Wishing you could have another sub but theres no space? I have the solution!

themainman
10+ year member

message board god
wpb fl
Wishing you could add theat extra sub but you just don't have the space for a bigger box? Not to fear the mainman is here.

Front to Front Isobarik application.

The primary benifit of any isobarik configuration is that it allows you to cut the size of your enclosure in half with respect to having that of a single driver. This can be valuable if you are trying to squeeze a subwoofer box into a tight space.The only price is having to buy a second sub.. The acoustic sensitivity of an isobarik pair is also 3 dB lower than that of a single driver due to doubling the size of the effective cone mass. This is even 6 dB lower than your standard two subs in an enclosure.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Of all the isobarik configurations, front to front is the most useful for subwoofer applications. In addition to cutting the enclosure in half, the front to front setup also provides the even-order distortion.

Isobarik loading can be used with sealed, ported, or bandpass designs, although bandpass designs can be difficult to get right. The follow the same box design procedure as you would for a single sub, but assume that you are using a driver having a (V as) value half that of an actual single driver. This method will end up giving you a box that is half the original size, and any port calculations will come out right.

When mounting the drivers, a spacer must be used between the two subs to prevent the surrounds from rubbing on each other. A ring or a medium density fiberboard (MDF) with appropriately spaced holes to pass the mounting bolts/screws through. Lay the bootom driver in the box after wiring it up then lay the MDF ring on top of this sub. Invert the second sub over the first so they are facing each other. Now line up the mounting holes and screw the whole assembly to the enclosure. The outer sub should have its leads wired in a reversed fashion . This will assure that both subs are moving in the same directionwhen voltage is applied.

Touble Shooting: If you hook everything up and get no bass from your subwoofers, chances are that you've got a driver's polarity reversed. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/patriotic.gif.b47a6e0394a3738334c387bdf79409f4.gif

isn't a new one though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

but thanks for the intro for the newbs anyway

The two subs are facing each other so will see only the back of the outside of the sub. box = [ ] sub = so what you have will look like this [

Thanks req.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

isn't a new one though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
but thanks for the intro for the newbs anyway
It's about 50 years old.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

I did this a while ago and there's a pic in my gallery... willl see if i can dig it up.

-nick

*http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showphoto.php?photo=4102&sort=2&cat=500&page=1

I did this with some 8's, and it's a pretty good idea if you're trying to save space. If you've got the room, though, you should keep them seperate, it'll take 4 times the box volume but have twice the output of two subs mounted isobarically.

Let's say that you've got one subwoofer, and it's reccommended volume is 1 ft^3. If you mount two of them isobarically, the reccommended volume is cut to 0.5 ft^3. If you put them in the same box, but not isobarically, the reccommended volume is 2.0 ft^3. If you give each subwoofer the same amount of power, the single sub and the isobaric setup will have the same output, and the two seperate subwoofers will have more output than either of the other two setups. So, if you've got limited space, isobaric is the way to go. I believe that's the only advantage it has over other mounting options.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.