Wiring Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Krumy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Florida
Hello everyone, first post so I will try to be as detailed as I can. I'm going to outline my system, and then I will follow it up with my questions/concerns.

Car: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited w/o factory amp
Head unit: Previously a Sony MEX-XB100BT, switching to Pioneer W2700NEX
Amps: NVX MVPA1 micro monoblock(200w rms @ 4ohm) and now adding NVX VADM4(300w rms @ 4ohms)
Sub: Pioneer TS-SW2502S4 (4ohm 300w rms)
Speakers: Sony XS-R1646 (50w rms 4ohm)
Wiring: 8 gauge power wires to each amp, 16 gauge wires to speakers and I believe there is 16 gauge to the sub as well but I will have to check.

I am running RCAs from each amp to the head unit since I have read this is better than running a standard wire. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

I understand my speakers and sub are not the best of the best, but my philosophy on the speakers is that if they blow, I'll get better ones. The sub has blown once and was replaced for free and other than that it has been great for the custom small sealed cubby box I have.

I have a fused distro block for the power wire coming from the battery, and a solid distro block for the grounds coming from the amps. My questions are:

1. If I have 8 gauge power and ground wires running to and from the amps, should I use a thicker gauge from battery to distro block and from distro to ground or would 8 gauge be enough for that as well?
2. What fuse size for the distribution block that the power wire runs into? It holds 2 mini anl fuses and I am not sure the calculation for what fuse size. Any help would be appreicated.
3. Will I just need the fuses in the fused distribution block or will I have to run another in-line fuse?
4. I would like to run a bass control knob.( I understand they are more of a gain knob, but they seem more convenient than going through my radio settings or adjusting my amp every time I want to change my subs thump thump potential.) For this, how would I connect the RCAs? Would I run the sub RCAs to the control knob, and then another set of RCAs from the knob to the radio?

Thank you, any help is appreciated and welcomed. Excited to be a part of the forum. If there is any information that is needed that I did not provide, please let me know and I will do my best to get it to you.

2. The fused distribution block should be at or more than the power of the amps.

1. The wire needs to be capable of more than what the fuse is.
4 ga should be plenty for that main power wire and ground.

Your main power wire's inline fuse needs to be equal to or more than the amps. (and less than what the wire is capable of.

3. The fused distribution block is perfect for the wire after the block to the amp. Your fuses are there to protect the wire. You are intentionally creating a weak point so that if something goes wrong, it's in a place where it can be protected and fixed easily.

4. If your sub amp doesn't have a remote knob, you can always add a knob inline on the RCAs. There are plenty of styles, like this:
Amazon product ASIN B003FPD3IS

2. The fused distribution block should be at or more than the power of the amps.

1. The wire needs to be capable of more than what the fuse is.
4 ga should be plenty for that main power wire and ground.

Your main power wire's inline fuse needs to be equal to or more than the amps. (and less than what the wire is capable of.

3. The fused distribution block is perfect for the wire after the block to the amp. Your fuses are there to protect the wire. You are intentionally creating a weak point so that if something goes wrong, it's in a place where it can be protected and fixed easily.

4. If your sub amp doesn't have a remote knob, you can always add a knob inline on the RCAs. There are plenty of styles, like this:
Amazon product ASIN B003FPD3IS
1. Okay, so 4 gauge from the battery to the distribution block and from the ground distribution block to the frame.
2. I apologize, but I don't necessarily understand this. So if my amps combined are 500w rms, how would I calculate the fuse sizes to put in the mini anl fuse holders in the distribution block?
3. So if I understand correctly, the distribution block fuses protect the wires running to the amps, then I would need another inline fuse from the battery to the distribution block to protect the main power wire?
4. I have a control knob that is very similar to that. My question is, would I run the sub RCAs to the knob output and then run another set of RCAs from the knob input to the head unit RCA connections?

Thank you

Put a fuse within about 18 inches from your battery about 100 amp or so (for 4g wire)...then look at the manufacturer recommended fuse size for each amp...there should be paperwork with them that states the sizes

Last edited:
1,3,&4 Yes
2. The amps should say what size fuse to use. Most amps have onboard fuses. 500w / .85 (average amp efficiency unless you can find yours) = 588 watt draw. / 14.4 (running) voltage = 40.8 amps. (Its about 8 amps for every 100watts (roughly)).

Put a fuse within about 18 inches from your battery about 100 amp or so (for 4g wire)...then look at the manufacturer recommended fuse size for each amp...there should be paperwork with them that states the sizes
Okay, so 100 amp on the 4 gauge. I looked up my amps on nvx's website and sonic electronix but i can only find the fuse size that they use on the amp themselves. For ex, my mvpa1 uses two 15 amp fuses. My 4 channel does not seem to have any onboard fuses. At least, none that are external and there is no mention of fuses on the company website or on sonic.
1,3,&4 Yes
2. The amps should say what size fuse to use. Most amps have onboard fuses. 500w / .85 (average amp efficiency unless you can find yours) = 588 watt draw. / 14.4 (running) voltage = 40.8 amps. (Its about 8 amps for every 100watts (roughly)).
So since the distribution block has a fuse for each wire, since I cant find fuse information for my amps, would the calculations go as follows.

MVPA1=250/.85= 294/14.4=20.4
VADM4=300/.85=353/14.4=24.5

Which would mean two 30 amp mini anl fuses? One for each amp, since I assume you round up for the fuse size.

Okay, so 100 amp on the 4 gauge. I looked up my amps on nvx's website and sonic electronix but i can only find the fuse size that they use on the amp themselves. For ex, my mvpa1 uses two 15 amp fuses. My 4 channel does not seem to have any onboard fuses. At least, none that are external and there is no mention of fuses on the company website or on sonic.

So since the distribution block has a fuse for each wire, since I cant find fuse information for my amps, would the calculations go as follows.

MVPA1=250/.85= 294/14.4=20.4
VADM4=300/.85=353/14.4=24.5

Which would mean two 30 amp mini anl fuses? One for each amp, since I assume you round up for the fuse size.
Or a 25 and a 30, 25s are just harder to find in stores. I may be able to get one from my local audio installer. I already have to talk to them to see if I can buy some 4 gauge from them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...