iceteebone

Questions about HT

looking to put together something relatively cheap for HT. i'm pretty noob to this but i was thinking probably 2 towers, a receiver and sub is all i need. now for the sub i'll prolly use my 12" brahma since nobody wants it. now towers is where i'm having trouble. first i'm not sure how to make them or design crossovers, second i see a lot of kits that come with drivers, xovers and box plans, is this a good way to go? on the towers i'm really looking to spend only $200 or less on the drivers and xovers, is this doable? not looking for something superior, just something better then my tv speakers

forumwh0rema2.gif

well im not hard anymore and it would hurt so bad to get it up again i would rather stick it out then constantly touch my balls when they hurt this bad

Hey, it's Chicago, not Cleveland, so at least he doesn't have the walking cesspools and centers of disease research that are Grady's Ladies talking to him.

Without much experience with speaker building or acoustics I'd stick with speakers from a local shop. BTW You don't need towers to get full range sound. That's what the sub is for.

I'd get some Paradigm Titans with that budget.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm

That brahma will sound good in an HT. Large and very low tuned enclosure.

Maybe for the price you can try these out http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

They're definitely cheap and may give you more play with your budget for a nicer receiver than you planned. You can always upgrade when your budget dictates later.

Two dolla holla!!! just paypal me!!! i'm a fat m4n wh0r3

Maybe for the price you can try these out http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

They're definitely cheap and may give you more play with your budget for a nicer receiver than you planned. You can always upgrade when your budget dictates later.

I second that motion. These look pretty good given the price range. Any decent HT receiver from a reputable manufacturer should power these fine and have a connection for a subwoofer.

i guess i'm still confused as to the difference in towers and these bookshelf speakers, other then size

forumwh0rema2.gif

well im not hard anymore and it would hurt so bad to get it up again i would rather stick it out then constantly touch my balls when they hurt this bad

Hey, it's Chicago, not Cleveland, so at least he doesn't have the walking cesspools and centers of disease research that are Grady's Ladies talking to him.

Well towers are usually of a 3-way design and incorporate an 8" or larger woofer. Bookshelves for the most part are 2-way monitors with a midbass/mid and tweeter. Towers can usually extend low enough to sound good without a sub. Bookshelves will need a sub to supplement the low end. That would be my best way to explain the difference. Of course this is only a "most of the time" description. I'm sure there are many solutions out there that go against these statements.

Two dolla holla!!! just paypal me!!! i'm a fat m4n wh0r3

two towers and a subwoofer is not a home theater

Buyer: Thetalkingshoe, joshs98runner, theCybe, sephiroth619, chornet44, AK SloPok, Looney_Tune, 5.0, iLLest1aLive, scooter2479, SoundBarrier, tapout, jdc753, flatlander4510, etc.

two towers and a subwoofer is not a home theater

Calm down.

Surround sound is over rated, and people were using two speaks and a sub for their HT prolly before you were born.:rolleyes:

SigCustom.jpg

Without much experience with speaker building or acoustics I'd stick with speakers from a local shop. BTW You don't need towers to get full range sound. That's what the sub is for.

I'd get some Paradigm Titans with that budget.

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm

BTW where could i get some of those? ebay is a no-go...

SigCustom.jpg

Calm down.

Surround sound is over rated, and people were using two speaks and a sub for their HT prolly before you were born.:rolleyes:

people were also using 8 track players

ht is whatever you want it to be.

but me if it isnt 5.1 at least for home movie viewing then your not getting the full experience

now if you listing to mostly music hten a pair of towers will do just fine.

people were also using 8 track players

ht is whatever you want it to be.

but me if it isnt 5.1 at least for home movie viewing then your not getting the full experience

now if you listing to mostly music hten a pair of towers will do just fine.

eh...

SigCustom.jpg

well i got one of those all in one deals from my sister. i think i'll give that a try since i'm not into home audio like car audio. if anything i could always upgrade the speakers since i have a free receiver now.

forumwh0rema2.gif

Calm down.

might be the fact that movies didnt record surround tracks back then. hmm...

Buyer: Thetalkingshoe, joshs98runner, theCybe, sephiroth619, chornet44, AK SloPok, Looney_Tune, 5.0, iLLest1aLive, scooter2479, SoundBarrier, tapout, jdc753, flatlander4510, etc.

might be the fact that movies didnt record surround tracks back then. hmm...

ok who said i wouldn't be adding surround sound? who really gives a **** if it's considered ht or not?

forumwh0rema2.gif

HT can be 1x 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x or 8x of speakers.....

Surround sound can be over rated.... But is still fun in and of it's self....

53f29c77.jpg

53f29c77.jpg

basically want i wanna do is run my dvd player and xbox 360 off of it and play some cd's. this setup came with some little 6.5" subwoofer, so i can just replace that with my brahma, and then get 2 book shelf speakers? what if i ended up selling the brahma and just went with towers? where do i begin designing one? also i see they sell kits, are those any good?

forumwh0rema2.gif

Well.... Have you designed any full range speakers before??? If not... See Parts express projects and READ READ READ READ.... Also check out some of the projects if you can find them over on HTGuide... That is if you have your little heart set on DIY!

53f29c77.jpg

53f29c77.jpg

Well.... Have you designed any full range speakers before??? If not... See Parts express projects and READ READ READ READ.... Also check out some of the projects if you can find them over on HTGuide... That is if you have your little heart set on DIY!

no i haven't but i have no idea where to start and what is needed.

forumwh0rema2.gif

Well start with figuring out if you want 4 or 8 ohms (I would go 8). Then figure out what type system you want. 2-way, 2.5-way, 3-way? Then pick your tweeter, then your mids, then your low driver (if a 3 way) Design a box, then design a cross-over with phase compensation and impedance compensation that works with your box tuning and drivers. Don't forget to displace deadening and bracing. Which you will want. Then build it and put it all together going with a nice finish so it doesn't look like a PVAudio project.

53f29c77.jpg

53f29c77.jpg

Then build it and put it all together going with a nice finish so it doesn't look like a PVAudio project.
:laugh:

:confused:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now