req

going infinite baffle with IDQ15's

i finally decided that it does not matter and im going to wall off my trunk and go IB with a pair of IDQ15D2V2s. i only have 600w for the pair, so efficency is key - and id really like some of my trunk back :)

n1p6c2.jpg

n1p7p1.jpg

n1p7us.jpg

just finished cutting the template onto some MDF, as you can see - up in the rear deck i had my EQ's and Xover hanging down mounted to that MDF, well i took those out and im using that as a mounting location for the IB. quite convienent. i will be pulling up some of the sound dampening at the walls and base of the IB and roughing it up with some 60 grit, and using liquid nails to secure it in place. i plan on covering the front of it all with vynl and mounting the subs from behind and doing a 1\2" roundover on the cabin side of the baffle. on the rear side, i will put back the stock grey carpet and make another baffle that will attach to the rear side of the first one - to cover up the screws of the IDQ's and to cover in carpet. im not sure how im going to mount my amp quite yet. but its going to be somthing very simple im sure.

hopefully most of the build will be done within a few weeks [weather permitting]

if anyone wants to donate $1,000+ or so i would rather have a pair of IDW15's and be able to buy my alpine RUX-H701 & C701 :naughty:

ill clean it all up in a few days. my car is filthy right now :p:

Should sound awesome when you're done man! Those IDQ15's can sound very nice infinite baffle.

If you ever want to sell them, give me a jinge ;)

PS: Speaking of IDW's, if you want to see an awesome IB install, check out Winslow's over on ECA. Four 15" IDW's IB behind the rear seat :drool:

Should sound awesome when you're done man! Those IDQ15's can sound very nice infinite baffle.

If you ever want to sell them, give me a jinge ;)

PS: Speaking of IDW's, if you want to see an awesome IB install, check out Winslow's over on ECA. Four 15" IDW's IB behind the rear seat :drool:

LINK LINK!!!

also squeak, if you are interested in buying them, im interested in buying a pair of IDW15s that are FS on THIS forum lol.

I Plan on getting some IDQs soon, and i never even considered this as an option.

Im going for SQ without really worrying about how loud it is, so i was going with sealed . how does IB effect output for these over a sealed enclosure? I know i could find a general answer to that, but specifically why (besides truck space) are you choosing to go IB?

im contemplating doing it also. after all, i would get my trunk back.

Edit: i type like a dumbass

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."

- Gandhi

well, the are very efficent speakers to begin with [~94db 1w\1m] and put them in IB and that really shines. i will only have 300w to EACH of them when im done. in a sealed box [in the pictures above] 1.5cubes each and 300w each, i did a 138 at like 48hz on the new TL. honestly thats all i need. for all intents and purposes, these dont get crazy loud at the super low notes with that little power, and im hoping the lowend output will increase after i do this. ive listend to them IB [well just freeair] in my house off my HT setup, and they were definatly running full excursion and there was no mechanical noise at all - i was amazed at that.

im not 100% sure on how it will sound different from the sealed box, the sealed box could play VERY high and definatly cut into the midbass range and for lack of a better term - sounded extremly tight and could hit the low notes real well [wich is what i want]

from what ive been told - ib will keep that same sound - but they will be more efficent. i dunno, im only in syracuse about an hour away from ya, so when i get them in you are welcome to come hear it like a week or two from now :p:

LINK LINK!!!

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=126099

also squeak, if you are interested in buying them, im interested in buying a pair of IDW15s that are FS on THIS forum lol.

Shoot me a PM....though the only IDW's for sale that I know of are SPLThunders, and according to the thread they've been sold.

• Haha 1

Well i would be running just 300 watts to each too, so it seems like we would be in the same boat. I am only getting the 12s though, not the 15s if that makes much difference.

So looking at your pics, you built a 'box' for basically only for the purpose of protecting the back of your subs, and it is essentially open (no top)? And im guessing that this is all recessed back behind your rear seats.

