Would this work?

Participant count
  • Participant list
8s for me. I would even pick 8s over shallow mount 12s.

That was my initial thought. I would take two Sundown 8's or even the VFL 8's. You can still throw 600 watts at each of them and they do work. I think the OP should raise the seat a couple of inches and get get two 8's (if they'll fit) or 4 6-½'s facing forward. Along with a decent amp (MD1200 or MD1800).

I’ve worked with shallow mounts when necessary, usually because the client had already purchased them and brought them to me for a box build. They aren’t bad if necessary. The last build I did was for a pair of pioneers. I ported them, subs firing forward with an aero port firing to the passenger side. I didn’t expect much, but they did sound decent. He was a primarily a country music listener, and he loved them.

I can look into raising the seats, but I don't think its viable. Too many mounting points and struts to deal with, and it wouldn't let the seat fold flat .

I can look into raising the seats, but I don't think its viable. Too many mounting points and struts to deal with, and it wouldn't let the seat fold flat .

Then, I would rather have 4- 6-1/2's facing forward than two shallow tens. If shallow is your only choice, then, the shallow JL's are probably your best choice. Kind of pricey though.

Then, I would rather have 4- 6-1/2's facing forward than two shallow tens. If shallow is your only choice, then, the shallow JL's are probably your best choice. Kind of pricey though.
I'm not sure how much space I need between the magnet and the base of the box, but it looks like I can get box inside height to close to 6 inches. I feel like you could put a medium tall 10 in there. Maybe I'm wrong though I'm not a pro at this.q

I'm not sure how much space I need between the magnet and the base of the box, but it looks like I can get box inside height to close to 6 inches. I feel like you could put a medium tall 10 in there. Maybe I'm wrong though I'm not a pro at this.q

½" between magnet and box should work. A pair of American Bass XD844's wired to one ohm with a 1,500 watt amp would work. A Taramps MD1200 one ohm version would work. I'm sure tgat there are some 10's out there that might work as well. Just try and avoid shallow mount at all cost.

½" between magnet and box should work. A pair of American Bass XD844's wired to one ohm with a 1,500 watt amp would work. A Taramps MD1200 one ohm version would work. I'm sure tgat there are some 10's out there that might work as well. Just try and avoid shallow mount at all cost.
If I can push that inside height dimension to 6 inches then, leaving half an inch below, I can get away with ~5.5 inch tall speaker. I could probably squeeze 2 12s in it, but would it be more efficient at 1.1 cubic ft shared to run with 10s? Understand also I do not believe I need 1500 watts for this system. Again, I could be wrong there. The subs will be 2 feet directly behind me. I like to feel it a little in my chest, but I'm not looking for it to make my eyes cross or control my breathing.

Volume wise I'd like for it to be able to keep up with the new system when I install it in a few years. For now though, the stock alpine system gets pretty loud, but sub excluded there isn't a speaker in that vehicle over 4 inches. Unfortunately I'm sort of stuck with it for now. The head unit blows, rather than investing in a PAC or similar unit, I really just want to swap head units entirely to the Heigh10 for factory function retention. After speaking with my dealer though and several other dealers, a head unit swap will void sections of my warranty that I am not comfortable voiding. After researching on the jeep forum, concensus is cheap focal 165's in the knee panels and some infinity 3022's in the dash corners really bring out the mids and highs on the factory alpine amp. I already owned both sets of speakers from previous builds so they will be going in when the subs do.

TLDR, I honestly thought ~500 watts RMS each would provide what I'm looking for. Back in the day I had a pair of "Niche Competition" 10s in the back of my mustang running on a 1k watt Diesel amp in a ported box, and that hit more than hard enough for that setup. I do understand this box will be smaller and sealed, but I'm not sure wattage range I should be investigating.

So interesting development. 6.5s should fit with no modification.

About an inch above and below. So, what are thoughts on this, 6.5s front firing, or 10s firing into the seats?

Multiple 6.5s ported over two 10s sealed firing up for sure.

4 6.5s would be slightly less cone area but the ported box should over come that difference pretty easily.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LsGuy

Manila Gorilla
LsGuy
Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from