Sundown Vs Mmatts Pro Audio. Which is better?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello. Very new to the audio world. Spent 1k on an ATG set up: 2 12s and a 4500 amp. Had turn it up to max bass at all times to be content and I blew them 2 months in. Then I discovered sundowns. Bought 2 12 SA Classics off the same amp and want to upgrade. THEN I discovered Mmatts and heard that they were better. I'm thinking of getting either 2 Mmatts Monster 12s or upgrading my Sundowns to either v.2 or v.3 series. I love quality over anything and don't mind saving up for either. Just want to make sure I'm making the best decision and won't regret it. Thank you.

Those are both very capable subwoofers. I like MMats and sundown. The box you put them in will make a bigger difference than the brand of subwoofer you decide to use. You can make a cheap subwoofer sound great with a nice designed box, or make an expensive subwoofer sound mediocre in a prefabricated box. Either the MMats or the sundown would pound in a good enclosure. I’d go MMats just simply because not many people have those, but if you don’t get them in a good enclosure, they won’t be much of an upgrade in sound.

Just watched a video of ATG amp dyno and it did poorly. At one ohm it was around 50% rated power.

A good guess is you are getting around 1100 watts @ 1 ohm.

Make sure you set your gains correctly, and are not sending a clipped signal to your subs.
You can kill good subs easily if gain isn't set right.

Those are both very capable subwoofers. I like MMats and sundown. The box you put them in will make a bigger difference than the brand of subwoofer you decide to use. You can make a cheap subwoofer sound great with a nice designed box, or make an expensive subwoofer sound mediocre in a prefabricated box. Either the MMats or the sundown would pound in a good enclosure. I’d go MMats just simply because not many people have those, but if you don’t get them in a good enclosure, they won’t be much of an upgrade in sound.
Thank you for replying and yeah unfortunately i do have my sundown 12s in a $120 prefabricated box :/. I do plan on upgrading it for sure I'm just trying to figure out where to place the funds I have, correctly. I only have an amp, Wiring, and my subs. No aftermarket speakers so my bass is flooding my sound so I was trying to save up to get my speakers right first, then my amp, then my box. But I guess I'll definitely focus on box after my door speakers. Also yes I've never heard of either brand until running into people who've ran them in competitions before. Plus me being from Florida I wanted to lean on Mmatts anyways, but if Sundown had better sound quality then I'd rather bump those.

Just watched a video of ATG amp dyno and it did poorly. At one ohm it was around 50% rated power.

A good guess is you are getting around 1100 watts @ 1 ohm.

Make sure you set your gains correctly, and are not sending a clipped signal to your subs.
You can kill good subs easily if gain isn't set right.
Yes I do plan on switching Amps because I do understand fully that my current amp is **** lol. I have a $200 limit on my amp rn, of course as time progresses and I start to upgrade my subs, i will upgrade to better but what do you recommend for my amp with a $200 budget? 750 each sub for 1500 rms

I'd be looking at these with a $200 budget for new...or try to find something used from a trustworthy source

Thank you for replying and yeah unfortunately i do have my sundown 12s in a $120 prefabricated box :/. I do plan on upgrading it for sure I'm just trying to figure out where to place the funds I have, correctly. I only have an amp, Wiring, and my subs. No aftermarket speakers so my bass is flooding my sound so I was trying to save up to get my speakers right first, then my amp, then my box. But I guess I'll definitely focus on box after my door speakers. Also yes I've never heard of either brand until running into people who've ran them in competitions before. Plus me being from Florida I wanted to lean on Mmatts anyways, but if Sundown had better sound quality then I'd rather bump those.
You would be very happy with MMats subwoofers. They are really nice. Putting subs into a nice custom box is like getting brand new subwoofers. I really enjoy building people custom boxes and seeing the look on their faces when they hear what their subs really sound like, especially if they’ve been listening to a prefab for a long time.

Yes I do plan on switching Amps because I do understand fully that my current amp is **** lol. I have a $200 limit on my amp rn, of course as time progresses and I start to upgrade my subs, i will upgrade to better but what do you recommend for my amp with a $200 budget? 750 each sub for 1500 rms
For $200 bucks for a 1 ohm stable amplifier at the moment for the subs you have, Id recommend these as some that @spokey9 has as well.

https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/ct-series-amplifiers/products/ct-1500-1d
This would be my choice or step it up and get the 2k version

Maybe look for a Taramps in your $ range even. a 1200.1 or 1800.1 would work fine for the subs you have. You will get much better response as stated if you do a tuned/ported enclosure.

I believe Big D has a Vid dyno on this amplifier that should work with what you have for now

Amazon product ASIN B08HCVQH9J Id save some funds and run a pair of A.Bass Hawk 12s on the CT Sounds CT3200, That would be a slamming bass setup in a decent 30-32htz enclosure. If you get the 1500, it you can strap it as I will be doing my 2-2ks next summer.All CT sounds amps can be strapped from the 400-3200

For $200 bucks for a 1 ohm stable amplifier at the moment for the subs you have, Id recommend these as some that @spokey9 has as well.

Maybe look for a Taramps in your $ range even. a 1200.1 or 1800.1 would work fine for the subs you have. You will get much better response as stated if you do a tuned/ported enclosure.

I believe Big D has a Vid dyno on this amplifier that should work with what you have for now

Amazon product ASIN B08HCVQH9J Id save some funds and run a pair of A.Bass Hawk 12s on the CT Sounds CT3200, That would be a slamming bass setup in a decent 30-32htz enclosure. If you get the 1500, it you can strap it as I will be doing my 2-2ks next summer.All CT sounds amps can be strapped from the 400-3200
Is American Bass better then Mmatts? Again I'm in love with quality and smoothness with alot of power and so far I'm
For $200 bucks for a 1

Does the ABs have better quality then the Mmats? That's all im looking for is quality with power. Smoothness with no distortion. Because I was going to go with the Kicker Solo L7s before I learned that squared subs causes distortion and I don't want that. Also what does strapping mean?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...