Designing Enclosures: Tutorial

Pioneer~Saturn
5,000+ posts

Dr. Enclosure
Dayton, OH
Hey guys,

I don't see that many threads in here about help with designing enclosures, but it is a fairly common topic for posts. I also get quite a number of PM's about designing enclosures, which I don't mind doing them...but designing your own enclosure by hand is a lot more satisfying (atleast to me).

So I'm going to start this thread to guide through how to design yourself a slot-port enclosure without using any software and for completely free (you'll only have to download 'Google Sketch-Up'...which is free)

Anyone with a highschool education and average skills with computers will be able to do this with a fair amount of ease.

You'll need these things open on your computer:

-RE's Enclosure Designer

-Google Sketch-Up

-Your computer's calculator

-Your computer's 'Notepad' feature

(This tutorial is assuming a standard slot-port that is on one side of the enclosure, firing forwards but you can easily adjust these steps to accomodate a side-firing port along with pretty much any rectangular port setup)

First:

-Go to RE's enclosure designer (this will give you a rough idea of what to draw in sketch-up)

-Type in your dimensions (W, H, D) and start adjusting your port width and length to get a good balance of airspace and port area, with the tuning youre looking for

-I like to have this design be a bit larger in airspace and also tuned a bit lower than what you're looking for, because once the sub is accounted for and any 45's in the corners and supports you may want, it will help account for them

Now you will need to go to your Google Sketch-Up window, using a blank page, to begin drawing up your enclosure

The upcoming posts will be a step-by-step guide on what to do to draw up your enclosure and how to do calculations for tuning...enjoy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

-I don't know if this should be stickied, but it would sure be helpful to those in need of enclosure designs

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

Now that you have the port's length written down along with the cubic inches of net airspace (that you should copy so you can easily paste it later, it comes in very handy rather than typing it...because it should be a moderately large number) you will just simply need to multiply your ports width x height to get your port area.

With all three pieces of info mentioned above you can start your calc's for the final tuning of your enclosure.

Start by:

-Square-root of the the port area

-Multiply this by .823

-Add the length of the port

-Multiply this by the cubic inches of net airspace (which you can just hit ctrl + V to paste it to your calculator for quicker calcs)

Now copy the number you have after these steps

Next step:

-184000000 x port area

-Devide this by the number you came up with in the last step (just hit ctrl+V to paste it for faster calcs)

-Square root this number

-Multiply this number by .159

And you should now have the tuning for your enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

PS: If this tuning isn't exactly perfect you can go back and tweak your design...

Some rules of thumb:

-The longer the port, the lower the tuning

-The larger the port area, the higher the tuning

-The larger the airspace, the lower the tuning

So, youre going to have to compensate for having a large port area by making it longer, which will take up more space...something also to consider

just seems easier to just build the box. I guess the 3d box for a customer to see is good marketing I just don't see a real use for it.

just seems easier to just build the box. I guess the 3d box for a customer to see is good marketing I just don't see a real use for it.
Why/how would you 'just build a box'...? I'd hope you'd like to know what it's tuned to etc...

This is really about showing people how to calculate tuning using math and these techniques so that they can understand how to calculate other port setups with just three bits of information (port area, length, and net airspace)...

Thanks saturn. This was great info and help.

Ps, you havent sent me my design for the 18. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

This should be sticky.

No prob, I just wish a long time ago it was layed-out this clearly for me on calculating enclosures...so I made sure everyone can follow this and see what is actually going on..

And I'll get that to you in a sec //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

well the sketch up seems a bit much, It just seems like it would be faster on paper for a simple thing like the layout. the tuning info and math is a nice tutorial that wasn't there when I posted. The first program for boxes I think I ever used was blaubox I think about 10 years ago maybe. The pspport calculator is nice and easy to use and then I just use pvc instead with an inset wooden flare.

Nice write up. Although i feel if you're going to be building a box just like the one on RE's enclosure calculator, you might as well just build it exactly as that calculator specifies. There doesn't seem to be a reason to go to the trouble of using sketchup unless you're trying to build a different type of box.

I use a combination of WinISD and sketchup, along with word/notepad to jot down dimensions/specifics that I find as I go along. Just take total airspace necessary + all displacements, and just build a box with the dimensions necessary to achieve that airspace. Then insert ports and bracing as necessary, making sure to double-check as you go along.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.