CarAudio.com Newbie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200513-230711_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200513-230711_Samsung Internet.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20200513-230719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200513-230719_Samsung Internet.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 100
2 subs with each voice coil wired in parallel would be matched at 800W RMS on both the amp and the subs, so I'd say so as long as by "subs" you mean 2
Okay what about the max peak watts? I know the amp says 1500w x 1 channel and the sub is showing 1400w for one wouldnt I need 2,800w max for output?

Okay what about the max peak watts? I know the amp says 1500w x 1 channel and the sub is showing 1400w for one wouldnt I need 2,800w max for output?
"Max" or "Peak" is marketing ********, it's not even standard what it means between brands. RMS is the better value to go by and if you can get CEA-2006 rated RMS that's the ultimate standard for power rating. Generally though so long as you go with reputable brands RMS values are accurate and Pioneer is reputable.

Yes theoretically if I used that amp it would blow my subs correct? Being 1200w rms?
Only if you don't properly throttle it back with a multimeter or oscilloscope, but in general it's good to match them because clipping is much easier for beginners to set to avoid and the amp will clip right at the level the subwoofer is starting to exceed its rating too.

Technically at 2 ohms it provides 800W, but the issue with that is with only two dual voice coil 4 ohm subs there's no way to get 2 ohms of impedance unless you ditch one of the subs. You have to choose between 1, 4, or 8 and those ohm values don't match as well as the 2 ohm one.

Only if you don't properly throttle it back with a multimeter or oscilloscope, but in general it's good to match them because clipping is much easier for beginners to set to avoid and the amp will clip right at the level the subwoofer is starting to exceed its rating too.
What do you mean throttle back how does that work? I'll never be maxing the radio so no worries there never have and never will. Sounds bad.

Technically at 2 ohms it provides 800W, but the issue with that is with only two dual voice coil 4 ohm subs there's no way to get 2 ohms of impedance unless you ditch one of the subs. You have to choose between 1, 4, or 8 and those ohm values don't match as well as the 2 ohm one.
Well I should be fine then if I use the amp I posted above which hits 800w rms x1 channel at 1 ohm? No issues or dialing anything down?

What do you mean throttle back how does that work? I'll never be maxing the radio so no worries there never have and never will. Sounds bad.
rmschartpm5-1.jpg

So you'd plug a multimeter into the terminals instead of a speaker on the amp and then set all the equalizers and boosts to 0 and play a sine wave tone, usually at like 40-80hz. Use this graph to reference what voltage you're looking for as you adjust your gain setting to achieve the rating of your speakers and then you're done.

It's worth mentioning on this you'll need a true RMS multimeter for a reliable reading.

Gotcha ill just stick with my 800rms amp! Haha thank you so much for all the feedback I really do appreciate it!

Not a problem. If you decide you'd like a different sub or amp I could give some suggestions, but Pioneer's alright and you'll usually get what you pay for with them.

Taramp was one mentioned earlier and they're always worth the money too if they have the specs you need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.