Help! How do I remove this thing?

gtrem

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
Hey everyone! Newbie here - I have a Porsche 987.1 Cayman and I am trying to remove an aftermarket stereo that was installed in the car. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove this Boss BE7ACP from the dash.

It appears to have 4 clips on the side, but they are so strong and difficult to push. I must be missing something. Please see photo.

Your best bet might be to search youtube. I would guess that bottom in the middle, looks like it might go down. You cropped out the sides, which it is where it probably is.
I’ve found YouTube videos explaining how to take the original stereo out which is very straightforward. But this aftermarket one is a stubborn thing. There doesn’t appear to be anything holding it in on the top or bottom.

Don’t worry about what brand the aftermarket stereo is, worry about the stereo mounting kit that they used. That will tell you how to remove it.

You’re a genius! Thank you so much for finding this. That is definitely the bracket used and instructions confirm that the 4 snaps I’ve located are correct in radio removal.

Now, the instructions state using “soft snap tools.” Any direction you can give me there? I’ve tried using flat head screwdrivers, one on each side. I can get two (top and bottom) out on one side, but makes the other side impossible. Vice versa, I can pop the right two back in, and pull the left out, but make the right side stay in place.

You’re a genius! Thank you so much for finding this. That is definitely the bracket used and instructions confirm that the 4 snaps I’ve located are correct in radio removal.

Now, the instructions state using “soft snap tools.” Any direction you can give me there? I’ve tried using flat head screwdrivers, one on each side. I can get two (top and bottom) out on one side, but makes the other side impossible. Vice versa, I can pop the right two back in, and pull the left out, but make the right side stay in place.
Have you tried using plastic trim removal tools. If you can get one side to come out, place a piece of cardboard in the slot and push it back in. The cardboard should keep the snaps from reconnecting. Then try releasing the other side and pulling it out. Just some thoughts. Let us know how you solved your problem. Good luck.

I have used a piece of hard clear plastic from a retail package to remove a stereo before.
I am only half joking when I say that you should just get 2 spatulas from your kitchen and use them to remove the stereo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...