Help w/ Sub Placement in Trunk

bl0ckd
10+ year member

is awesome like Obama.
Hey all, need a little advice from the pros at CA.com //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I need to know what will allow my sub to hit harder. I even have pics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif FWIW, the vent is on the left side of the enclosure. I was told by an experienced friend that my current setup is best, but I was just looking for second opinions. Also, my middle seat in the back folds down to expose the trunk, and I know I get more bump when I put that down (if that helps anyone make a decision).

IF my current setup is best, how much of a performance loss will I experience if I go with one of the other options? It's nice having a LITTLE trunk space //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

CURRENT SETUP - Sub in front of trunk, facing up.

faceup.jpg

OPTION 2 - Sub in back of trunk, facing front of trunk.

faceout.jpg

OPTION 3 - Sub in back of trunk, facing up.

faceupback.jpg

Thanks in advance!

you want woofer and port to face the back of the car, and as close to it as possible, if the woofer and port aren't on the same side, i have no idea, my knowledge base goes as far as sealed...

Well, I'm pretty sure when it's in the front of the trunk it blows the others out of the water.. But I was just looking for a more technical answer. I don't really know why I posted this. Sorry.

in general, its varies per vehicle. however, there are theories of 'loading', where output is increased when the sub is faced directly into a wall or corner - this concept was originally applied with the Bazooka bass tubes decades ago. this may also tie into theories of back wave cancellation, based on varying positions of the box in the trunk. this generally applies to enclosed trunks, where the sub is essentially firing into the trunk, sort of like a bandpass system.

I have a single type arrrr in a ported box in my 95 grand prix and I have it facing into the cabin with the middle part of the seat folded down and thats how it sounds the best to me, the port is on the side of the box, not sure if that makes any difference. Also, if I close the opening into the trunk it doesnt sound as loud.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I was also confused at this. Sound waves travel both forwards and backwards, forwards when a cone moves out, back when it moves in. Unless sound waves have become much more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif recently and pull some ninja ****, I don't know?

If sound waves only traveled in one direction there would be no need for a box, or a baffle since they wouldn't cancel each other out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.