Would this work?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
Ohio
Hey so I'm considering building a custom under seat box for my Wrangler JL. I've seen talk about up and down firing under seat subs not being ideal, is this something that can work? I found this box on ebay to use for reference:

He claims 1.1 cubic feet of air space. Im considering replicating this enclosure for either 2 12s or 2 10s. Would it be possible, and worth it to "wall off" each side of that box at the center hump and make that a port? I haven't measured what the dimensions would be precisely, but likely 2-3 inches tall, 6-8 inches wide (width could be expanded if needed) and the length of the box. Port could be either forward or rear firing. Opinions? I'm very novice at box and port design, so just looking for pointers. Have not purchased any materials or components yet, so open to recommendations.

Thanks for any help.

Got it. Scrapping that idea then, would I be able to get half assed decent sound from this layout in a sealed setup?

Really depends on what you would consider half assed. Many people run setups like that and love it. But most on this site would not. If you don't want to take up any cargo room I think that is probably going to be your best bet.

Really depends on what you would consider half assed. Many people run setups like that and love it. But most on this site would not. If you don't want to take up any cargo room I think that is probably going to be your best bet.

Roger that thanks. Yeah, not wanting to take up cargo room. The other option is the little JL stealthboxes, which while cool and efficient space wise, are far out of my budget at almost $700 empty. This is a wrangler, its never going to be a great audio platform by any stretch of the imagination. Just trying to get some tighter bass and a little more thump than the stock Alpine is giving me. This things been a pain to develope a build in. Front speakers fire down, tweets fire up, and the rear speakers are above my head.

Next question, would it be best to separate the box into two boxes, or keep it open in the middle? Also, with this planned box, what sort of sub wattage should I be looking at? The one audio upside to this vehicle is that is comes with a 220v alternator and 2 batteries.

Honestly upgrades need to stay minimum for now lol. Its a 1 month old 2021, and I don't want to give the dealer much to fight me on warranty wise.

220 amp alt.
Next question, would it be best to separate the box into two boxes, or keep it open in the middle? Also, with this planned box, what sort of sub wattage should I be looking at? The one audio upside to this vehicle is that is comes with a 220v (amp) alternator and 2 batteries.

Wouldn't make a difference. I have only done separate chambers with 4th order bandpass sealed sections just incase I killed a subwoofer the others wouldn't be playing in 2+ times the sealed section and bottom out before it could be turned down.

I would probably add a dowel brace in the center though.

Lol yes 220 amp. 220 volt would make for an interesting firework show though.

Depending on the way I build it out it may support the rear seats, so I'm planning on many supports.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
LsGuy
Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from