New HiFonics, MB Quart, Maxxsonics Class D stuff any good?

VWBobby
10+ year member

PG and SS nuthugger
West coast
Hi Guys,

I have been out of car audio around 2000 or so when all the major companies started suffering. I liked the old Sound Stream, Phoenix Gold, Rockford and other stuff from the hayday in the 90's.

Since then it looks like a lot has changed in the subwoofer amp world!

My main questions are: Does Class D have the same headroom or sonic space sound like a A/B amp does? Besides SPL, can these amps produce good SQ for music like rock and metal? Not looking for audiophile quality, just not a fart box/burping amp!

My wife listens to Rap and Pop and I listen to rock/metal so I need to build a system that can perform with both. I'm using (2) PG Titanium 12"s, 500-watts RMS single 4-ohm voice coils.Have not built the box until I purchase the amp.

I am very limited on amperage unless I go to a 2nd alternator and special bracket,. Currently have only 75A to work with, with a spare 105mah marine battery (850 CCA) tied into my stock battery with an isolator.

I called the nearest car audio store (52 miles from my house //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif) and they don't have any class d amps in stock for me to audition.....so I'm relying on you guys!

I have read article after article and tried to find reviews but I keep finding the typical teenager or young 20's going "this will bang the S out of yo subs!" or whatever.... I'm looking for people who actually know what sound quality is supposed to sound like. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Thanks for any help!

Hi Guys,
I have been out of car audio around 2000 or so when all the major companies started suffering. I liked the old Sound Stream, Phoenix Gold, Rockford and other stuff from the hayday in the 90's.

Since then it looks like a lot has changed in the subwoofer amp world!

My main questions are: Does Class D have the same headroom or sonic space sound like a A/B amp does? Besides SPL, can these amps produce good SQ for music like rock and metal? Not looking for audiophile quality, just not a fart box/burping amp!

My wife listens to Rap and Pop and I listen to rock/metal so I need to build a system that can perform with both. I'm using (2) PG Titanium 12"s, 500-watts RMS single 4-ohm voice coils.Have not built the box until I purchase the amp.

I am very limited on amperage unless I go to a 2nd alternator and special bracket,. Currently have only 75A to work with, with a spare 105mah marine battery (850 CCA) tied into my stock battery with an isolator.

I called the nearest car audio store (52 miles from my house //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif) and they don't have any class d amps in stock for me to audition.....so I'm relying on you guys!

I have read article after article and tried to find reviews but I keep finding the typical teenager or young 20's going "this will bang the S out of yo subs!" or whatever.... I'm looking for people who actually know what sound quality is supposed to sound like. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Thanks for any help!
No

YES,

and better then any amp series we have produced in the past.

The amps have newly power supplies, newly designd pre-amp, heavier heat sink, better efficiency and improved sound quality.

YES, and better then any amp series we have produced in the past.

The amps have newly power supplies, newly designd pre-amp, heavier heat sink, better efficiency and improved sound quality.
So wait..... Are you telling me that your new equipment is equivalent if not better than the zed built boards of the past?

lulz....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a Hifonics ZXi150.4, and was planning on buying the BRZ1700 for future sub. But I'm not completely satisfied with my four channel so am having second thoughts about the Brutus. Even right out of the box, with plastic endcaps and a gossamer back plate held on by 4 screws just gave me a bad vibe. Maybe their class D amps are legit, but that's just my 3 cents.

This is good to hear. I didn't mean to start a huge debate, but this is great hearing first hand experience with the products.

I was interested in the MB Quart DSC1500.1D or the Hifonics HFi1500D. Both are within my price range just kinda comes down to personal preference I guess?

Wrong forum. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif
Hahaha well, in most forums being the n00b I would get all frustrated but at least somebody is honest! That made me lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

So wait..... Are you telling me that your new equipment is equivalent if not better than the zed built boards of the past?

lulz....
The Maxxsonics dude has nothing to say about this. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I dont care what you say anything by Hifonics thats not old school Hifonics is garbage. The Brutus 1608D benched at 1200@1, over rated by 400 watts and puts out nothing but dirty clipped power. The only decent line by Maxxonics these days is MB Quart. To bad they had to sell out. They do have 1 amp I know of that does rated. The Crunch GPV3000d

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good to hear. I didn't mean to start a huge debate, but this is great hearing first hand experience with the products. I was interested in the MB Quart DSC1500.1D or the Hifonics HFi1500D. Both are within my price range just kinda comes down to personal preference I guess?
i would get the discus

He did say the New stuff, not last years, not 2008,7,6,5, but the new stuff, unless you've actually used the new lines, how can u say how good it is

He did say the New stuff, not last years, not 2008,7,6,5, but the new stuff, unless you've actually used the new lines, how can u say how good it is
Just because they are CEA certified now doesnt mean ****. Bench tests say otherwise on the older models. I havent seen any bench test on the new ones yet. Im still skeptical based on previous incidents.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.