Theory Time

Which woofers do you intend to mount here? What are you trying to accomplish?

Just the fact of having two woofers on either side won't be an issue anyway, but there may be some other weak point of this idea depending on what you think you're going to do.

I haven't really designed a system yet. And I'm not talking about 2 on each side, just 1 for the left channel and 1 for the right channel, 2 total. I was just wondering how the left and right channels would respond in the same enclosure. If you did it in a home system, I would think it would create some weird sounds?

Last edited:
Cancellation shouldn’t be an issue unless you are in fact running a "stereo low frequency signal" through them with differing signals on each channel. However, most bass / low frequencies in music is mono, so cancellation by running a pair of woofers, with a proper low pass filter, should not be a problem at all. I'd be more concerned with mounting them well and sealing the baffle. Of course you could run into a song with oddly recorded bass, which could perhaps cause an issue, but rather unlikely. If you used a mono amp, or a stereo amp bridged, this would stop that rare possibility. People have run subs mounted like you propose for years. Google "infinite baffle install" and or "free air subwoofer install" and you will find photos / forum threads on the subject, do some reading on it as you decide / plan.

Cancellation shouldn’t be an issue unless you are in fact running a "stereo low frequency signal" through them with differing signals on each channel. However, most bass / low frequencies in music is mono, so cancellation by running a pair of woofers, with a proper low pass filter, should not be a problem at all. I'd be more concerned with mounting them well and sealing the baffle. Of course you could run into a song with oddly recorded bass, which could perhaps cause an issue, but rather unlikely. If you used a mono amp, or a stereo amp bridged, this would stop that rare possibility. People have run subs mounted like you propose for years. Google "infinite baffle install" and or "free air subwoofer install" and you will find photos / forum threads on the subject, do some reading on it as you decide / plan.
If I did this it would be with 2 way coaxial 6x9's. So there would be some midrange involved besides the low bass.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about then. I did think that a huge area like a trunk would allow the woofer to 'flex' too much and might damage it or at least distort the sound.

That is very common then, most or nearly every old sedan had rear speakers / coaxials exactly like that run in stereo. I can't say with really modern vehicles, but all the vehicles (older) I have worked on had 6x9's (or 6x8) mounted to the rear shelf right in the trunk as you describe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...