Routing power

Participant count
  • Participant list

CadillacMatt
10+ year member

Disturbing the Peace
Hey all, I have a question about routing power in the car for mobile video...

I have 6 items that need to be powered on the roof: 3 15" flip-down monitors, 2 sun visor monitors, and a video signal booster. Each piece of equipment has #18 gauge power/ground leads and they are fused with very thin glass fuses, so I'm assuming they draw very little amperage (none of the equipment lists actual numbers and Google searches proved useless) so I'm assuming total load I'm looking at under 15 amps or so. I have some spare 9ga wire I could run from the battery up to the headliner for power (it might be overkill but the next smallest wire I have is 18ga and I'm trying to work with what I already have available...)

Once I get the 12v lead run from the battery up to the headliner, I'm not sure what the best way to distribute the power would be... I've thought of everything from installing a mini-fuse box (might not fit up in the headliner where I need it, plus cost issue) to an inline fuse holder (9ga in, 6 x 18ga wires out) and for a minute I even considered the half-ass way but I'd rather not do that (cut the 9ga insulation 6 times and just wrap a wire around each slice to tap power.. lol not very professional or safe)

So, my main question is, what would be the best way to distribute the power to each of these devices? Thanks!

I would use a blue sea st fuse block....google blue sea fuse block.....I would run the 9 AWG wire to under the seat to the fuse block, from there 6 out to the screens.......dont put the fuse block in the headliner because if you blow a fuse it will be a pain to change it......Thats why I recommend putting it under the seat or somewhere very accessible...........Definately check out blue sea fuseholders very nice and affordable...

Is there an overhead console or dome light that has a removable cover? If so, when you remove it, is there enough room for a distro block?

In this case, I would prefab a harness. First slide a piece of heat shrink about 4 inches long over the 9 gauge and then just slide it back out of the way. Next, I would strip the 9ga at about 3 inches. Then I would seperate the wire into 6 equal sections. Solder 12ga on to each section. Clip off any protruding wire and/or sharp edges that will damage the heat shrink. 1 Layer of electrical tape could not hurt here either. Then slide the heat shrink down over your connections. Gently heat it until it shrinks down tight over your connections. Then just run your harness making sure to properly fuse it.

Thanks both of ya's for the replies,

Boogeyman that seems like a great idea, but for one I'm still waiting on my check in a few weeks so I'm trying to work with what I have already... and two fusing the wires again would be sorta redundant..thanks for the idea though

eCrack the clearance up there is pretty tight, but there is a little bit of wiggle room in between the rails, for example the thickness of this video amplifier is about as thick as I could go without having it pop its outline through the headliner:

IMG00008-20100105-1649.jpg

But the wiring harness idea seems really great, that's probably what I'll end up doing, thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.