I may come visit family eventually, so ill let you know if im in the neighborhood.

EDIT: Oh and in this IB setup, im assuming Deadening the trunk as much as possible is essential?

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world."

- Gandhi

wow that should be freggin sweet. i was contemplating glassing mine like that but i think ill be fine with just a flat baffle.

pm on the way.

meh. guess everyone is over in the lounge havin a circle jerk :p:

i dont know if i would say ib gets louder or more efficient but i do know it gets alot smoother. they tend to never have sharp peaks and sound more realistic in alot of cases 20-50 hz or so stays more linear in output.

Pioneer DEH-80PRS JL TwK88

Audiofrog GB10

SB Acoustics 5.25 and 6.5"

Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus 15

RF Punch amps

dynamat extreme

I've thought about going IB with my IDMAX but I can never commit to one box design :crap:

If you care about looks Req, you might as well glass your baffle just a little for looks :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Comming Spring 2009

I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

crunk_puke.gif

thats gonna sound incredible it really is

:wow:

99 G cherokee

headunit: deh-p720 premeir

Midbass: Diamond Hex 6.5

Tweeter: LPG NFa

Front stage amp: eclipse xa4000

Woofage: eD 16kv.2 3.5 @ 30hz

Sub amp: Eclipse xa1000

87 Nissan Hardbody

HU: Deh-p 3000ib

Comps: eD 6500

Front stage amp: pg 4.0:2

Woofage: 2 9kv.2s sealed

Sub amp: PG 4.0:2

well thank you all..

and squeak, use a PM if you are going to offer that kind of entertainment :naughty:

i should be out to Lowes tonight to exchange my router bit. the shank was too thick lol.

HELLSING for the win!!!

oh and those subs look pretty good too :)

~Magick_Man~

Eclipse CD7200MKii - Memphis "Big" Belle - AudioControl DQS/DDC

HAT L1V2 Tweeters - Focal Utopia 7W2 Mids

DIYMA R12 x 2

References:

CA.com: the cybe, loserpunk, mega1268, JAZN, Digital Mint, B_Campbell, Pickup1,

ndnbolla, jiggy2dmax, Carchrism5, JNTAR, SWEET06CAMRY, NoLimit, Mikeyboc,

10W3dodge96, Megalomaniac, Buffalohed, Bigbirney420, Chubby, Nbudros, JrVtecAccord, flipside1212

Icix: hificarguy, 2ndgen, Scout62, Infinity, Jet-Xino, Qalien, Hessdawg, CMILLET60

DIYMA: SQ_Baru, danssoslow, Minivanman, Cheesehead, Starboy869, JoeHemi57, LESS

style1,-wel-Magick-unl-Man-wel-.png

lol thanks for all the posative critism everyone :)

i got a lot of work done today, for some reason i was ambitious! so i got my router bits all sorted out, cut some IDQ holes [ IDQ15's are 6 15\16" mounting radius for those of you who are interested ]. i then rounded one side off with a 3\4" roundover bit and then i moved my wires from the floor of the trunk, up the sides of the rear seat area behind little inserts and thru the rear deck into the trunk from eaither side. i caulked the areas that were open up there [i ran out of caulk, i need to seal up two or three other small areas], and i screwed in my IB board.

as you can see, there are small gaps round the whole baffle, but im getting a few tubes of liquid nails to sort that all out. got some metal brackets up top that hold alot of the weight, and i got six or so screws going thru the metal skin of the floor there for some extra support [and yes i got under the car and looked, they are fine] the liquid nails will hold onto those screws for alot of added strength [think rebar in concrete].

n47191.jpg

n46zbd.jpg

here are my new 5 channel MEMPHIS 17' FLAT RIBBON interconnects - awesome awesome wires for under $20 - they are so easy to install under carpet and crap its unbelieveable. thats the right side speakier wires and remote line as well. and a ton of caulk sealing it all up

n48vtc.jpg

heres the driver side rear deck area - both 1\0 runs. one is power and one is ground - the ground is connected to one of the bolts for the rear strut up there, and the power goes all the way up to the engine, and two more speaker lines for the driver side mid\horn. and again, tons of caulk.

