Agree or Disagree With This Theory

Harrison486
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
New Jersey
Hey guys? Whats going on?

Well, I was reading through the thread "Best single subsetup for SPL" thread (here) and came across some interesting thinking of some of the members on this board. Spkrman specifically.

In the thread, he stated the following

trunk car, one 12 is your loudest setup period.
one 15 and your choking air off.
He then went on to say

yes... typically in a trunk one 15 is louder than 2 12's.
But, I said one 12 is louder than one 15 in most trunks...
So he is saying that 1 12" is louder than 1 15" which is louder than 2 12"s...

Is this true? 1 12" is louder than 2 12"s? How is that possible just looking at displacement and all.

So if I were to get another 12" CVR for my car and run a dual ported setup, it would be less loud? This just does not make sense to me.

I tried to ask Spkrman to explain his tihnking to me, and he just responded that he had done a lot of testing and that I had a lot to learn about the car audio world //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

If you add another woofer, you might not be as loud unless you buy another amp also. You are cutting your power to each sub by 1/2

Generalizations imo. Not every 12 or 15 is made the same. There are many 12's that displace more air than alot of 15's can.... how would this fall into his generalizations?

Please do not listen to that rubbish. comparing identical drivers of different sizes a 15" will most likely be louder than a 12". If installed to there full potential. and two 12" subs will most likely be louder than a single 15".

If you add another woofer, you might not be as loud unless you buy another amp also. You are cutting your power to each sub by 1/2
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

Adding another driver is not a guaranty to increase your output. You would also need to increase power. Say you have 500 watts on one speaker. Adding another speaker each getting 250 you might get little to no gains. You would need to up it to 1000 watts 500 each speaker.

Yeah, but I was considering that both would be powered addiquately. He seemed to even think that when both were getting the right power, 1 12" with the right power would be louder than 2 12"s with the right power (or 1 15" for that matter)

Yeah, but I was considering that both would be powered addiquately. He seemed to even think that when both were getting the right power, 1 12" with the right power would be louder than 2 12"s with the right power (or 1 15" for that matter)
Complete and udder rubbish. If you are wanting more output adding another speaker and doubling the power is going to yield you more. "if installed properly"

I believe that spkrman is thinking along the lines of the enclosure. For a woofer to work well, it needs certain airspace, not only in the box it is in, but also in the room it is in. All speakers react with the air in front of them just as much as the air behind them. If you put a 6 cube box (think a ported 15), in a 12 cube trunk, it won't sound as good as it would if the box were outside in free air.

im not agreeing or disagreeing, but spkrman is the one who put up those amazing numbers on the type s and r's, im betting he has some kind of point behind what hes saying

im not agreeing or disagreeing, but spkrman is the one who put up those amazing numbers on the type s and r's, im betting he has some kind of point behind what hes saying
If you're going to base his knowledge on that, did he provide proof of the numbers claimed?

I'm not doubting at all, just saying if you wish to base trust on some DB score make sure it's a proven score.

He's talking about on the TL Sensor, SPL you tards.
NG
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

That was in reference to SPL in the lanes.

But, either way; he was making an ass load of generalizations.

I love it when people cram 4 15's in the trunk and wonder why its not loud... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

in my experiences... 1 12 is the ticket in a trunk... but I dunno anything

Loyd L.

i think he was just refering to optimizing the usable space in a trunk. very rarely can you do a 15" in a trunk and get out of it everything possible. as far as the two 12"s versus a single 12", maybe he is thinking about cancellation, but with only two drivers it shouldnt be bad at all, dont really know what he was getting at. if you can do a 15" properly in a trunk, then why would you do a 12"? nonsense.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.