What's better for bracing? Threaded rod or Wooden Dowels?

No experience with it but id say threaded rod would be the strongest. The only downside is you can see it on the outside.
Yeah I figured you can tighten threaded rod too so it seems easier to apply. But like you said it's visible which *****, I'm just trying to make the strongest box I can for competition and I figure: Double Baffle, Threaded Road/Wooden Dowels, 45's, Fiberglass Resin and maybe use 1" MDF instead of .75" if Home Depot ever gets it back in stock, any suggestions to make a stronger box?

No experience with it but id say threaded rod would be the strongest. The only downside is you can see it on the outside.
Not true... its easy to counter sink it. Ive used both and i have to say the threaded rod really does do the job if you use it right and its a decent diameter, wood works good too and can be cut into very good braces if done strategically. 2x4s or somethig of that nature on the other hand take up more airspace but thats really the only downside to that ive encountered. So i vote user preference

Not true... its easy to counter sink it. Ive used both and i have to say the threaded rod really does do the job if you use it right and its a decent diameter, wood works good too and can be cut into very good braces if done strategically. 2x4s or somethig of that nature on the other hand take up more airspace but thats really the only downside to that ive encountered. So i vote user preference
I don't really care about the looks too much and I CAN counter-sink I'm sure with no problems so I guess I'll give threaded rod a try.

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Baltic Birch..
How much does that stuff run per 4x8? In maine wood is usually cheaper but compared to .75" MDF whats it go for? I hear it's really strong stuff. Also is it easier or harder to work with? (no pun intended.) as in does it splinter easy or anything like that?

I can tell you that when i made my current wall one of the problems i encountered was that it was difficult to brace the port/front baffle because i had to make a v shape for all the fifteens to fit, and threaded rod worked flawlessly

Yeah I guess if you're using a double baffle you can countersink to hide the threaded rod. That's probably your best option for overall strength and doesn't take up much airspace.

Nobody can comment on the Baltic Birch? I'm really interested in using something stronger then MDF I'm willing to put everything I need into this SPL enclosure ever extra .1 decibel counts as we all know and I've heard from Dave the box guy that a strong box is the key to a loud one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

Birch is about 50-60 bucks a sheet. But seeing how MDF is 40 bucks a sheet here. Going with Birch for a few more bucks is an easy choice. Its not as easy to cut as mdf but it does not create the mess that mdf makes.

Birch is about 50-60 bucks a sheet. But seeing how MDF is 40 bucks a sheet here. Going with Birch for a few more bucks is an easy choice. Its not as easy to cut as mdf but it does not create the mess that mdf makes.
MDF is $30 here so I'm guessing Birch will be about $40-50 which isn't too expensive I should only need 2 sheets for my 15's + baffle. Thanks a ton I'll give birch a try and threaded rods.

Baltic birch (not birch ply) is pretty expensive here. Last I checked it was about 70-80 a sheet if you could even find it. Don't know about your area but no one stocks it here..have to special order it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

For an SPL box I'd do double wall with NO bracing. Also don't do 45's until after you've tested the box. You can't just slap a bunch of **** together and call it an SPL box. Start with a good foundation and tweak from there, using a TL to monitor gains/loses from your changes. Which means you make ONE change at a time...

I use Birch for all the builds I do, only downside is splinters now and then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.