To all current enclosure designers: a proposal

PV Audio
5,000+ posts

The Vision of Sound
Indy
Ever since I came back to the forum, I have noticed that it seems like everyone and his brother is doing enclosure designing. While that's great, I still get PMs from people asking for me to look at the designs they've bought and see if they're accurate. One enclosure supposedly tuned to 32hz was actually tuned to 46hz, and another that was supposedly 4 cubes net was actually 3.2. Now of course people make mistakes, but I have a proposal for everyone who sells designs on here: make a design of a slot ported enclosure whose variables will be decided upon by me, then send me the design. While I do not claim to be the best designer, I do know rather well what is accurate and what isn't as I've designed hundreds of car audio enclosures and countless other speaker projects. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

For the top 3 most accurate designs, I will give out $15, $10 and $5 "prizes" so that the designing is worth your time. Note: if two people have the exact same design and that ends up being one of the top three, the tie is awarded the average of the remaining amount of prize money (i.e. if it's 2cf @ 32hz and #1 has 1.97cf at 32.02hz and 2nd and 3rd are 1.92cf @ 32.9hz, 2nd and 3rd each get $7.50). All prizes will be through PayPal ONLY. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

If you're interested in doing this, just post in this thread. Once I have at least 8 participants, I'll post the variables up and you'll have a week to send me the design after that. The design will be a simple slot ported enclosure with nothing fancy required. You can assume that the enclosure is sitting in free space and as a result, there is no need to account for specific environmental factors. This isn't to prove to customers that you're better than anyone else, rather, its to prove to customers that you take pride in your product and want it to be as accurate as possible. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

As an addendum, also note that as you probably know, I no longer do anything car audio related, so I am completely unbiased. When you send me your design, I will give you a number. After everything is checked out, I'll post the order of results based on decreasing accuracy by posting their number. If they want to be recognized, then I'll post your name instead, however, if you end up winning and don't want your name revealed then tell me when you send the design and I'll just post your number and send you the PayPal. This is in an effort to keep things fair so that no one ends up losing business if their enclosure was 95% correct while the top 3 were 96% correct. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Also, to account for confounding factors, please list the method that you used to come up with your design (pen and paper, BassBox, LEAP, ProBox, WinSpeakerz, WinISD, etc.). That way, if numerous people have similar numbers from the same program, I will take that into account. This is also in an effort to see who actually knows how to design a loudspeaker enclosure, and who just downloaded a program and is plugging in numbers and making money off of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

A 3D rendering is NOT required as it is NOT a design in itself. However, if that is the way you normally sell your designs, then please do include it. I want to receive everything as though I was your customer. The quality of the rendering will NOT be taken into account nor do I care about it. I started back at 13/14 designing speakers on napkins during 8th grade lunch. While I hadn't the faintest idea as to what I was doing, only a full year after I started selling designs did I start using 3D renderings. MS Paint, SketchUp, RhinoCAD, ProE, Inventor, SolidWorks or a list of numbers are all equivalent in this contest.

Please post in here AND PM me so that your request does not get lost in the thread. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sound like a plan? Let's hope so. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

EDIT: NEW INFORMATION AND CRITERIA, READ!!!

POTENTIAL APPLICANTS: READ THE FOLLOWING!!!

Okay, we need 2/3 more people to sign up for my number of 8. Once we hit 8, I'll post the requirements. I have decided to make it a bit more difficult just to weed out some people using a stolen program who sell things with port lengths of 50" for 1 cube boxes:

1. As stated, the design is for a simple slot ported box. However, I have decided to change something. Your design will be rated out of 100 points. I will normalize everyone's scores to the highest score (if 1.87/2 cubic feet is the closest, then that's the highest score. Please be more accurate than that though ) to guarantee a winner, as long as at least 3 peoplea re within 75% accuracy. This portion is as I've stated so far: build a simple slot ported enclosure to a given tuning and enclosure volume. This portion will be rated out of 75 points.

2. The second part is partially subjective and mostly objective. The enclosure will still be a simple slot ported box, but I want you to take into account a specific driver when you do your design. This way, if you're running an AudioPulse REVO in the same enclosure that can fit a Sony Xplod, you will be able to differentiate the enclosures. This is also done to showcase people taking bracing and other internal structures into account. More importantly, it proves to me that you have intuition about enclosure design and aren't just using an online calculator. You could get away with 8sq in of port on that Sony, but the REVO would compress that port into a pancake. I will post the driver when I post the enclosure specs. Assume that the driver is being given rated power and is again operating in free space. This will probably require you to at least glance at the T/S parameters of the speaker. This is rated out of 25 points.

NOTE: Parts 1 & 2 are for the SAME design. You take into account BOTH. I'm just grading your accuracy for 75% and your intuition for 25%.

Finally, I am adding another section to the test entirely that is 100% optional. This section is 100% subjective and is going to be based on a single speaker in any enclosure you want at any size you want at any tuning you want (if it needs to be ported). The idea here is to show that instead of just being able to work a simple formula, you understand how speakers work in enclosures. Assume for this portion, the system will be operating in a large room with damped floors and walls, so no reflections need to be taken into account. Baffle mechanics, however will be. That means you need to consider baffle step, lobing and diffraction among other things. Since I know many of you guys aren't even interested in things this complicated, that's why this is 100% optional and is worth $15 for first and $5 for second. No third place will be judged. I will list the speaker to use when I list all the other parameters. Assume that the driver has an ideal filter and you only need to optimize the enclosure to the speaker and not any internal circuitry. This will be for an obscure driver that many of you may have heard of, but that's only to ensure that there are no published ideal parameters. You'll have to do that yourself. I just have to ask that if you are uncomfortable with this portion, then don't bother doing it. Don't waste your time learning what takes years over the course of a week.

