Would 2 10" subs sound better than a single 12" sub?

Allright then... I'm not going to argue (at this point). Instead, please enlighten me. If the moving mass of a driver has nothing watsoever to do with transient response - and I DO accept that possibility, but not without an explanation - then my understanding is flawed.

So for my own information, can someone please explain what, exactly, transient response is, and what factors in a driver's construction contribute to it. Everything I've ever read or seen seems to indicate that transient response is primarily based on the speed with which a magnet/voice coil assembly can accelerate the cone. If I'm wrong, then I need to understand.

Originally posted by afroide Allright then... I'm not going to argue (at this point). Instead, please enlighten me. If the moving mass of a driver has nothing watsoever to do with transient response - and I DO accept that possibility, but not without an explanation - then my understanding is flawed.

So for my own information, can someone please explain what, exactly, transient response is, and what factors in a driver's construction contribute to it. Everything I've ever read or seen seems to indicate that transient response is primarily based on the speed with which a magnet/voice coil assembly can accelerate the cone. If I'm wrong, then I need to understand.
Mass only effects it to about a quarter of a degree that decay due to voice coil inductance does. So if you feel you have one that doesn't (I hate this term but I'll use it) 'hit hard, or 'sound tight', look at the size and the inductance of the coil being used. If you cannot find that information, you probablly know why! The BL product of a motor is very sickeningly strong (try to hold a driver down when you are really putting power to it once, you'll feel a LOT of force happening there) and if the driver is properly designed it will have no issues at all moving that mass around.

Transient response IS frequency response. People that seem to think they are separate just haven't broke it down into the reality of it all yet. You'll find that 99% of the time people that feel their sub is more 'punchy' have more output in the 50~80 hz range than the other subs they feel are 'not punchy.' It's that crossover point toward the midrange that audibly creates this situation.

I am in the same situation....

money aside......2 10" JBL GTIs or 1 12" GTI?

either way I would be using only a single 1200.1 to power it/them

My goal is to have the bass that you can feel punch you in your chest on a hard hit when the volume is cranked......I listen to almost exclusively hip-hop and am planning (hopefully, unless someone convicnes me otherwise) to have it/them in a sealed enclosure. They will be going into a mazda protege if that matters, possibly inverted firing into the floor.

I have 10s now and they are loud enough but they dont have the punch (of course they are old low end RFs with 400 watts, as opposed ot new high end JBLs with 1200)

thanks

if you want that "tight' sounding bass, you need to match the sub output with the midbass. if your midbass is too weak, its gonna sound pretty darn boomy.

midbass will be provided by 6.5" JBL GTI components in the front doors with a 180.2 amp and 2 way JBL power series 6.5"s in the rear doors for fill

so.....is the 1 12 gonna punch me harder than 2 10s?

i wanna buy my **** ASAP but cant decide which way to go....

the install would be a lot prettier with 2 10s than 1 12

ok the reason why 2 10"s are better than 1 12"

10's cone surface = 157.00

12 cone surface = 113.04

but the SQ difference will be almost unnoticable if you are running the same subs in sealed boxes

now the 12", being a larger speaker is going to be able to hit lower correct? but in my case, lower does not mean better because I want the punch to the chest, which comes from 50-70hz, so for me I might as well go with 2 10s because they will be louder than 1 12" and hit equally as hard. In theory the downfall of 2 10"s would be SQ since one sub is always cleaner than two, but since SQ isnt my concern, and as you mentioned the difference is negligible in this situation anyways i might as well get 2 10s....

is this right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.