ch (an XM series so not quite massive ****** sony) bridged at 1 ohm (unknowingly) that Fer got hot as hell but never went into protect and still works till this day

back in the 90s when i first got into the car audio game, i had an a3000db dunno what i was thinking but i put my meter on ac amperage and stuck hot lead to positve and negative lead to negative on amp and smoked the amp, (i was a dumba**) but i got it covered by warranty, haha told em i didnt know what happened to it

lol..ran 6 sets of 6x9s free air in a 66 chevy truck off of a pushknob hu,with a sparkomatic eq, and used duct tape..was back in 1988,my first real stereo system..lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif
It's a good thing there's no spark-o-matic EQ's out there. I can't immagine what would happen if somoene hooked up some funky pups to one!

Back before the internet many stupid things were done.... it was really the blind leading the blind in the early days and an expensive learning curve for a lot of us. In retrospect I have countless terrifying fire hazzards going on at one point or another.

I used to buy equipment from a guy I knew was a thief. He would steal an Alpine pullout, sell it to you, install it for you, then steal it from you a week later and sell it to someone else. By the time he offered it back to you again you almost forgot he already sold it to you once. Got me more than once with that move.

after being up for 24hrs, an empty stomach, and a 12pk i though my ground was my power and my power was my ground when i hooked up my 4chnl....of course magic smoke and everything.....sad thing was it was one of the old school PG 4chnl amps with the darlington chassis.....man i was so pissed...

after being up for 24hrs, an empty stomach, and a 12pk i though my ground was my power and my power was my ground when i hooked up my 4chnl....of course magic smoke and everything.....sad thing was it was one of the old school PG 4chnl amps with the darlington chassis.....man i was so pissed...
man that's a good one

man that's a good one
ya tell me about it....soon as i hooked up the second wire nothing but a POP and then smoke rolling....omg i was so pissed at myself for that...i actually left the wires hooked up for a good min just starring at it in disbeliefe...thinking "did i really just do that?"

ya tell me about it....soon as i hooked up the second wire nothing but a POP and then smoke rolling....omg i was so pissed at myself for that...i actually left the wires hooked up for a good min just starring at it in disbeliefe...thinking "did i really just do that?"

I woulda kicked my own a$$ lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.