Note that the first portion's driver being used for this is well known, but may NOT be necessarily car audio drivers. That way, no one has an inherent advantage such as if Incriminator enters and I choose DP12 or TeamPsi send in a design for a SX15.

So, that's basically it. If you want to enter both, please let me know. To make it fair to everyone who does car audio, you can only enter the optional portion if you're doing the slot ported design as well. That way we don't get any guys coming over from avsforum or diyaudio and stealing my 15 dollars. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

SPEAKERS:

Mandatory slot ported design: SoundSplinter RL-P 12

- Net displacement: .15 cubic feet

- Net volume (Vb): 2 cubic feet

- Tuning Frequency (Fb): 30hz

- Wood thickness: .75" (if you choose to double baffle, please let me know)

- Dimension limits: NONE

Optional design speaker: Hi-Vi D6G http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=297-420

- Net Displacement: .02 cubic feet front/flush mounted

- Net volume (Vb): UNLIMITED

- Tuning Frequency (Fb): UNLIMITED

- Wood thickness: .75"

- Dimension limits: NONE

Let's see what you've got guys! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

- Dave //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

No sir, that was a few weeks ago before you started your thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

count me in too please //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif although i have never charged anyone for a design unless it was elaborate, i am interested to see the results.

In for the results.

What will you be using as a standard and will you also be building and testing these designs to verify the tunings?

No sir, that was a few weeks ago before you started your thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
haha, im interested in knowing exactly how accurate mine are. i just use a generic online calculator and windows calculator combined with google sketchup.

Also if it would put people at ease, I can bring in an external source who I trust with regards to enclosure design to blindly evaluate designs. That way, you are getting the aggregate of two opinions, not just my own. That person will not be in the contest, so they are unbiased as well.

I think the design should be for a 15" MMATS Jugg. something like 4.5ft^3 net tuned to 34hz with max demensions of 36" wide, 16.5" tall and 24" deep. Then you should post the winning design here for "all" to see...

LOL

In for the results.
What will you be using as a standard and will you also be building and testing these designs to verify the tunings?
There will be 4 methods used to determine accuracy: simple formulaic analysis aka pencil and paper along with textbook formulas, WinISD, BassBox Pro and a MATLAB program designed by myself. There will be a fifth (the person I mentioned above) if people agree that it would be ideal.

And no, NO designs will be constructed for the reasons I mentioned above: I have neither the time nor the resources to test them, and there isn't a neutral environment where I could verify that everything is accurate. This is merely for a theoretical basis of accuracy. Environmental factors should be handled between the designer and the customer, but if they don't know their basic theory, then specifics are worthless.

are there any rules regulating side lengths et cetera? for instance no further than 1/10th of an inch accuracy.... like do they have to be a plausible design or just mathematically accurate?

There will be 4 methods used to determine accuracy: simple formulaic analysis aka pencil and paper along with textbook formulas, WinISD, BassBox Pro and a MATLAB program designed by myself. There will be a fifth (the person I mentioned above) if people agree that it would be ideal.
Good to hear.

I applaud your efforts for ambitious experiment.

So who checks you? Are you going to account for the port dimensions changing tuning (as in a round port vs square port of the same SA having different lengths for the same tuning)?

I might be in...

And no, NO designs will be constructed for the reasons I mentioned above: I have neither the time nor the resources to test them, and there isn't a neutral environment where I could verify that everything is accurate. This is merely for a theoretical basis of accuracy. Environmental factors will be handled between the designer and the customer, but if they don't know their basic theory, then specifics are worthless.
Yeah, that part was a joke, lol. I didn't think you would want to take that much of your free time constructing all of those enclosures.

You wouldn't necessarily need to measure their performance output-wise, though. Instead, you could simply verify the tuning by taking an impedance sweep and look for the saddle, while observing the coinciding minimum cone motion.

Anyway, good job and good luck.

So who checks you? Are you going to account for the port dimensions changing tuning (as in a round port vs square port of the same SA having different lengths for the same tuning)?
I might be in...
Good question. Firstly, again, if people request it, I will have another party verify my work but only after they themselves have checked the designs. I am fairly confident that my design techniques are accurate as I have 4 1.5" binders full of everything I've ever designed for myself and others and have never had a dissatisfied customer, however, I want people to know that this is as fair as possible, so if an external designer would help, then I'll let him know. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
As stated above, the design is simply a slot ported enclosure to keep things equal. Round ports don't seem to cause people too much trouble, but many seem to struggle with slot port design. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Yeah, that part was a joke, lol. I didn't think you would want to take that much of your free time constructing all of those enclosures.
You wouldn't necessarily need to measure their performance output-wise, though. Instead, you could simply verify the tuning by taking an impedance sweep and look for the saddle, while observing the coinciding minimum cone motion.

Anyway, good job and good luck.
I do this when I'm at home with my testing equipment, but I don't have any of that up here at school. Plus, I don't think Purdue wants me barging into the lab demanding use of a spectrum analyzer, function generators and a $15,000 oscilloscope for an internet contest //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.