n48weg.jpg

tomrrow i get my [temporary] crossover - got it real cheap ;)

crossover2.jpg

Autotek FX-5A 5-way crossover

12dB per octave, 2nd order butterworth, 3v outputs

input 1: High Pass: 1K-8KHz

input 1: bandpass} High Pass: 90-1kHz ; Low Pass: 1K-8KHz

input 2: bandpass} High Pass: 90-1KHz ; Low Pass: 1K-8KHz

input 2: Low Pass: 90-1KHz

input 2: Low Pass: 40-90Hz

thats all for now. i should have more stuff for you all tomrrow :)

enjoy your superbowl weekend!

• Haha 1

lol thanks for all the posative critism everyone :)

i got a lot of work done today, for some reason i was ambitious! so i got my router bits all sorted out, cut some IDQ holes [ IDQ15's are 6 15\16" mounting radius for those of you who are interested ]. i then rounded one side off with a 3\4" roundover bit and then i moved my wires from the floor of the trunk, up the sides of the rear seat area behind little inserts and thru the rear deck into the trunk from eaither side. i caulked the areas that were open up there [i ran out of caulk, i need to seal up two or three other small areas], and i screwed in my IB board.

as you can see, there are small gaps round the whole baffle, but im getting a few tubes of liquid nails to sort that all out. got some metal brackets up top that hold alot of the weight, and i got six or so screws going thru the metal skin of the floor there for some extra support [and yes i got under the car and looked, they are fine] the liquid nails will hold onto those screws for alot of added strength [think rebar in concrete].

n47191.jpg

n46zbd.jpg

here are my new 5 channel MEMPHIS 17' FLAT RIBBON interconnects - awesome awesome wires for under $20 - they are so easy to install under carpet and crap its unbelieveable. thats the right side speakier wires and remote line as well. and a ton of caulk sealing it all up

n48vtc.jpg

heres the driver side rear deck area - both 1\0 runs. one is power and one is ground - the ground is connected to one of the bolts for the rear strut up there, and the power goes all the way up to the engine, and two more speaker lines for the driver side mid\horn. and again, tons of caulk.

n48weg.jpg

tomrrow i get my [temporary] crossover - got it real cheap ;)

crossover2.jpg

thats all for now. i should have more stuff for you all tomrrow :)

enjoy your superbowl weekend!

you talk about caulk alot :crazy: lookin good though... so your actually not going to be running full range anymore? its gonna sound sweet:up2somet:

here is my idea for my amprack too;

n4a792.jpg

comments? suggestions? please let me know!

yea, if ya read it - im getting some liquid nails tomrrow and gonna go round the whole thing with it. and then whatever is left im gonna caulk shut.

• Sad 1

caulk eh? you'll be using a lot of that for sure:p:

:confused:

thats what they usually do though take off the trim peices you will go blah lol some guys go with clean lines no trim peices and think its better yet it never looks finished

Pioneer DEH-80PRS JL TwK88

Audiofrog GB10

SB Acoustics 5.25 and 6.5"

Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus 15

RF Punch amps

dynamat extreme

looking good, now get back to work :)

REFS:JimJ, DBfan187, jimj, ology audio, excelerater, private pastry, kenny pollock, priosonnumber6, johnnyber, mattmmcs, vosschs, lax916, davidfre21, iceteebone, cd6551, vladd and others that I cant remember off the top of my head

I feel like when im bumpin once it gets dark....the street lights often go out. I was driving home the other night and like 3 street lights went out in like 15 minutes.

Does this happen a lot to any of you??

Also if you have had the twix ice cream......isnt it amazing!

damn. 8 10"s?........80" of cone area FTW!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new FREE account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now